Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think I would prefer it stick as an RPG or go the route of the FF7 remake. Parasite Eve 2 would work well as an over the shoulder but so few rpgs are set in the modern day, it would be a shame to lose a good one.
It could work fine by adding in the over-the-shoulder elements and keeping the action rpg elements from PE1. You would be getting the first game, but semi-RE4/RE2R style. I know PE2 was more RE style in the past, but kinda worked against it. The lack of a memorable soundtrack and more "ambiance" didn't do PE2 favors.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It could work fine by adding in the over-the-shoulder elements and keeping the action rpg elements from PE1. You would be getting the first game, but semi-RE4/RE2R style. I know PE2 was more RE style in the past, but kinda worked against it. The lack of a memorable soundtrack and more "ambiance" didn't do PE2 favors.
I still love PE2, I liked the more action focus and how it actually had the military being effective. I still love the cutscene they show up in and just totally destroy a huge group these enemies that are pretty powerful.

But it is kinda curious how they didn't go with an amazing sound track like PE1 had.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still love PE2, I liked the more action focus and how it actually had the military being effective. I still love the cutscene they show up in and just totally destroy a huge group these enemies that are pretty powerful.
That at least makes sense, as the military isn't caught unaware and more prepared for the type of monsters they're fighting. In first game, they tried, but there is not much you can do against a near Godlike being that can cause you to self-combust, mutate you into a monster, or turn you into orange goop (which does happen to the pilots in the jets trying to bomb Eve).

But it is kinda curious how they didn't go with an amazing sound track like PE1 had.
I couldn't tell you, other than possibly missing the point with why RE's soundtracks usually worked. They do have ambience from time to time, but most RE titles have actual music and the occasional ambient/atmospheric sounds and background sounds.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That at least makes sense, as the military is caught unaware more prepared for the type of monsters they're fighting. In first game, they tried, but there is not much you can do against a near Godlike being that can cause you to self-combust, mutate you into a monster, or turn you into orange goop (which does happen to the pilots in the jets trying to bomb Eve).
In 2 they can't go into the bunker since they would catch fire, but it doesn't stop them from easily mowing down the most powerful enemies in the game like its nothing outside.

I couldn't tell you, other than possibly missing the point with why RE's soundtracks usually worked. They do have ambience from time to time, but most RE titles have actual music and the occasional ambient/atmospheric sounds and background sounds.
It does still have some bangers.
... Well, one banger.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In 2 they can't go into the bunker since they would catch fire, but it doesn't stop them from easily mowing down the most powerful enemies in the game like its nothing outside.
Well it's a good thing the most powerful monsters decided to not to be in the bunker.

Well, one banger.
Accurate. Though that's just a remix of the first game's main theme. I actually do like Mist, the next song that pops up on the playlist. Though it sounds like something you'd hear in a Silent Hill game composed by Yamaoka.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
PE1/2 are pretty different game, imo they both work in they're own way. Ultimately I tip a bit more toward 2 because of the variety of weapon as you go trough the game is better, whereas 1 had plenty of weapons but they didn't really change the way you played the game. But I'd like a remake of 1 more (or a sequel in the vein of), because the setting is more interesting and I didn't care that much for the story of 2 once they got to the bunker, since it was a bit too wacky (why would people pay to be turned into baby monster that suicide themselves?).

So I guess gameplay 2 > 1 but story 1 > 2. And yeah there's just no question that 1 has the better ost, but it goes with change in gameplay.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Neat, I'll have to catch up with it when I get the chance.
Did you watch his Firefighter F.D. 18 playthrough? Now that one was interesting. The game is like a fever dream about firefighters. Also, the fire effects were honestly really impressive for the PS2, I'm actually kind of surprised I'd never heard of the game before.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Different damage types rarely make a game more fun. It's usually a matter of trial and error where you try every damage type on an enemy until you find the one that works best, which isn't fun, or you just might not be able to deal that damage type on your current build and it's pretty much a moot point. Armor is the same you either just immediately re-equip to take less damage or you don't because you don't have the right equipment. I don't know what part of this is supposed to be fun.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Different damage types rarely make a game more fun. It's usually a matter of trial and error where you try every damage type on an enemy until you find the one that works best, which isn't fun, or you just might not be able to deal that damage type on your current build and it's pretty much a moot point. Armor is the same you either just immediately re-equip to take less damage or you don't because you don't have the right equipment. I don't know what part of this is supposed to be fun.
It's a stealthy difficulty system, if you fail the first time at a tough encounter, you'll be able to try again but already knowing what the enemy will use against you and they're weak too.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Ehh, still preferable IMO to not having it in some cases if the alternative is just using the same tactic for every enemy. They would need to all have more varied movesets to compensate. It adds a strategical element when you know it’s much more effective using a specific damage type. It also encourages the player to switch up their attacks with weapons that do multiple damage types.

Is this regarding DS3? I think the issue with earlier FROM games is the player has less options to adapt until late game, because of the more linear progression. Elden Ring made it easier but the caveat is needing a guide to find stuff the first time. I suppose that’s the main incentive to explore.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ehh, still preferable IMO to not having it in some cases if the alternative is just using the same tactic for every enemy. They would need to all have more varied movesets to compensate. It adds a strategical element when you know it’s much more effective using a specific damage type. It also encourages the player to switch up their attacks with weapons that do multiple damage types.

Is this regarding DS3? I think the issue with earlier FROM games is the player has less options to adapt until late game, because of the more linear progression. Elden Ring made it easier but the caveat is needing a guide to find stuff the first time. I suppose that’s the main incentive to explore.
DS3 brought it to my mind, but I don't think I've ever found it a very interesting mechanic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I disagree big time with that title. Wanted: Dead is game with 5 levels, launched at $70 on next gen consoles, combat that's worse than any of the No More Heroes games (keep in mind many former mid-level Ninja Gaiden developers worked on this ), and aside from some visuals, most of the enemies are functionally identical, barring one minor exception in one of the later stages. I was interested at time, but even at a low price, I'm not interested.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
"servers at full capacity plz try again later"

-

Now learning there is indeed such a thing as something you like becoming "too" popular, particularly where the product you bought literally won't function cause of it lmao

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Arkham Origins is better than Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
A spiritual successor to the Zelda CD-I games is a flawed concept. Part of the limited appeal of bad games is the assumption that they are unintentionally bad so you can wonder how the creator possibly thought it was good enough for a commercial release. If the creator is in on the joke and creating something bad on purpose, half of the humour at least is lost and you are just left with something bad that isn't very funny.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember back in 2019, people complained the boss battles weren't good in Resident Evil 2 Remake or are "ammo dump" bosses. Both are bullshit. On a first time, you're not going to know what to do. But by your 3rd, 4th, or 5th playthrough, you'll know how to tackle G's forms properly, or take on Mr. X as Leon. In fact, the bosses actually get easier on 2nd Scenario, because you'll get Claire's or Leon's powerful weapons much earlier before facing G1! Leon B can get the magnum and it's first upgrade early, while Claire B can get the MQ11 with the suppressor! These bosses can still be challenging, but once you know how they click, and you've been saving your most powerful ammo, you can be dancing circles around all the G forms.

Obviously Hardcore is more difficult, and enemies get tankier and can kill you in two hits, but the game gives you a warning, so that's on the gamer by that point.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon