Your video game hot take(s) thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah but terms like Roguelike and Meteoidvania are related to how a game plays. The genre labels are more appropriately applied against the game’s story or style/tone (delete where appropriate). Like something can be both a Roguelike and be a comedy game. Metroidvania games can be action or horror etc.
Well yeah that is what I was getting at... it makes sense to me to use older games to help describe how a newer game plays. This why I think it's silly that some complain about these terms. It's part of that whole thing where folks insist on shoe-horning how we talk about games into the old ways of talking about other media. Which is silly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Like.... Fire Emblem: Three Houses! With that game, the house you choose isn't so much about good or bad choices as it is seeing how things play out differently and which characters you learn about. In that case you have one choice of three options that has a great effect on how things play out but the crux of it isn't right or wrong or "your choices mattering" but instead getting to see different and interesting ways for the story to play out. Whereas you have things like The Wolf Among Us where choices are all but meaningless in terms of how things play out because no one can actually deliver on the butterfly effect they advertise, so they have to use smoke and mirrors and just deliver on an illusion.
The most hilarious example of that is front mission 3, where at the start of the game a character ask you if you want to hand out after work and the game goes completely different direction depending on whether you agree with him or not, to the point where you end up fighting character that would otherwise have been ally to you. Without looking it up its pretty much impossible to even realize that the game has two branches.

Threads of fate also as an interesting take on it, at the start you select one of two protagonist. Both exist in the story but you only control one for the game. Rue version is a pretty serious story where he has the usual backstory of trying to save the woman who saved him after he was amnesiac. Mint story trough is just silly the entire way trough, she's a lazy slacker princess who want to take over the world for dumb reason, most of the character you met, who are pretty serious in Rue version, are silly in Mint version and constantly make fun of her for being an idiot. Its fun seeing the two version have different tone.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
If the Stray developers want to make a sequel for the game that plays more like Okami, with open world Zelda-like exploration, helping newly liberated robots find their places in life, along with cute combat, well I don't care how little sense it makes, I'd still buy that, and I'd die on every hill trying to defend their choice to do so! Unless it turns out crap of course. But until then...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Never in my whole life have I met a dealer who's first question to me is "are you the police?" Yet I be seeing this in games, films and other medias over and over again. Sorry to have to be saying this, but writers please, please just go out and buy some drugs before you write this shit. Or talk to someone else who does?
I'm pretty sure that's based on some stupid myth that the police have to tell you if they're the police(even if they're undercover) if you ask them directly. No, its not remotely true but people seem to believe it and I'm not sure where that myth came from to be honest. Probably TV shows or something.

There's a similar myth about Miranda rights(that would be the "You have the right to legal representation, you have the right to remain silent" bit) in the US, that police have to read you your rights before they talk to you. It's actually if/when they ARREST you that you have to be read your rights.

Or that you have to let a cop search your house/car/etc if they ask you to. You CAN let them search it(and if you do and they find something, that's on you), but you can also insist they go get a warrant first and only then you will let them search.

Again, this is all US focused. Your local milage may vary.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's based on some stupid myth that the police have to tell you if they're the police(even if they're undercover) if you ask them directly. No, its not remotely true but people seem to believe it and I'm not sure where that myth came from to be honest. Probably TV shows or something.

There's a similar myth about Miranda rights(that would be the "You have the right to legal representation, you have the right to remain silent" bit) in the US, that police have to read you your rights before they talk to you. It's actually if/when they ARREST you that you have to be read your rights.

Or that you have to let a cop search your house/car/etc if they ask you to. You CAN let them search it(and if you do and they find something, that's on you), but you can also insist they go get a warrant first and only then you will let them search.

Again, this is all US focused. Your local milage may vary.
There’s an episode of Breaking Bad that pokes fun at this fallacy rather humorously. Also happens to be the same one that introduces Saul Goodman to the show.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Golden Axe II has the best opening theme out of any Golden Axe game. I actually do like it slightly more than the Genesis version of the first game. I really appreciate the improved magic system, despite being a mission packed sequel. The music is also underrated too. Seriously, that game has a great soundtrack and is almost Yuzo Koshiro-like. Revenge Of Death Adder is still the best in the series though.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I still don't understand why Yoshitaka Amano's artwork is revered so much. It's all horrendously ugly and hard to tell what you're even looking at.
Its unique and highly detail, but you'll notice none of the game try to have in game art resembling it. The point is that it stand out from the homogenous blob that is most game art being used in advertising.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The people overreacting to the newest Forspoken trailer are idiots. I am not defending the trailer, but come on everyone, we've all seen so much worse than that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Never in my whole life have I met a dealer who's first question to me is "are you the police?" Yet I be seeing this in games, films and other medias over and over again. Sorry to have to be saying this, but writers please, please just go out and buy some drugs before you write this shit. Or talk to someone else who does?
I think they do say it; but only if the person they’re speaking to is so damn obviously a cop - a rookie usually - that asking the question is usually enough to shake them up and more or less confirm it.

For example.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The people overreacting to the newest Forspoken trailer are idiots. I am not defending the trailer, but come on everyone, we've all seen so much worse than that.
Oh yeah, good one! I honestly wouldn't have thought twice about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I see where Yahtzee is coming from, but I think it'll come as quickly as it goes in the AAA space. The fad will be there for a few months, and then, *poof *, it will be gone as if it never existed.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I see where Yahtzee is coming from, but I think it'll come as quickly as it goes in the AAA space. The fas will be there for a few months, and then, *poof *, it will be gone as if it never existed.
Yeah he's just doing "p->q" logic as he says, going by previous patterns of indy to AAA. But he ends explaining why he knows it's not gonna happen- AAA money makers are a spectacle and that is literal opposite of cozy.

When Call of Duty comes out and makes a billion trillion dollars we'll be reminded that this and simple mobile are the money fuel of the entire industry.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah he's just doing "p->q" logic as he says, going by previous patterns of indy to AAA. But he ends explaining why he knows it's not gonna happen- AAA money makers are a spectacle and that is literal opposite of cozy.

When Call of Duty comes out and makes a billion trillion dollars we'll be reminded that this and simple mobile are the money fuel of the entire industry.
Not the joke thread but I feel this needs to be here.

Honestly, the idea of Bobby Kotick casually murdering people in a meeting doesn't seem that weird anymore.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Do not spend any money on Tower of Fantasy. I didn't spend any money, and I have multiple SSRs, basically everyone but Zero, King, and Nemesis, and that's with poor luck, and losing the 50-50 chance of getting a limited character on the limited-time banner.

Also, my assumption that Genshin Impact having a competitor would lower prices plus increase rewards prove wrong. It turns out Tower of Fantasy has issues with hackers. One guy tried to hack me in a PVP match, and I ended up somewhat winning it which I felt was pretty funny. I feel like Genshin will be like Destiny, it will be unkillable, and have highs and lows.

Also, Tower of Fantasy keeps nerfing their limited-time banner characters to the ground for no reason. They are afraid of power creep but don't want to follow in Genshin's footsteps of having enablers, useful lower-tier supports, etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shredder's Revenge is definitely a great game, but it needs more modes. There is only story mode and arcade mode with difficulty options. There is no versus mode, no survival mode, no boss rush mode, and no training mode. Something simple as these would have extended the replay value. I know I've bagged on Final Vendetta, but at least it has extra modes you can unlock. There's padding and has a training mode that should have not been an unlockable, but at least you can get them by beating game with specific characters.

Last edited: