Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
the multi-player is pretty damn good

...but yahtzee doesnt review multi-player (for good reasons)...

and he is right i.e. the single-player is pretty damn horrible...good episode =D

kukov

Mar 10, 2010
Why didnt you talk about the multyplayer? Maybe you have a good reason, but... It is the main reason anyone would buy this game. The singleplayer was just in there, so people dont say that 60 bucks is too much for a MP game only. Nonetheless everything you sad was true ;).

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
MR T3D said:
Playing a Battlefield game and complaining about the quality of the single player is like driving a Ferrari and complaining about the back seat legroom.
Obviously you have never watched Top Gear.
oh, but i have, funny you mention one of my favourite entertainment shows.
CD-R said:
NAHTZEE said:
Journeythroughhell said:
NAHTZEE said:
the part i most agree with is russians r evil. seriously, the russians are just normal people. in games america is a ultr awsome hero team while russian is evil for some unexplained reason
Of course, they are. So are the arabs and the chinese.
Don't worry, the Russians are always villians just because someone has to be one.
personally, im russian myself, but i prefer americans to be evil. cos thier stockipiling lotsa nukes.
You guys have just as many nukes if not more.
no, they really don't.
at the PEAK of the cold war, they had enough nukes to kill america twice over, where as the US of A had enough to kill russia roughly 10 times over I believe.

Actsub

Oct 18, 2009
I'm confused, Yahtzee left me dreading the mortar part (claiming he died on it many times) and yet when it came I only died twice, one from going the wrong way and running into a fire and once from being peppered with bullets when I didn't realise a crowd of men who'd just ran past me weren't my friends - none from the actual mortars.

I usually like Yahtzee's stuff, but it seems like he often criticises games for things that affect him and perhaps a minority of players who can't survive one relatively easy part.

It's fun to go "Heh, yeah that shit's fucking stupid and he's right on the money" when watching Zero Punctuation but in this case it seems to just be an example of Yahtzee-didn't-know-what-to-do. Shit's getting a little weak when he resorts to moaning about an issue that isn't even present.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
Well if I didn't ever play the multiplayer then yes I would agree with this review because the single player is just plain bad. But come on, this is a battlefield game, you don't get it just to play by yourself.

And also Bad Company 1 came out before Red Faction Guerrilla, and Bad company 2 uses the same destruction engine. Truckasaurus is also mentioned in Bad company 1, so either Yahtzee is trolling us or he needs to do his homework.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
seamusotorain said:
Derp de derp herp multiplayer derp. I enjoyed the multiplayer demo, and I'd heard the story was pretty weak. If you want a FPS not made out of a grey and brown colour palette, Duke Nukem just hit the XBL Marketplace, and you can always go and play Serious Sam again.
Yeah, those jungles in Bolivia and Chile, as well as the snowy Andes were pretty Grey and Brown

ioudas omnis

Jul 2, 2008
Tobias Rieper said:
ioudas omnis said:
Sometimes I forget that video games are incredibly serious business. Thank you, random strangers on the Internet, for reminding me.

As far as the review goes, I'm with a lot of the others in saying that, while he didn't review the multiplayer (as he has openly stated that he never does) he didn't really... tell us anything about the game other than there was a lot of dust and things were kind of ridiculous and like every other game of its type in that regard. And as someone who currently can't play online (I have a Mac, no wireless connection to my 360, and a Silver account) I'm infinitely more concerned with the single-player aspect of games, than multiplayer. So, this would have been a beneficial review for me, had I been told anything.
Then don't buy Bad Company 2. Do I have to remind you not to buy Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 (and 1942 and Vietnam), World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, Red Orchestra, Guild Wars, or whatever other multiplayer oriented game out there? I thought it was obvious enough.
Thank you for that bit of information that was just as superfluous as my post.

As it could have been discerned, I was complaining that his lack of a review for the single player was more my issue, because I don't play online games. Surely you understood that I don't play online games anyway, because of the aforementioned things. I had no intention of buying the game anyway, I don't play military shooters, but I was still ultimately curious to see what he had to say on it. And I was told nothing. I was disappointed.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
wow, "I thought he was a van" probably was the funniest line I've read this year.
On the Russians-as-villains thing, BFBC2 was developed by swedish developer DICE, and well, I don't think we as swedes have noticed the Soviet Union has collapsed yet.
The little military we have left and all the right wing nutcases still think Russia is going to invade any moment. Especially after the russian ambassador in Stockholm got angry over some swedish comedians making a parody russian song for the Eurovision song contest national finals last year.
I guess that could be a reason for our love of portraying russians as the villains when most of the world have moved on to muslims.

By the way, the satellite image stuff in the loading screens was present in Battlefield 2 as well, which preceded the COD Modern Warfare franchise.

0z0wen

Feb 11, 2009
Tsignotchka said:
It's like the Dust is trying to hide the fact that it's a bad game made even worse with the addition of exploding scenery.

At least in MW2 you could run around stabbing people in the bollocks when you got bored of shooting them.
seriously this is a stupid comment as a) you can as you put it 'run around stabbing people in the bollocks' and b)since you obviously haven't played the game based on the fact you think Modern Warfare 2 is unique as you can stab people you probably don't know that the destructable environments and dust effects are added to improve the games feel and add a bit more depth to the game.

Prehaps you should consider saying something itelligent before you open your mouth.

Sep 4, 2009
uberDoward said:
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.
Amen to that. Whatever happened to enjoying an FPS?
The marketing department said that enjoying an FPS just wasn't realistic. *badum tish*

masterblaze0

Jan 3, 2009
Terrible review, IMO. No real criticism, instead of just bashing on how the game is similar to MW2, which means he's quite obviously missed the point.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
hehehe, good stuff.
I too would like to see more creative non "modern reality" based shooters. The trend is already getting very tiresome. It's only going to get worse before it gets better though, with Medal of Honor soon to enter the foray, and Activision churning out MW sequels until they eclipse the amount of Mario games out there.

BlackJackFrak

Jul 23, 2009
Yahtzee said he wanted more weapons than eyeballs. How about Borderlands? That has a funk-ton of weapons of all shapes and sizes.

Plus i think he should get around to reviewing the new pokemon game for DS!!

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Truckasaurus came to my town in the 90's. ...and we are still rebuilding.

and oh yeah, DUST!

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
in other words
"MW2, all is forgiven"?
So when exactly in CoD6 did you get to carry more than two guns at once?

Although I did find the dust to be pathetic. Why didn't they just license Geomod 2 or at least try to improve their own engine? It's just 1943 with more guns and maps. At least 1943 had the decency of being priced properly. Although at least everybody goes blind from the dust in multiplayer.