Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer Introduces Enigmatic Foe

IankBailey

Jun 23, 2008
KefkaCultist said:
It may be the unpopular opinion around here, but I'm honestly not impressed by this game so far.

I absolutely abhor motion controls except for certain games (Metroid Prime) and the whole direction cutting of this game seems like a gimmick that would get annoying to me really fast.
I second this. I was really looking forward to this game until I heard it was strictly motion controlled. I really don't wanna pay essentially 80 dollars for a game (including the motion plus) only to be frustrated that the motion controls are shoddy like I know they will be. Nintendo really needs to move away from these stupid gimmicks.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Those graphics are freaking weird. I've never seen such detail put into cell shading before... it kinda makes me feel a little ill.

I also think nintendo are putting too much focus on the attacking in the game, it was mind numbingly irritating in the demo and if the entire game is set on that gimmick, i'll either get sick of it or get used to it, not sure just yet.

Even so, I'm saving up money to pre-order the bastard and I can't wait to actually play it, i've been waiting for a new zelda forever.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
looks quite cartoony. not that thats bad, its just I really liked the darkness that was expressed through twilight princess's style.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
I personally think it's a re-imagining of Vaati. The look does seem to fit.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
While it does look at a decent game, I can't help but think "where are we going with this"? I mean, it does look like a good game, but you could probably mix scenes from older games in with this one and I couldn't tell the difference. Well, except for the gigantic picture of a WiiMote that takes up half the screen.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
About To Crash said:
I... don't want it. I've bought Zelda games my whole gaming career, but now it's come to me realizing that I really don't want to just play more of it. I wasn't even that big of a fan of Twilight princess. I'll probably play it, but on a friend's console. I want to see Zelda go in a new direction. Regardless of that direction, they'll have huge sales, because it's Zelda, and they could explore some new gameplay feelings. Have one that's acrobatic, or more reminiscent of Steampunk designs. I'd happily debase myself for Steampunk Zelda. And geez, it would be nice for Link to have some new elements to his personality. I know it's not going to happen, I know a lot of people don't want to see it happen, but I can still plea.
Yeah a new direction maybe good, if it weren't for the previous times it went a new direction and ass-f**ked themselves into the grave when nintendo sold the right to the rights to the series to Phillips.

Trust your fellow nintendo-nerds that the companies games especially Zelda are perfect and we should just trust nintendo, as long as they don't get Team Ninja to make the game (or make another Twilight Princess.)

Scrumpmonkey said:
Charli said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Hmmm... whilst the gameplay looks excelent as usual im not really a fan of the "Niehter here nor there" art stlye as i think it really beings out the weaknesses in the Wii's hardware and looks a little off to me. im not sure why but the flat but colourful why it looks reminds me of the N64 era... in a bad way.
I'm with you, the mix of styles does nothing for me. And even repels me from what I think should have been an installment of the 'darker' Zelda formula. Trying to hybrid the two now really doesn't help sell this to me. And graphics while never a make or break thing for Nintendo games still puts me off, it almost hurts to look at. I think Twilight Princess, while suffering from a bit of the 'Bloom brush' was still crisp and visually stunning in it's own way, this just reeks of 'we can't be bothered to do that again'.
It all looks too bright and flat, it's a bit too 'animal corssing meets ratchet and clank' for my liking except it lacks to stlyised chops both of those games have. The Wii is a console that benefits massively from a stlyised approach (see; Okami, Red Steel 2, Epic Yarn etc) and the design needs to be stepped up in order to compensate for the technical shortfalls of the system.

The visuals are bafflingly bright and washed out, it looks like a PS2 spyro game. Take a look;

Compared to the more realisitc, clean and higher contrast style of "Twilight Princess" it looks frankly a mess. There is just so much more they could do with it.
GNEH! What the hell... I've seen better looking games on the Nintendo 64...

Bobipine said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
New Ganon design, maybe?
I don't think so. I mean, all the characters didn't really change all that much among the games, they changed to fit the style, but still same basics, so a skinny white haired Ganon doesn't quite follow the usually large red haired Ganon.

Jabberwock xeno said:
He's the gilded sword personified, like how the girl is the master sword.

I'd actually tend more to believe this one, mostly because I've felt Twilight Princess to be so similar to OoT (the sages story, the Gerudo dessert kept thing reminded me a lot of the forest temple, and the giant spider... don't tell me it's different than Queen Gohmna that's actually the first reflexes of what to do I got seeing that boss) and Majora Mask's the sequel of Oot (mostly). I doubt we'll be seeing masks or music mechanic again though, sadly.

Edit, is it me, but the walls behing "it" also looks like Gills?

Oh no.... if it really is some kind of Majora mask... that means... THAT MEANS..... TINGLE
-twitch- NOOOOOOOOO! not tingle!

Then again MM is my favourite Zelda ga.... TINGLE! >.<

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
New Ganon design, maybe?
I don't think so. I mean, all the characters didn't really change all that much among the games, they changed to fit the style, but still same basics, so a skinny white haired Ganon doesn't quite follow the usually large red haired Ganon.

Jabberwock xeno said:
He's the gilded sword personified, like how the girl is the master sword.

I'd actually tend more to believe this one, mostly because I've felt Twilight Princess to be so similar to OoT (the sages story, the Gerudo dessert kept thing reminded me a lot of the forest temple, and the giant spider... don't tell me it's different than Queen Gohmna that's actually the first reflexes of what to do I got seeing that boss) and Majora Mask's the sequel of Oot (mostly). I doubt we'll be seeing masks or music mechanic again though, sadly.

Edit, is it me, but the walls behing "it" also looks like Gills?, scratch that, I misremembered what gills meant, but it still is fish scales looking, so still related?

Oh no.... if it really is some kind of Majora mask... that means... THAT MEANS..... TINGLE

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Bobipine said:

They look like scales to me, but it's rather abstract.

But if you're right about Tingle... I may end up doing another no-maps run of a Zelda game.

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
OctalLord said:
Bobipine said:

But if you're right about Tingle... I may end up doing another no-maps run of a Zelda game.
Yeah, I corrected myself after, I didn't remember the word's meaning correctly.
I am wondering what might happen if Tingle is actually in that game, would he just look the same, or had a redesign probably for the worst (hard to believe, but who knows)

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Bobipine said:
OctalLord said:
Bobipine said:

Yeah, I corrected myself after, I didn't remember the word's meaning correctly.
I am wondering what might happen if Tingle is actually in that game, would he just look the same, or had a redesign probably for the worst (hard to believe, but who knows)

If he does get a redesign, I'd like them to take advantage of the "Before every Zelda Game ever" and have a extremly young Tingle who isn't creepy because he thinks he's a fairy. Just disallusioned.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
The art looks a bit flat, but the monster design is incredible. I cannot put into words how much it pleases me to see a moblin push you around with a shield. That's fresh shit there.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
hmm... 1 video, with 300 views, 2 comments, and uploaded by a guy who's other videos are of him modding zelda games?

Do we have a more reliable source?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Eh... as if the lore and timelines weren't screwed up enough already Nintendo are rehashing Link's origins? I'm going to grumble and whine and buy it and play it anyway so what's the point.

I doubt the white haired guy is Vaati. Vaati's eyes are red and his hair is purple. Unless it's a complete re-imagining. I also doubt it's Ganondorf. Skyward Sword is set to be before OoT chronologically and Ganondorf's villain career started in OoT.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
It doesn't take a genius to realise the villain is Ganon, again.
Just like Four Swords and Majora's Mask huh?
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
Ganon wasn't even the villain of the second game in the franchise. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link]

Sure, he's the major recurring villain, but he's not always the big bad.

atomictoast

Aug 7, 2009
I hate this art style, it's really driving me nuts.

Not because I want Zelda to go as drimdark as possible like he did at times in Twilight Princess, just because I want an actual fucking art-style. I loved Wind Waker's look, but that's because Wind Waker used the cell shaded style to bring more atmosphere and emotion to the world around it, this just looks like nintendo's gotten lazy.

Jul 9, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Um... if you're talking the Gamecube Four Swords... Ganon was the main villain...

Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
First off, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, so if there were any game that would be part of the "main series", it's that.

Second of all, all normal Zelda games are part of the "main series", so I don't even understand what you're getting at.

And finally, if we're talking the "canonical" story, then there IS no "main series", at least the way I see it. You're supposed to look at all the different Zelda games and decide which fits where for yourself, what story you think makes the most sense and is the coolest.

Take me, for example. I believe that the Link in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is the same Link in Twilight Princess, and that upon returning to Hyrule from Termina, Link realized that all his time-fuckery had sent him over a thousand years into the future.

But, again, that's my own personal Legend. Think about it... it'd make much more sense for someone like Miyamoto to want something like that rather then some strict timeline.
I know yous said it's your own personal Legend, and power to you, but that is directly contradicted in game. Like, third line said. "Link...you've never been to Hyrule, have you?"
Lrbearclaw said:
Hmmm what if Vaati IS the Gilded Sword and "Four Sword" is what it is called later?
Nope. Link creates the Four Sword to fight Vaati in The Minish Cap. He COULD be the Gilded Sword, but that means that the Guilded Sword is certainly not the Four Sword.

Actually, come to think of it, Vaati cannot even be the Gilded Sword unless he is transformed later, since, as of Minish Cap, we have a definitive origin for him.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Majora's Mask happened inside of Ocarina's timeline. 4 Sword (Adventures) is part of the Legend but unknown where. Link's Awakening was a dream yes so that is the only one "not in continuality".

However, Ganon's origin is in OoT, LoZ:SS is BEFORE all others so Ganon can NOT be the enemy as he did not even exist.
Ganon was the villain in The Legend of Zelda. He's always been in the games. I think you're thinking of Ganondorf.

On a side note, Ganondorf still holds the #1 place on my list of most badass antagonists ^^

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Meh.. I'm probably going to pass on this title, the mixed art style looks kind of awkward and this trailer didn't really convince me that the game is going to do anything it hasn't done already. I just can't wait for Ocarina of Time 3D... Yes, I'm a sucker, but I just love that game.