Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

Kassidy Kearey

Oct 22, 2010
Bonerlands is an understandable love it or hate it game. I loved the first, I'm enjoying the second, Yahtzee the exact opposite of the first so this was expected.

Definitely agree on his point re multiple quest markers. They really should have taken a hint from Bethesda on that one.

Pop goes the bandit.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Team Widdlebiscuit defeated Shub-who last time?

Anyway, I expected as much from Yahtzee, yes Reddit has basically GUSHED over this game for the past week or so and it's nice to see it finally taken down a notch.

Have I ever played it? No. Will I? Eventually.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I liked the first one a lot but this one not so much, it's just so... slow. The quests give terrible exp and the 95% of the items you find might as well just be cash since you're gonna sell them anyway.

I do love the badass tokens feature though.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Sorry Yahtzee , but the review was kinda lame . Probably because there was nothing much to say about the game , other than the things that you said back in the review of BL1

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.
No if games are only supposed to be played in multiplayer than they should only have a multiplayer.

Also it sounds like Yahtzee was playing the PC version lol.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
They pretty much explain why it was so damn easy to kill the big threatening guy. You see the reprocussions of it in the very next mission. It's obvious Jack had to nerf him for his plan to work.

I didnt have a problem with tracking multiple missions. I just remembered where shit is. Though I guess you cant expect a play to do that.

The driving...yeah, cant argue with that one. It's the same problem I have with Halo games. Why the fuck would you put gas and reverse on the analog stick?

Other than that, I can say Boarderlands 2 is the most entertaining shooter I've played all year.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
disgruntledgamer said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.
No if games are only supposed to be played in multiplayer than they should only have a multiplayer.

Yeah, i sometimes wish they did. I never got why something like Call of Duty even has a singleplayer campaign.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Falterfire said:
Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.
You know, people keep saying that, but I'm not seeing it...

I hated the first Borderlands. The game had a cool quirky setting, but didn't do anything with it and the plot pretty much didn't exist. The central mechanic (Diablo-style loot in an FPS) sounded good on paper, but the difference between the various guns was miniscule and it essentially boiled down to slight variations of maybe a dozen guns. Finally, the enemy variety was appalingly bad (the whole "Killing Jason Vorhees over and over and over again" thing). All this resulted in a game with no plot, a boring central mechanic and gameplay that got insanely repetitive very fast.

On the other hand, Borderlands 2 takes all the good ideas and actually does them right. The quirky setting is put to better use, with the various characters interacting with you more, there's a proper plot and it's not even bad, there's an actual villain now and he's one of the more memorable antagonists in recent years. All of it made me want to play just to see what happens next, to hear the jokes, to find out how it plays out.

The guns were improved, with more variety between the manufacturers meaning that the promise from the first game was finally realized - dozens of notably different guns to pick and choose from. There was actual choice now and this made the looting process more fun.

Finally, the enemy variety was increased. Jason got a ton of new friends (like the Nomads and the Goliaths), there are several new enemy sets (the Rats, the Robots, Hyperion Personell) and the combat is more varried overall.

So the lack of plot was replaced with a solid plot and interesting characters, the weak central mechanic was elaborated upon and made interesting and the lack of variety in combat was remedied with, well, variety.

All this resulted in me loving Borderlands 2. I never even finished the first game (got to about 2/3 of the way once by forcing myself) but the sequel kept me playing happily through and I'll be doing my NG+ as soon as I'm done with Torchlight 2.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
NoAccountNeeded said:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?
Falterfire said:
Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.

As for the boss that was allegedly dangerous: Admiral Akbar can inform you about the true nature of the boss anyways.
I'm glad some people got it. I see this complaint all the time. The fact that Angel is the one to tell you to stay, and she is the one who POINTS OUT the power core, should be enough to tell people that it was a setup. But even when the shields go down and you start to get attacked, some people just don't get it.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:

He was playing on Xbox I'd wager. He used the term "hold down X to pick up everything," which is what Use is bound to on the 360 version, so, yeah. That.

Falterfire said:
Funny thing is, I loathed 1 but I'm loving 2. So I dunno if something has changed or if I just got dumber at some point, but that certainly seems not to be the case everywhere, thankfully.

I will agree the game's fundamentals haven't changed, but I found the gunplay to be much more visceral (and less crap) and the characters to be properly entertaining to be around instead of grating and obnoxious. So that's two big ticks there from me, I guess.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
I loved the first game, and i'm really enjoying this one. 2K made it very clear that this game is a shoot and loot and it is what it is. However, i do agree that the interface and vehicles could use some work. Otherwise, i think its great fun!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Toasty Virus said:
While not much has really changed, I'm still having a lot of fun with it!

I will agree that the cars still handle like fucking shit though!
Yup, they do. Especially with those fucking threshers grabbing the fucking things!

Loving Borderlands 2 though, shame my routers dead so I can't play online atm due to lack of wifi.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Yep. Have to agree with the review. Watched a friend play it for about an hour and was flabbergasted at how much time he had to spend opening boxes. Also, he confirmed that the shooting was as "sticky" as the original. I'm really fussy when it comes to my FPS mechanics, so I'm glad I didn't pick this game up.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
3 things I agree with:

1: The sissification of the original 4 heroes is incredibly contrived.
2: The vehicles handle awful.
3: Not being able to track multiple quests sucks

one thing I think he should have mentioned: The farming aspect, especially red chest farming or farming Sanctuary for Eridum.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
A lot of people seem to think that if Yahtzee played the game in co-op he'd enjoy it (more), but that's not necessarily true.

I, for instance, found Borderlands 1 boring after playing it by myself, so I got a friend to join it. It was just as boring and I sold it.

Then a few months later, confused at the idea that I found a game boring which so many others worship, I bought it again and played it with 2 other friends on XBL and with a friend on split-screen.

It was still pretty damn uninteresting, so I sold it again.

Some games just don't tick for some people. A few people hate Skyrim, or Fallout, or Halo, or Gears of War, or WoW, or Minecraft... and some people like CoD - and for me, with Borderlands, it just ain't working.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
NoAccountNeeded said:
tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
God... people are actually using zero punctuation to decide whether or not to buy a game?
I'm more surprised that people actually need excuses to not buy completely optional pieces of entertainment.

OT: Not being able to track multiple quests is annoying as hell, but other than that I've been a little more interested in the sequel than I was the original. Maybe because they actually tried to put context behind the actions you're taking this time around instead of just "You're a treasure hunter, go treasure hunting!"

Hopefully they release some awesome DLC expansions like they did for the first game, though.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Sounds like he immediately stopped playing after the Wilhelm fight.

SPOILER: There's a REASON Wilhelm goes down so so easily.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Heh, the cars handle horribly... I'm still in the dark as to what the hell they were thinking by making you steer the damn thing with your mouse on PC! We have a keyboard for a reason! Using W for trottle, while turning with the mouse just makes it impossible to free up a hand during driving for things such as scratching armpits, having a drink or petting needy cats!

Also, some of the Assault Rifles are stupid... Practically no magazine capacity an lenghty reload animations make for some pretty boring gameplay... Bandit and Vladof weapons <3.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game a lot. I find there are many interesting enemies, fun characters and a nice environment. I enjoy the distinctive style of the game, I hate Jacks guts and some of the guns are AWESOME!

It has long since become clear that Yahtzee and myself do not share a taste in videogames, and that's why I generally don't take his opinions as "good advice". I know his preferences and I know my own, based on that I can decide if I'll like a game or not. He's still really funny though, and what else do you need?!

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Never played borderlands because I totally suck at Shoot'em ups. Though I have heard some great things about it. And rpg elements in it? Sounded like a game for me. I also heard a lot of great things about Borderlands 2 so I figured, if for some strange reason Yahtzee would praise the game I would buy it. Did the same with saint row 2 and I really like that one in the end.

So Yahtzee thinks it's boring? Okay, no buy for me! What I did bought was the audiobook of Mogworld, though Yahtzee does sound a lot slower on that one...