Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer Introduces Enigmatic Foe

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Mcoffey said:
I didn't even think there was continuity in the games, aside from OoT/MM, Minish Cap/Four Swords, and WW/PH.
One could argue that there is continuity between OoT/MM and WW/PH as well. They opener to WW starts off saying how there was a hero of time (OoT) who then leaves on a journey (MM) and then Ganon returns and Hyrule is flooded. Ganon is sealed away, and then tons of years later WW starts. Which would mean that Ganon from OoT is Ganon in Wind Waker and Hyrule from OoT is Hyrule in WW. I know PH is a sequel but I haven't played it so I don't know how it fits in entirely.

I'm liking a lot things about this game except that the swordplay doesn't seem as fast as previous games. I assume it's because of the Wii Motion Plus.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Hm, I find it unlikely that it's a new Ganon design. We haven't seen Ganon since Twilight Princess, so he could make his return in this game, but it's still too early to be sure.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Mcoffey said:
I didn't even think there was continuity in the games, aside from OoT/MM, Minish Cap/Four Swords, and WW/PH. I always figured that whole "Nintendo has a master list that shows how everything fits chronologically" was just Miyamoto fucking with the fans.
It is. The official word was there was no canon between the games (aside the listed exceptions.) The timeline was just fan speculation.

Spruceapple

Feb 6, 2011
Honestly I don't see the problem with the cartoony art style. I kinda like it even though I've never played any of the Zelda games with Toon Link

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Actually the art style is more clearly reminiscent of Ocarina of Time... sort of how it would have looked had it been made today. The Twilight Princess visual influence is also apparent.

Personally, I had nothing against Wind Waker's graphics, I thought they were quirky and charming. That Link has more emotion and facial expressions than any other... plus he's adorable.

Of course, at the end of the day, the gameplay will make or break this game. I don't even play my Wii for the Wii games, I only ever turn it on to play GameCube or the old-school games I downloaded... but I'm tempted to pony up for this.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
The pastels staged a coup and took over the palette. :( If 'skyward' means 'shadows are not allowed' then I'd rather not have a skyward sword.

I'll buy it. I'll play it. I'll judge it then, but I have a feeling it will evoke strong OoT nostalgia.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Mcoffey said:
I didn't even think there was continuity in the games, aside from OoT/MM, Minish Cap/Four Swords, and WW/PH. I always figured that whole "Nintendo has a master list that shows how everything fits chronologically" was just Miyamoto fucking with the fans.
It is. The official word was there was no canon between the games (aside the listed exceptions.) The timeline was just fan speculation.
Just pointing out Mcoffey left out the original Zelda/Zelda II. I know people like to lampoon The Adventure of Link for being so "un-Zelda-like" but it really is a good game if you give it a chance. It's hard as Hell but I eventually found that difficulty compelling me to continue at it.

I heard otherwise about the timeline, that there is indeed a master document for it at Nintendo's office in Kyoto. Do you have a reliable link I can refer to that there isn't one? I'd like to know once and for all.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
rileyrulesu said:
hmm... 1 video, with 300 views, 2 comments, and uploaded by a guy who's other videos are of him modding zelda games?

Do we have a more reliable source?
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/02/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-gdc-trailer

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
It doesn't take a genius to realise the villain is Ganon, again.
Just like Four Swords and Majora's Mask huh?
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
Defining a main series in Zelda is pretty hard though. According to Nintendo, Four Swords and FS adventure are part of the timeline too.

While Ganondorf is definitely a likely villain, and while he has been in every 3D Zelda game except MM, I believe it could still be someone else. I wouldn't put money on that though.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Um... if you're talking the Gamecube Four Swords... Ganon was the main villain...

Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
First off, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, so if there were any game that would be part of the "main series", it's that.

Second of all, all normal Zelda games are part of the "main series", so I don't even understand what you're getting at.

And finally, if we're talking the "canonical" story, then there IS no "main series", at least the way I see it. You're supposed to look at all the different Zelda games and decide which fits where for yourself, what story you think makes the most sense and is the coolest.

Take me, for example. I believe that the Link in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is the same Link in Twilight Princess, and that upon returning to Hyrule from Termina, Link realized that all his time-fuckery had sent him over a thousand years into the future.

But, again, that's my own personal Legend. Think about it... it'd make much more sense for someone like Miyamoto to want something like that rather then some strict timeline.
I know yous said it's your own personal Legend, and power to you, but that is directly contradicted in game. Like, third line said. "Link...you've never been to Hyrule, have you?"
Think of it this way: you've just returned to home after journeying to an alternate dimension in which you fought a demon-mask with time travel, and you ended up on that dimension while searching for your fairy partner who helped you on ANOTHER journey through time to fight off someone who found the essence of the Goddesses', only to find out that you've launched yourself thousands of years into the future.

Would you be totally honest about your past when you settled back down in a new village?

I'm not calling you out or saying "OH YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!" I'm just explaining how, with a little digging and imagination, it's easy to explain certain "contradictions" =)

EDIT:

Faladorian said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Majora's Mask happened inside of Ocarina's timeline. 4 Sword (Adventures) is part of the Legend but unknown where. Link's Awakening was a dream yes so that is the only one "not in continuality".

However, Ganon's origin is in OoT, LoZ:SS is BEFORE all others so Ganon can NOT be the enemy as he did not even exist.
Ganon was the villain in The Legend of Zelda. He's always been in the games. I think you're thinking of Ganondorf.

On a side note, Ganondorf still holds the #1 place on my list of most badass antagonists ^^
Ganon is the overpowered transformation of Ganondorf... they're one in the same... that's been stated MULTIPLE times...

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Hi there. I'm from the group that doesn't mind the new art style and actually kind of likes it. Maybe because I know nothing of art.

Setsuri21

Nov 30, 2009
About To Crash said:
I... don't want it. I've bought Zelda games my whole gaming career, but now it's come to me realizing that I really don't want to just play more of it. I wasn't even that big of a fan of Twilight princess. I'll probably play it, but on a friend's console. I want to see Zelda go in a new direction. Regardless of that direction, they'll have huge sales, because it's Zelda, and they could explore some new gameplay feelings. Have one that's acrobatic, or more reminiscent of Steampunk designs. I'd happily debase myself for Steampunk Zelda. And geez, it would be nice for Link to have some new elements to his personality. I know it's not going to happen, I know a lot of people don't want to see it happen, but I can still plea.
But you know exactly whats going to happen when the try to give him more personality. It'll be like Other M all over again. Not as bad, perhaps, but nintendo will still be fracturing the fanbase.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It still looks like a Zelda cut from the exact same block they've been using ever since OoT was so successful. After TP was such a disappointment I'm not expecting anything from this.

stinkyrobot

Nov 20, 2009
I think the art looks fine and I'm sort of annoyed by the people who want zelda to be dark and gritty, because it seems just about every thing now a days, especially fantasy has to be dark.