Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

antidark777

Aug 12, 2009
snowfi6916 said:
I played Borderlands 1 and liked it somewhat. Got kind of boring after I beat it and rolled 2 or 3 more characters. I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet.

But I might have to reconsider that after I saw this. This is from the upcoming DLC, the Mechromancer skill tree:

I promise you this isn't Photoshoped.

Every single one of those skills is a reference to FiM. So yeah, I might need to pick that up =).
Ugh, i'll stick with commando thanks

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I was really looking forward to his take on the dialogue; I thought Anthony Burch did a fantastic job. I feel somehow deprived not hearing Yahtzee's humor clash with the tongue and cheek of the game conversations.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
Eh? Shub-Nigurath (sp?) ? Wasn't he/she/it the final boss from the 1st Quake?
The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, as imagined by Howard P. Lovecraft and given birth to by id.

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
I'm sure you don't read this deep in these threads, Yahtzee, but I wonder why you used a map of Iran for the quest part of the video. I am intrigued.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.
Maybe because MP doesn't fix anything, and using that to make up for a re-hashed, unimaginative game with legitimately bad qualities is pathetic and inexcusable?

I played all the way through Borderlands, and my experience online is that everyone moves 100x faster than my pace, drives off to wherever, with or without me, and Leeroy Jenkins' every quest and boss. If the connection isn't terrible, I actually got to stay and shoot at stuff with my horribly underpowered weapons because multiplayer difficulty.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
G-Force said:
What about the unique builds you can use with characters?
Unique builds? Please, it just add some passive bonus and I will bet my ass there are only about 2 and MAYBE 3 builds that works on last levels. This didn't change much in the first game. I just had like 2 builds. Depended on which weapon I used.

G-Force said:
How each active skill is modified by the skill tree?
The first game had that and it didn't that much. You still used the same skill over and over and over and over. No bloody variation there. I hardly used the skill as it was boring as hell and didn't do any cool stuff.

G-Force said:
What about the better quest writing and now each side quest has its own resolution that adds to the universe of borderlands?
If it's just a bit better from the first I can say that I really didn't care for anyone except the girl going crazy. She was the only character I cared about. Listening to the General was also nice. Everyone else could just kill themselves and I wouldn't care.

Doubt the 2:nd game gonna make me care that much.

G-Force said:
How about the increase emphasis on backstory and lore in addition to character backgrounds new and old?
More enemy types and enviorments.
So it has a backstory now? It better have. The old characters btw should be close to Godlike when they fight. But from what I've heard they ain't.

Some more enemies types is always good.

G-Force said:
An improved skill tree with the challenge system that allows players to select upgrades in what they want.

Is it really just a 1.5 game when almost everything was overhauld?
How much does those challenges change? A few % at time? I'm gonna guess not by much as I've played the first game and they are that eager to boost your power.

They didn't overhaul the game, they made some areas better than before but they still have the same boring skills. The game is still just about shooting things down and level up. Then look for loot.

They could have done so much more things with the active skills. So much more. For instance, the Turret could have it's projectile change from flame thrower to Lightning bolts depending on what artifact you use.

The other characters would have to get some other functions. This is just a 1.5 of Borderlands 1.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Zefar said:
They could have done so much more things with the active skills. So much more. For instance, the Turret could have it's projectile change from flame thrower to Lightning bolts depending on what artifact you use.

The other characters would have to get some other functions. This is just a 1.5 of Borderlands 1.
But turret does change. You can have it mount to walls and ceilings, have it detonate like an explosion, mount rockets, double its guns. Heck you can even take it down earlier to reduce CD.

Then there's Zero's escape which you can use for backstabbing or creating distance for your next sniper shot.

Or Maya that allows you to focus on elemental damage, disabling opponents or mind control

Haven't played gunzerker so I can't really say.

DarkPheonix13

Mar 22, 2012
Borderlands 1 was a better game than I thought it would be. As weird as this sounds, in FPS games, I like to avoid guns as much as possible, and if I can't, I use close range guns, like the shotguns, and Borderlands 1 gave a variety of half decent starting guns of every type at the beginning, and playing as Brick meant you don't even have to use guns at all.
While Borderlands 2 is all together better as it gets later in the game, and Borderlands 1 is technically slower to start, the start Borderlands 2 is much more miserable. Unless you like using Assult Rifles or SMG's, then you get to eat shit for 30 minutes, because that's the first time I found a half way decent starting shotgun, and while all of the characters have decent melee, noone can rely on it. So, for 30 minutes, it was one of the worst games I've ever played. I've now started to love this game, but because of the first 30 minutes, I can't ever call it a good game, I can call it decent, but not good.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
So I've been playing this for the past few weeks. It seriously seems like he passed the Wilhelm fight and then wrote the review whilst missing out on everything else in the game. -_-