Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Idk if that many initials would fit under game genre. We could just call it dust shooter tho lol

chaos666

Jan 20, 2009
Another "modern" shooter bites the dust. Get me old school Doom on nightmare mode any day. I'm guessing Final Fantasy 13 or God of War 3 next. I know FF 13 is a JRPG and most likely will be thrashed, but still a review I'd like to see. Though God of War 3 is the review I can't wait to see.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
I think Yahtzee took the game a little seriously
BC2 is meant to be a take the piss war game
seriously if you stand still for a minute the characters start bickering about some random shit
still,i LOL'd

critic22

Jul 15, 2008
well the review was everything i expected IE Yahtzee hating on another game but i am just saying that the battle field games are more multi player style games while COD focuses on the story and single player, i still will continue to play BC2 after this and unless it gives me the black plague or a better game comes out.

mtk2a

Sep 11, 2008
Wow. Not one word about the multiplayer.

Which is, by the way, THE ENTIRE STONKING POINT of the game.

The single player is just a bonus, like the baked potato you get with a delicious ribeye steak. Would you review a steak restaurant by going on and on about the mediocre potato and never even mentioning the steak?

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
I'm glad to finally find somebody who agrees with me in that the whole "realistic" FPS fad is getting really old.

Also, to anybody who posted a comment here complaining about how Yahtzee didn't talk about the multiplayer gameplay (which describes most of the people who commented, oddly), either you need to watch/read some more of his reviews, since presumably you're completely new to ZP, or you need to give up and stop beating the dead horse. Yahtzee has explained multiple times why he doesn't play online multiplayer. If you can't be bothered to look it up yourself, read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6832-Extra-Punctuation-On-Multiplayer

Zani

May 14, 2008
What's up with people hating on the game?

And since when was a battlefield game realistic?

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I think most of the things he hated are the things I liked. Hell, I like the dust effects. It means hairy situations get hairier, with delightful chaos.

Also, I think he's exaggerating the difficulty of the mortar section. Being a reviewer, there's no way he plays on the hardest of the three difficulties (due to time constraint), and on the middle of them I may have died all of three times.

I he'd thrown out a gripe like "checkpoints are farther apart than typical", meaning "getting sniped sucks more than usual", I'd have followed him. If he'd bitched about all the vehicle sections, particularly some of the chopper sections where you must hit all the TOW launchers or get one-shotted... instead he bitches about dust.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
Didn't Battlefield 2 do the satellite image thing, and come out before Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2? Hmm....

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I get the feeling Yahtzee is just bad at FPS. Most of the time when he reviews them he is focusing on stuff that is rather mundane or unimportant to get his dig in on it. Sidestepping multiplayer because of personal bias may seem understandable but reviewing a game as the opposition to the target demographic of the game is like asking a little boy that hates barbies which barbie he likes the best. Of course, this is how you can tell if a game he reviews is actually good or not. To me it looks like BC2 got a good review.

I am not that interested in checking it out right away personally, but this episode was one of the worst ones I have seen so far.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
I have a certain thing about not wanting to read 15 pages of posts. So I'm sure this is said but well, bad luck, you'll hear it again. BFBC2 is an online game and whatever single player there is pretty much tacked on. It is, however formulaic, but reviewing it as a single player game doesn't do it justice.

PS Bought it, played it a bit... thought it was fairly "meh". I'm not really defending the game but rather the odd angle of the review. It'd be like reviewing an MMO but only playing solo content... yes that is part of it but it isn't exactly the core component of the game.

Newkenyanguy

Mar 28, 2010
dust for the game is a hugh tattic for the online, the singleplayer I would agree, but being a long term battlefield player he has very much avoided the best thing about them is the multiplayer. Its kinda like buying a KFC family bucket and just having one or two for yourself and thrwoing the rest away.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
saxton121 said:
lol that was damn funny

and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start..who needs a loading screen with google maps?
You know that Battlefield started doing that in Battlefield 2? Which came out in 2005? The zooming in on the maps thing, that is.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
yeah hes being an idiot in this one like most of the time i understand what he means when he points out flaws in a game and i laugh at it but really half of this made no sense at all like the dust is too much??? its trying to be a little bit realistic if a building collapses its going to kick some dust up