Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Actually I wonder, which these days are more frequently used as an enemy, The Russians or PMCs?

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
Not that I don't think the singleplayer should have been better, but NOBODY bought it for the singleplayer.
I myself have played through the first three levels between my enormous playtime on the multiplayer.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Stalked by Google Maps...That line fucking killed me...with laughter!!! *sigh* i miss the good old days where you could be an anthropomorphic fox killing his enemies by doing extreme pirouettes. I miss having to use my brain to remember to bring the right items with me as i leave the save/safe room to journey into the deep dark unknown, but mostly i miss not being called gay just because i killed some guy over Xbox Live (Yeah i have been watching too much game overthinker lately!!).

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I really don't see how this is copying Modern Warfare 2. The Battlefield series was the first highly-popular mainstream series to enter the modern war theatre with Battlefield 2, released in June 2005. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released in November 2007. A full two years after Battlefield 2. If anything, Call of Duty copied Battlefield in its move to modern warfare.

Putting aside the fact that he did not review the core component of the game, multiplayer, his points aren't that... good. I know, the point of the "review" was humour (which was lacking... too many dick jokes.). I actually did like the single player of this game. It had great humour as well. The personalities may have been a bit one-dimensional, but they are definitely better than everyone being uber-serious hardcases, at least in an unrealistic shooter such as this.

Acefisher1

Nov 11, 2009
Perhaps when choosing games to review you should consider not picking games that have a history of being online only, and have a single player thrown in as an added bonus. I don't mind that you don't play multi, just don't review games that are 90% multi/10% SP. Just saying.

Oh, and if you thought the dust was bad in single player, try mutli, if only to see the dust for 1 match. You'll want to personally fly to Sweden, drive to DICE headquarters, and punch everyone involved in the creation of the game in the face. Twice.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Anticitizen_Two said:
Ever hear of Team Fortress 2? In that game Engineers and Medics have very weak guns and so they must rely on their team to do the killing for them while they do their job. This necessitates teamwork. If everyone had a good gun, like they do in BF:BC2, teamwork disappears because people are more focused on getting kills.
It is a very gimmicky and silly way to enforce team-work ... and like i said ... GETTING KILLS in BC2 ISN'T the damn purpose of the game .. how many times do i have to say it .. even if you rack up 100,000,000 kills if you don't play with your team and squad right you freaking LOSE.

Anticitizen_Two said:
Playing assault feels no different than playing medic. Sure there are slight differences, but when it boils down to it the core gameplay remains the same.
It does feel very different if you know the strengths and weaknesses of each class/kit ... that if you know how to play the game correctly first ... the main weapon is different and the tools you get (up to 3 tools) are totally different for each kit/class ... how the heck is it the same !!!!

Anticitizen_Two said:
Ah... "you're doing it wrong." The number one fallback argument for any fanboy.
"you're doing it wrong." is a fact ... according to your own statements .. a very simple FACT you refuse to accept.

Anticitizen_Two said:
I ask you, isn't the point of having different kits that one person CANNOT react to anything on the fly?
How is taking tactical choices out of your hand and pigeon holing you into a pre-cast role is a good thing ... XD

Anticitizen_Two said:
That reduces teamwork, and leads back to my first argument
Reduces gimmicky team work maybe .. team work in BC2 is more than shoving in one of each class together into the same team and praying for victory cause you have all sorts of classes in your team.

Anticitizen_Two said:
stating a subjective opinion as if it's an objective fact. How can you possibly say that it is a FACT that your health regenerates slowly? That's an opinion.
It is a fact .. how hard is it to understand a simple fact that the HP in BC2 regenerates slowly .. not so hard i guess .. there is HP in some games that regenerates instantly if you avoid enemy fire and there is HP in some other games that takes a set period of time to Regen even if you avoid enemy fire .. DAMN SIMPLE FACT.

Anticitizen_Two said:
And then onto the third fanboy argument: "You just suck at the game." Yes, it must be because I suck that I rarely run out of ammo, as you so subtly hinted at in that post. I could counter saying that at least I don't spray ammo around like a n00b if I felt like arguing using fanboy logic.
FACT is .. if you die often you re-spawn with fully reloaded ammo and grenades .. die too often and you won't even notice the ammo pack or what purpose they serve ... if you survive longer you will eventually and inevitably run out of ammo and you will NEED ammo ... those are simple facts .. and i don't give a damn if you believe or not .. but i rank 3nd or 4th on my team and usually in the BEST squad in most games i played .. spraying bullets like noobs is what you do in MW2 cause the game-style encourages that.

Which also takes us back to your silly argument .. what if non of your team mates is an Assault .. what if you are away from them at the moment trying to flank the enemy .. if you can't change kits you are screwed big time .. being able to change kits allows you to take out an enemy with a knife and if they are Assault use their ammo kits to replenish your own kit ammo .. and keep going to where your teammates are ... that's offering the player tactical choices .. you can't expect to depend 100% on your teammates all the time that's just unrealistic and gimmicky .. using the kits that way you can be way more useful to your team mates (like the medic example i mentioned earlier)

Anticitizen_Two said:
If there is a leveling system, and experience is based around kills, then yes, the goal is to get kills. Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that what you said there had absolutely nothing to do with core gameplay, but with the leveling system...
What i said there IS in fact the very core gameplay of BC2 .. if you don't do these things you most certainly will LOSE .... and people are encouraged to do them not only because they make you WIN the freaking game ... but because you are rewarded for them too .. that's the CORE gameplay .. for the 100th time it isn't about racking freaking kills .. when will you understand that !!!!?

And again .. kills aren't the main focus in BC2 ... and if you still think so .. you are playing it WRONG and that's a fact you can't argue.

Anticitizen_Two said:
"You're doing it wrong" AND link dumping? Are you even trying to hide it at this point?
Hide what and what link dumping !!!? .. it's a freaking Youtube video .. watch it if you really want to play the game correctly .. not so hard to get really.

And yeah .. for the 100th time .. YES .. you are playing BC2 the WRONG way (and that can very easily be seen from your replies) .. instead of wasting your time replying to me and embarrassing yourself .. watch the video and hopefully learn something.

Xanthon

Mar 24, 2010
While I think Yahtzee's great, I really had to make an account to respond to this one. This review was a big waste for me. I don't have a problem with the fact that Yahtzee refuses to review a game's multiplayer aspect, but then why even bother to review games where the singleplayer is an afterthought and 90% of the playerbase bought it for the multiplayer. Frankly I was surprised this game had any single player at all as the last BF game I played (2142) had no single player campaign at all. The only reason I even played the campaign at all was to get acquainted with the game before throwing myself into multiplayer (not to mention the servers were a mess on opening day). I was so disinterested in a BF singleplayer component that I skipped through every cutscene and I NEVER do that.

Another thing that's annoying me is the "this is just a MW2 ripoff, although I haven't played the multiplayer or even the game itself, so really I have no clue" mentality. If you played the multiplayer at all you'd see how vastly different the game is. If you want to criticize certain aspects of the game, be my guest, but at least be informed about it.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
XxScottocsxX said:
I honestly don't see where all this praise is coming from for BFBC2.

If Yahtzee actually reviewed BFBC2 for it's multiplayer I would be seeing a lot more butthurt fanboism than I am now.

The multiplayer is definitly the centre peace of any Battlefield game. I will even go as far as to say, yes, BFBC2 has a sick multiplayer that is a whole bundle of fun. The singleplayer, not so much.

But why all the praise? Is it the fanboism? The MULTIPLAYER is broken for a larger majority of people playing without a stable/playable connection. And yet EA/DICE go on promoting there half assed attempt of a launch.

Stats don't update reguarly or as they should, When some people get into a game it is full of lag, the server browser is an afterthought. I actually like this game, and yet I seem to be finding that the BETA Was more stable than it's full release.

When DICE/EA deliver on a stable/workable multiplayer only then would I ever defend or "praise" them as a Game Developer/Publisher. The constant "This is really actually the best game of all time" Absolute Bull Shite. It isn't. Its a another generic FPS that is no better than MW2.
Is the multiplayer still broken for you? For the first week it was absolutely SHOCKING, but I've been enjoying great, fast connections as of late. Most fun I've had in an online FPS for a VERY long time :D

One note about the 'high pings' - the in-game ping display is actually server-side latency that helps to absorb lag effects. The ping you see in the server browser is your connection speed.

Mar 26, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Can I just say *cock* the penis *dick* refen *tallywhacker*-ces are getting *shlong* a little *todger* more use than the *wang* breasts *slobber* ones in the Tomb *boner* Raider ones?

Oh yes, *IRON ROD OF DOOM*

Puhhhhlease.
*Nods in agreement*

Too many dick jokes.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
I really don't see how this is copying Modern Warfare 2. The Battlefield series was the first highly-popular mainstream series to enter the modern war theatre with Battlefield 2, released in June 2005. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released in November 2007. A full two years after Battlefield 2. If anything, Call of Duty copied Battlefield in its move to modern warfare.
It's because there are people who only own consoles and have no idea BF2 or the BF games existed.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Hunter.Wolf said:
fanboy snip
Hold on... you claimed that even more of your opinions were facts... you said "you're doing it wrong" about 500 times... you completely ignored every single one of my arguments and just said STFU IM RIGHT... you're actually becoming MORE of a fanboy! This is fascinating.

I hope you realize that there is no absolutely substance to your arguments.

Oh, and say whatever you like in response to this, but I'm done here. I have much better things to do than listen to people who cannot separate their opinions from fact whine about how their generic modern class-based multiplayer FPS is just soooooooooooooooo much better than all the other generic modern class-based multiplayer FPSes.

Good day.

DeathsHead419

Mar 24, 2010
addeB said:
I'm not really into war games and modern war games are even worse. When did game developers stop making WW2 games with English speaking nazis with fake accent?
When Infinity Ward said it wasn't cool anymore, I guess, since there is nothing new or innovative in any of these "refeshing" games.

Dr. Doctor

Feb 11, 2010
I've had a problem with the idea of realistic shooters for quite some time, but my best reason only came up a month or two ago. My brother was playing Modern Warfare 2 and explained to me that it was the most realistic shooter ever made. Then he shot someone in the face with dual sawed-off shotguns.

Derp

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
For this I fucking love you. If anything you were saying at the start of this video was said with sincerity I whole heartedly agree, and further smilingly handshakingly blowjobbingly agree with every statement about "realistic" FPS(s). I hate them, I'm sick of the splooging over them, I loathe the player base and everything it is driving games towards. Rather than buy this I will go get very drunk and play Vice City, basking in the colours through the vomit encrusted screen, pasting the sunny pseduo Californian path with the brains of roller-blading sluts to the tune of 80s rock.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Anticitizen_Two said:
Hunter.Wolf said:
fanboy snip
Hold on... you claimed that even more of your opinions were facts... you said "you're doing it wrong" about 500 times... you completely ignored every single one of my arguments and just said STFU IM RIGHT... you're actually becoming MORE of a fanboy! This is fascinating.

I hope you realize that there is no absolutely substance to your arguments.

Oh, and say whatever you like in response to this, but I'm done here. I have much better things to do than listen to people who cannot separate their opinions from fact whine about how their generic modern class-based multiplayer FPS is just soooooooooooooooo much better than all the other generic modern class-based multiplayer FPSes.

Good day.
I see what you did just there .. accusing me of being fanboy and instead of replying with any useful examples or even proper arguments you just keep ignoring simple facts and calling them "my opinion" (easy ticket .. huh) to avoid making any arguments aganist them cause you clearly haven't played the game for more than a couple of hours if not less .. if at all .. i already did mention several examples and you in return provided nothing at all.

Any person can clearly see what makes BC2 an excellent online game (tons of team work encouraging mechanics like spotting and rewards for every team-serving action, many varied vehicles to pilot, gameplay focuses on tactical objectives not mindless frag-fests, realistic ballistics behavior, destruction model that eliminates camping and makes fights more intense ... etc etc) which rarely any other online game offers.

But you just keep ignoring simple facts with your "opinion" ticket flashing whenever you feel you are in pinch (yeah .. like a simple fact that even a 5 years old can get .. you HP regens slowly in BC2 compared to any other game with regenerating HP.. that's why you need med-kits to survive longer)... you don't have much arguments to begin with .. not to mention i have already replied to every misinformed argument you tried to flash .. but you failed at saying anything meaningful in return other than "your opinion".

Wish you had watched the video though ... but your attitude just tells me you won't benefit from it at all anyway ... go back to your mindless noobish frag-fests .. you have embarrassed yourself enough for one day.

clippa

Mar 25, 2010
I know ZP goes for the "funny" rather than reviewing the game, but to not even mention the multiplayer (which is essentially what this game is, the single player is nothing more than tacked on bonus content) is just ... weird.
The single player is very lacklustre, yes, but too difficult? I breezed through it on hard and I wouldn't say I was an elite pro big boy gamer.

Bad company 2 is brilliant, one of the best multiplayer games on the pc right now, just in case you didn't get that from the review.

clippa

Mar 25, 2010
By the by, since when has this or modern warfare ever been referred to as "realistic"? Is this what is seen as punishing realism in console world? :D