Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
Stop taking ZP seriously. He's a comedian, not a critic.
Let me guess my comment riled you up because you like Borderlands 2?
I agree with Yahtzee about most games he reviews so yes I do take what he says under lots of consideration.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Yathzee did not like Borderlands 2?
Well twist my nipples spank my ass and call me tuesday, what a fiddlybonking surprise.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I was thoroughly bored by the first game, BL2 adds just enough variety to make it fun. Having a lower drop rate for guns would cut down on the whole comparison stuff and a DPS display would be nice too (especially with elemental weapons that get some unknown damage bonus when used against their optimal targets so you know even less whether gun A kills stuff faster than gun B). Also mentioning E-Tech effects on the weapon in the tooltip would be rather helpful too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pretty predictable review honestly.
It might as well have started with the words "I didn't like the first game..." and end with
"...because of that, I don't like this game."

A few points of contention:

1) You do not have to grind to progress or win. At all. I beat the game using solely what I received from the main quests, and random White/Greens I nicked from vending machines.
Any "grind" you encounter is either a different interpretation of the phrase (this is slang after all) or it's self-inflicted.

2) The vehicle controls work perfectly fine for me. I honestly cannot find what his problem was and suspect Mr. Croshaw either missed the part where they mention the hand-brake/drift button, or he just invented a problem for the sake of a joke.

The latter of which is fine for "teh lulz"; not so fine for a review.

3) "...into the unexplored realms of shooting Jason in a scrapyard, and also it's been snowing a bit." (paraphrase)

Oversimplification is easy. Watch.

-Prince of Persia: "A guy who jumps around a lot to stab people and reach far ledges."
-Portal: "You make portals to get from point A to point B while a silly computer spits one-liners at you."
-Silent Hill 2 series "Psychotic losers go to spooky town and mostly die."

As for the humor potential in that line, it didn't go anywhere for me.

I could expound upon what was changed and improved from Borderlands 1, but why bother? I've already put more effort into this one part of my post than he put into that part of his review.

4) "Stop and Go gameplay" (paraphrased)

A fairly stupid and meaningless statement, given how many (real time) games have rising action and falling action that works in the same way.

This plays to the nature of gunfights in most FPSs.
Unless it's a "monster mash" shooter, most fights involve taking cover and retaliating.
(though I could make an equally useless, snide comment about how old monster mash shooters were nothing more than circle strafing with various weapons)
Maybe Yahtzee would prefer a shooter without a reload button.

Besides those, I do agree with what he said about the story.

There was another Vault. Plot convenience makes for a shitty plot.

Handsome Jack's motivations to lure Vault Hunters and then kill them is patently stupid; it doesn't eliminate competition, and if you find the backstory ECHOs, most of the characters were going to Pandora in spite of Jack's plan anyway (Salvador is a native of Pandora even).

I also have a problem with the masses calling them "Vault Hunters", like it's some sort of mystical rank. Apart from the Sirens, what specifically distinguishes a Vault Hunter from the regular rank-and-file? What gives them their badass powers?

The post-battle roundup of ammo and loot can become rather tedious, but it isn't that bad. Most generic resources like ammo and money will auto-pickup after fights.
Only on rare occasion did I find myself having to do inventory maintenance (and use that infernal interface), since selling item is a pretty quick and simple process.

Duffeknol said:
I know looking to find your opinion validated on the internet is pretty lame, but it can sure as hell feel satisfying sometimes, especially when half the internet tried to kick you to death if you so much as mumble that you don't like Borderlands because it's repetitive and boring, and that comparing numbers to more numbers shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun.
Because clearly, you are the one and only person who gets to dictate how people should have fun.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I was just talking to some friends about the game. Apparently there are these things called "badass points", "badass levels", and some more badass shit. I noticed that my friends were all talking about all these "Badass" things like they were doing their taxes.

I asked them if they thought all of this was all still so "badass", when you can end up talking about it the same way as if you're having a chat with your accountant, and while one said yes right away I am not so convinced. The other peson said it was more like a total overuse/misuse of the word badass, but still fun.

I don't really have much interest in this game. From what I have heard about it, it seems to be trying to hard to be (wait for it) "BADASS", and I have seen other games do it's kind of gameplay better. Though those were single player games, but I don't really care that much about this game's co-op.

Oh well, fun review from Yahtzee at least.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Yeah, I hate to come off as a raging fanboy, but I think Yahtzee just doesn't get this one. The sad part is he usually acknowledges when he knows he doesn't get a game, but I don't think he realizes it this time. BL2 is a good sequel by his own definition, but it sounds like he skipped past everything that would have told him so. The last blurb in the video also shows his lack of understanding of the game's universe. Pandora is a borderland planet. The giant junkyard isn't some frontier of a well-developed world. Maybe he knows that and is just trolling. I don't know.

Jan 27, 2011
Eh, pity.

Then again, you have to play game solo when reviewing. It gets much better with buddies. Fights get longer, and more intense and with more buddies, you can loot areas much much faster.

Well, whatever. :p Another fun review.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
tmande2nd said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
Stop taking ZP seriously. He's a comedian, not a critic.
Let me guess my comment riled you up because you like Borderlands 2?
I agree with Yahtzee about most games he reviews so yes I do take what he says under lots of consideration.
Nope, but I've seen his vids and it's completely baffling that people use his opinion to choose what games they buy.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
New quest people, find Yahtzee's missing hatred.

Retward: -5 disposition.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
lancar said:
Overall, I like Borderlands 2 :) At the very least, it's something to pass the time with until XCOM:EU comes out.

Somehow, they made the endboss even easier than in BL1, though. Not sure how they managed that.
I never had any issues with the end boss of the first other than running out of ammo. So I am wondering how they'll manage that. Haven't got to the endboss of BL2 yet, but I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
I'm actually surprised he didn't like the story this time around...I thought it was pretty good.

*SPOILERS*
And while I'm sure this has already been mentioned by somebody, Wilhelm (the giant robot he mentioned) was purposefully easy in the story because Jack WANTED you to take the power core so he could lower Sanctuary's shields.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Icehearted said:
It's a "shooter" in the sense that there are guns and you have to point them, but one of the things I found in the first was no matter how good your aim (and my aim is really really good, pad or mouse) unless your stats are high enough standing right next to something and shooting it point blank will have you miss your target at least 50% of the time. Also the rpg elements seemed more an excuse for more grinding. Adding stats to a game to appeal to rpg players as opposed to a real rpg that uses guns (Mass Effect comes to mind) is just weak-ass pandering.

And speaking of pandering, all the memes they're shoving into games now, as if these things were funny to begin with.
Your aim in both the games depends on the gun you use. When they say a massive variety of guns they mean it. Each gun manufacturer in the game has its own strengths or weaknesses that you have to figure out. For example, in the first game if you want to run in and spray bullets everywhere you go with a vladof because of their high rate of fire, but if you want to stay back and get headshots you pick a jakobs or a hyperion for their good accuracy and damage. If you try to snipe with a vladof you'll miss a lot because those guns have horrible accuracy.

Yeah you can get some skills to make that vladof gun more accurate, but in the end you'll still be missing a lot because that gun has inherently bad accuracy.

Also i have never ever grinded in either of the games and i managed to do finish everything without much trouble. Any stat other than gun stats aren't that important.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I find the lack of imps disturbing! Or did I just miss them?

I like the game though, being playing it almost none stop. Still, everybody has a different favorite flavour of ice cream.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Borderlands is the definition of style over substance. Beneath all the colourful characters and pretty visuals lies a shallow, manipulative item grind, boring and repetitive fetch quests copy-pasted a thousand times over, and one of the least interesting character progression systems ever. It's not like anything about the game is especially bad, or not functional, but rather it's about as superficial and unengaging as possible. Played five minutes of Borderlands, you've played the whole game.

Oh wait, there are a few things that suck. Lack of active skills to use, level-scaled damage, poor shooting mechanics and really wonky hitboxes. So there we go.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Yep, exactly the same impression I got from TB's video and bits and piece of uncut footage. Seems like a polished skinner box at best.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Surprised he didn't rage at the cars more.

Easily the worst thing I've come across so far is a timed mission where driving is required, it was absolutely dreadful since the car handles like complete and total ass. I'd say it's gotten worse, it feels worse to me, but that's probably just faulty memory. Either way, hit a slight bump in the road in you do a complete 180. I cannot believe that didn't get fixed, or made less shit at least, it's been left practically untouched.

Yeah, my major problem with the game so far is that it's just too iterative, like, so utterly safe. The envelope just hasn't been pushed even a remote amount, like everything this game does better it does one thing worse, badass ranks are good, terrible timed missions where using the shitty car handling is required, absolutely abhorrent.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.
I think it's a legimate point. Not everybody has people to play with that you can trust.
Sure, I can play with some randoms, but then they may accept a quest or something when i'm waiting till the end of the game so the reward will be max level.

Anyways, it seems yahtzee didn't realize ammo and money is picked up by walking over it now.