Your video game hot take(s) thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's really fucking annoying when games put out expansions that make the base game incredibly hard to get into. I had the same experience with Cyberpunk, and now I'm having it with Monster Hunter World. MHW is very much a "look shit up online" kinda game, but 80% of what you find online is only relevant to the Iceborne expansion.
I can't comment on MHW since my recent second attempt to get into it failed before it really even got started but I think part of what you're experiencing is also the nature of "helpful" internet commentary.

Like it seems most Elden Ring tips are "get the Moonveil Katana" or "level up [whatever stat] to 60" which is about as helpful as telling someone interested in learning chess to just "think 10 moves ahead."

Or Witcher 3 tips which tell you to get an ability from a DLC expansion designed to be played after you beat the whole (notoriously very long) game.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Watched IGN's MGS3 preview. I'm starting to dislike the term "quality of life." Ignored it for the longest time, just didn't think much of it, but now I see it's used by people who want everything homogenized. The quality-of-life enhancements to them are generally everything working the same as in other games they've played so that they don't have to learn or adapt.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Watched IGN's MGS3 preview. I'm starting to dislike the term "quality of life." Ignored it for the longest time, just didn't think much of it, but now I see it's used by people who want everything homogenized. The quality-of-life enhancements to them are generally everything working the same as in other games they've played so that they don't have to learn or adapt.
Sometimes there are things that have been figured out and there's no need to change them just for the sake of "standing out."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Sometimes there are things that have been figured out and there's no need to change them just for the sake of "standing out."
And a lot of the time, what works best for one game doesn't for another. But so many features are now implemented universally without much thought.

"More essential is the fact that Snake can now crouch-walk, another feature first included in the 3DS version, which practically feels like a necessity in a stealth game."

Why does this feel like a necessity in a stealth game aside from expectation stemming from every modern stealth game having it (usually for no good reason)? He doesn't explain it because he he doesn't have a reason and doesn't think he has to. It's so uncool, so dumb (these goblins hearing Link the SECOND he stands), so nonsensical, so arbitrary and slows everything down. Bending your knees so much does not quiet your footsteps. The camo system, the limited eyesight of the enemies and their verbal warnings ("What's that?") were generous enough. Crouching should be used to access low spaces, duck under hazards like bullets and hide behind objects, nothing else.

I also don't know why you'd want to cycle through weapons with the D-pad. The weapon and item windows assigned to L2 and R2 were far more efficient than the almost blind one way cycling of Dark Souls and its clones.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Conker's Bad Fur Day I never found that funny, even back then. There are a few moments that made me laugh, but it's a not well aged product of the late 90s and 2000s.

Nothing wrong with QoL improvements as a whole. It says more about the person and their own personal hang ups, than the quality of life improvements themselves.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The Phoenix Wright games would be really good if they weren't so unbelievably stupid! The third case of Trials and Tribulations starts out with Phoenix finding out that somebody impersonated him and got a client found guilty through a completely inept defense. Turns out it was this guy:

using an attorney badge made from corrugated cardboard. Like, what are the writers thinking when they demolish their own worldbuilding for the sake of a joke? How can the player have any investment in discovering the truth and ensuring justice is done when the entire legal system is so ludicrously inept?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Up to Chapter 3 of TTYD. I've heard criticisms of this part of the game, and I don't fully disagree with them, but I still like it for the interesting setting and atmosphere, and the story is actually pretty cool too I think. Also I got the green Yoshi, so I decided to name him after John Cena.

I don't even like pro wrestling, it was just the first thing I thought of.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Up to Chapter 3 of TTYD. I've heard criticisms of this part of the game, and I don't fully disagree with them, but I still like it for the interesting setting and atmosphere, and the story is actually pretty cool too I think. Also I got the green Yoshi, so I decided to name him after John Cena.

Oops, posted this in the wrong thread. But yeah, hot take: Chapter 3 of TTYD is not as bad as (some) people say it is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it got by pretty heavily on shock value back in the day. "Oh my! A game on a Nintendo system with poop and swearing!"
Fur further irony, what made Conker unique is now more than twice the dime a dozen. Conker lost that unique factor by the mid to late 2000s. Hell, the Live and Reloaded (XBOX) version got censored in all regions, making the N64 original the true uncensored version

Reactions: Worgen

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

What?! Glitz Pit is one of the best parts of the game! Who says it's bad?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
What?! Glitz Pit is one of the best parts of the game! Who says it's bad?
I admit it may not be a common opinion, but I've heard it from a Twitch streamer I occasionally watch VODs of. Don't want to post the name to avoid riling up a lynch mob. (Not that you'd do that, but better to be safe.)

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I admit it may not be a common opinion, but I've heard it from a Twitch streamer I occasionally watch VODs of. Don't want to post the name to avoid riling up a lynch mob. (Not that you'd do that, but better to be safe.)
Lol, the Escapist Lynch Mob. I can't even imagine it. That's ok, I didn't actually care about who said it specifically.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can't comment on MHW since my recent second attempt to get into it failed before it really even got started but I think part of what you're experiencing is also the nature of "helpful" internet commentary.

Like it seems most Elden Ring tips are "get the Moonveil Katana" or "level up [whatever stat] to 60" which is about as helpful as telling someone interested in learning chess to just "think 10 moves ahead."

Or Witcher 3 tips which tell you to get an ability from a DLC expansion designed to be played after you beat the whole (notoriously very long) game.
Actually, I was also thinking about The Witcher 3 and how it would seem like it would be similar experience, but from what I remember, it wasn't. Or at least, it wasn't as bad. The expansions for that game were just more story content. Sure there was new gear, but weapons and armor in TW3 generally just made the numbers bigger.

For MHW and Cyberpunk, expansions radically change gameplay. Either completely reworking the game like in Cyberpunk, or adding new mechanics that are significant enough to just become the "right" way to play the game.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Nothing demonstrates how broken, stupid, and annoying the video game hype/marketing/reaction cycle is than that of Star Wars: Outlaws.

Announcement: Oh look Ubisoft's making an action open-world-ish Star War. Probably gonna be ok if you're into Star Wars, nothing exciting about the gameplay but if it it's not super-buggy it's going to be safe, pretty game for those that are into what it's offering.

THIS WAS ALWAYS THE CORRECT REACTION

Hype: Take that Starfield, this will be best! Oh no an expensive special edition, call the FTC and make them ban Ubisoft, which is literally worse than the holocaust! Anyone who buys this game is worse than 50 IGNs!

Internet incel crowd: woke etc (this is just literally every game now)

Star Wars fans: continue to hate joy

Pre-release reviews: game is pretty good, nothing special- WHAT A SHOCK it doesn't blow chunks who saw this coming (see original announcement).

All of this nonsense when any reasonable person knew what this game was going to be the first time they heard about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Internet incel crowd: woke etc (this is just literally every game now)
As Sterling, many others, and I has pointed out, a majority of those fools aren't even actual gamers and are just right wing grifters that wormed their way into the gaming sphere.

With all that said, I'm still not getting the game. I'm picking up Shadow of the Ninja on Thursday. Shadows of the Damned Remastered, Sonix X Shadow Generations, and SH2 Remake come out in October.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Not really a hot take, but what the heck was Rare thinking when they made Dixie's partner in Donkey Kong Country 3 a toddler? It's such a bizarre choice. Who wants to play a toddler? Kids certainly don't! What could possibly be the rationale?