Zero Punctuation: Aliens: Colonial Marines

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
RJ 17 said:
the antithesis said:
Personally, I don't know why anyone was at all interested in playing this game. The demo aside, when was the last thing that was worth damn with the Alien brand slapped upon it came out?
That's just it, though, it was ALL about the demo. The demo showed people an Aliens game that actually looked like it could be good, that it captured the spirit and feel that made the movie good. The demo was both the game's source of hype and the cause of the game's utter failure when the delivered product didn't even come close.
Why would you pre order a new IP based on one demo like that? Especially if the demo's appeal is atmosphere: Which is incredibly easy to break.

General Vengeance said:
1. I hope this crushes Gearbox, they have no integrity.
2. I hope this ends people preordering games, it just encourages assholes like Gearbox to make cash grab games.
3. I hope Yahtzee starts to review good games, constantly reviewing bad games is cute and funny but its like shooting fish in a barrel.
I don't see an issue in preordering a game if the bonus is good and you have reason to trust the content....A licensed game from company that released duke nukem forever. The pre order bonus for aliens was fucking multiplayer skins if I recall.

You should treat preorders as if you're giving out loans: If you're not getting interest there's no reason to give it to anyone you don't know personally and if you have no good reason to think they're capable of paying you back you might as well burn it. Preordering aliens was like giving a random redneck a billion dollars to open a multinational pig fucking chain and if he manages to pay you back you get a nickel interest.

I trust bioshock infinite to not suck, so if I had the money I'd pre-order it off greenman and save $15. Why wouldn't I?

I'm pretty sure yahtzee decides what to review before deciding if it's bad. Like: Dead Space 3, Ni No Kuni, The Cave, the new DMC were the four before that. Are any of those really considered bad games? Fuck it seems like everyone loves Ni No Kuni.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
General Vengeance said:
2. I hope this ends people preordering games, it just encourages assholes like Gearbox to make cash grab games.
3. I hope Yahtzee starts to review good games, constantly reviewing bad games is cute and funny but its like shooting fish in a barrel.
1. One of the more customer friendly companies has no integrity because of one bad game?

2. Pre-ordering is good in several situations. It's less an issue about pre-orders and more about companies phoning in their product.
1. DNF. And they apparently transferred this game off to another studio while putting it in their name. They don't have no integrity becasue the game is bad: They have no integrity because they let another company make (or at least finish) a bad game in their name. Also they had NDA's set up so no one could put reviews up before it came out. They knew it was shit and tried to cover it up.
2. Name one that's not Bioshock infinite

Pre-ordering in it's current form is absolute shit because companies seem to think it's ok to put an insignificant cosmetic in and say " that's enough reason to give us $60 ahead of time for no reason right?

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Yahtzee is self-aware. Who knew?

I have to agree with the "betrayal" part. People were complaining about this game being the last bastion of hope. But were you really surprised? Maybe by the fact of who was developing the game, but were you really surprised by the fact that an Aliens game wasn't good?

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
General Vengeance said:
1. One of the more customer friendly companies has no integrity because of one bad game?

2. Pre-ordering is good in several situations. It's less an issue about pre-orders and more about companies phoning in their product.
2 really bad games promised to be awesome. Lies both games complete lies using Sega's money to fund borderlands 2 and outsourcing the game they were paid for to another company that's breach of contract.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Mine is not so much a glitch but just a complaint about how godawful the multiplayer turned out. A good friend of mine and I were awaiting this game with the anticipation that this was going to be something akin to L4D but with one of our favorite franchise monsters replacing zombies...., and boy was I wrong. Like a dumbass I pre-ordered the game and paid it in full, and like an even bigger dumbass plopped it in my x-box hoping maybe the multiplayer was something salvageable despite my friend telling me he was probably jumping ship due to all the terrible reviews plaguing the internets (and yes I envy him for being smarter and not wasting 60 dollars). So as most of you have experienced, I was still trying to convince myself after a match of extreme chaos ensued. Kill animations that should be awesome but look like the marine floated to me and died due to graphic glitch, suddenly dying after having no discernible animation or sound that I am being hurt, and most frustrating of all unloading a full shotgun blast/special attack into an opposing player and them laughing at me and killing me in one blow because of one of the most terrible leveling systems that give unbalanced a whole new definition of pain and agony. So now my moral dilemma is what should we do with this ungodly monstrosity some of us were unfortunate and, for myself at least, stupid enough to stumble upon? I was thinking shooting range, or if we want the subtle route maybe a coaster for drinks, or if we want to get inventive and a little extravagant maybe we can remake Aliens using copies of the game as replacements for the aliens.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Alien vs Predator 2 was an amazing game. I know you played it, so stop talking about ships and spices.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
piclemaniscool said:
Yahtzee is self-aware. Who knew?

I have to agree with the "betrayal" part. People were complaining about this game being the last bastion of hope. But were you really surprised? Maybe by the fact of who was developing the game, but were you really surprised by the fact that an Aliens game wasn't good?
I thought that was just an accepted fact in the gaming world by now. You know, like "Final Fantasy games drag on for too long", "Call of Duty is racist", and "BioWare games have good writing".

I suppose after the hype around the stage demo for this, and back with the pre-rendered trailer for Dead Island we've moved to a point where playable demos soon are the only way to make gamers trust your product. So perhaps something good came out of all this after all.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
Thank you for the MASSIVE Spoiler-warning in the middle of the review about Hicks. Oh, wait. THERE WAS NONE!
You are welcome.
Unless you actually paid for this thing, in which case... You had it coming.
Sorry but here, I am peed off out of princible. If Yathzee reveals such a huge part of the plot (and pretty big twist in the canon), then yes, I expect a freaking spoiler warning. It doesn't matter how good or bad the game is - it is still wrong to do.

geier said:
One bad game ?
Have you allready forgotten THE DUKE ?
Hardly their game - they just did about 10% of it as the game when they got it was more or less finished. You can't blame them for that.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
stueymon said:
Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?
I'm with you there. I think one of my favorite parts to this review was his summation of the Hicks retcon "It was some other bloke." It's not even really a joke, that is the explanation the game gives.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
General Vengeance said:
The following is a massive amount of sarcasm:

Ya lets just make a whole bunch of people lose their jobs because of decisions made that are way above them! Who cares if they need the job to feed their families, their bosses lied to us!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TWEWYFan said:
stueymon said:
Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?
I'm with you there. I think one of my favorite parts to this review was his summation of the Hicks retcon "It was some other bloke." It's not even really a joke, that is the explanation the game gives.
Actually, the game says "long story". Who knows, maybe we would have gotten a more detailed explaination in DLC or a sequel.

Sabin Felea

Jan 30, 2013
This was SOO worth it! And it includes a shout-out to the AWESOME correspondents that have been barely containing their excitement since the game was launched and heard it was sh*t :D

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Bindal said:
TWEWYFan said:
stueymon said:
Actually, the game says "long story". Who knows, maybe we would have gotten a more detailed explaination in DLC or a sequel.
Well that was to explain why it was some other guy; which to my knowledge is still little more than a hand-wave. Now I wasn't as bothered by this retcon as some other people were, I just they'd explained it more in-game.

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
I wondered if you could be bothered to play this game, but seeing how short it is, it probably saved you a lot of time that week!

My favourite bug:
Had to go after the two woman, for whatever reason it was giving, and after walking 10 meters down the path they had taken, I saw them both standing round the corner! XD It's times like these I wish you could talk in the games.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
General Vengeance said:
Sadly if you watched Jim's newest vid you would know that people are already pre ordering launch titles for the PS4 with only the smallest of an idea of what the game play is gonna be like.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
sushkis2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks, that the bar in video game industry is now so low, that we allow such atrocities to be released? The worst thing about it is, that such disasters gain more media attention, that it distracts everyone from things that actually are good, thereby these publishers/developers get a free ride, and still cash in on the dross they put out in the market by the way of preorders. They must be punished.
There is one way to punish.

DO......NOT.... PARTICIPATE!

Totalbiscuit has a great video up on Youtube explaining this:

<youtube=mf5Uj4XIT1Y>

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Don't forget to blame SEGA, they're the biggest bastards in this entire story. They LET Gearbox jerk them around for 6 years, and then when they were handed this piece of shit to put to market, they actually put it to market to screw us over instead of canceling its release and figuring out what the hell Gearbox had been doing with all that time and money they asked for.

Fuck you, SEGA. If anyone company gets crushed and goes out of business because of this, I hope it's SEGA. As much as I hate the likes of EA or Capcom, they wouldn't be stupid enough to let this game get so far out of hand. It would have been canned long before we all wasted our $50 or $60 on it.

Hell, makes me wonder how many of those games that suddenly get canceled end up getting canceled because of shit like this.