Zero Punctuation: Brink

widowspeak

May 20, 2009
Initially, I was intrigued by the idea of Brink, simply because the premise seemed like an great setup for some interesting Bioshock-esque gameplay of the "thinking man" variety.

Then I saw the trailers, and said, "Please. If I want to do all that, I'll just fire up TF2." (Better haul that bottle back out, friends.) My coworkers thought I was nuts, so it's nice to see I'm not THAT crazy for thinking of that.

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
i can't believe they had the nerve to charge full retail price for this stupid game. There really isn't even a campaign, it's just multiplayer with NPCs playing as the other characters. If the game were good i would understand but it's just another dumb generic first person shooter with no campaign.

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Just 5 shots, what do you think we are kindergarden? I was expecting some TF2 themed song on the end to finish us up, but nooooo.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Any game getting compared to TF2 will fall flat dead to the ground in a shivering shroud of dribble..

Nothing beats TF2.. Almost played it for 1400 hours now.. Enjoying it much still..

FirmartheTrilby

Sep 13, 2010
I can confirm what Yahtzee said. I played the game on friend's computer and oh god...It's just...Dull imo and I don't see point in it. It also feels really really generic.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Glad to see Yahtzee did a review on this game.

I purchased Brink, played it for two weeks now, and I'm bored with it. I managed to 100% it and all that's left to do is wait for the free DLC patch. I doubt I'lll download it cause I'm selling this game. This wasn't worth 60 bucks honestly. It felt short and repetitive, even with the customization of multiple styles. During my audio log run, I got so bored with this game, I was hoping I could finish quick enough so I can get rid of it.

Oh yeah, and I hate the AI bots in this game. Your teammates will stand around, die before they can heal you, stop what they're doing to shoot when you're the one who guarding them, and put the landmines near our supply command post (the one that the AI will never get to (EVEN ON HARD)/the one where me and my teammates always respawn from). And I swear, everytime when I hear either side say "They're taking our command post!," I swear I wish I had the option to get them to care more about the main objective, or just shut up.

And last the story; I could care less about that and the characters. I'm not joking.

So yeah, Brink can go sink, and take the Ark with it too.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Tonimata said:
5 Shots? Come on Yahtzee, you could've done much worse! I actually paused to go get a bottle of whisky, mainly because I don't feel like working this afternoon and need an excuse.
Watch it again with the rule in effect, then add the rule again. It gets messy when you start taking 2 shots for every shot he calls, and just one for the other comparisons.
Done. And man, do I hate being so resistant to alcohol. Worst of all, it's like 36 fucking degrees here. UGH, now I'm dizzy, bored and angry!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I wondered if we'd have a Zero Punctuation about Brink, I know Yahtzee tends to avoid multiplayer games and I figured Conduit 2 might be the more likely target for this week. Maybe we'll see Conduit 2 next week, although then we're getting in to LA Noire territory.

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
Thespian said:
.... WHY MUST YOU NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE YAHTZEE :(

Oh well. Fair enough review anyway.

... Just give Brink a chance peoples. PLEASE D:
I did and...

Nope, still one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune of buying.

For once, I agree with everything Yahtzee said in his review. I knew Brink would suck, I knew it, but I bought it anyway and I'm out $30 bucks (thank you newegg preferred members discounts for hacking the price in half). Oh well, I guess I'll go back to Tf2(take a shot)

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
honestdiscussioner said:
Today's episode of Vocab with Yahtzee is brought to you by the word "Battynuggets".
Which I will use in everyday conversations

satoru

Sep 12, 2008
Urh said:
Odd that Yahtzee would criticise Brink for forcing people to unlock content and kindly ignore that TF2 (take a drink) did the same thing with the early class packs, (i.e. tying item unlocks to achievements, which was then supplemented with the utterly horrid random drop/crafting/microtransaction system they have now). Kudos to him for reiterating that the TF2 (take a drink) hats completely ruined the game's aesthetic (which, if you listen to the in-game commentary, Valve spent a *lot* of time obsessing over during development).
I think the criticism is more on a different level. First in TF2 the classes are VERY different right from the start. They each have significantly differnent play styles, so even if you never see the class pack you are still getting a different play style if you switch up between a scout and a pyro. Where as in Brink the criticism is that you are essentially the SAME guy with the SAME guns but a different 'use' key.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
ryai458 said:
Brink was made by Splash Damage not Bethseda.
Indeed. To clarify:

Beth The Publisher:

Beth The Game Developer:

Do Publishers make all the design decisions? Are all publishers as EVIL as EA?

But we like the Game Studio. Yay Bethesda Game Studio.

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Ha! I knew it. When I first heard of Brink I saw it as freaking Call of Duty and the freerunning ability from Mirror's Edge. Wait... Ahh Ahhhh LAME! Oh... You can change your outfit, now clearly that game will become one of the best games of 2011....Ahahahahahahahahaaa! I can't even type with a straight face! Brink clearly is the right word for this game, because after coming out, it's already on the Brink of Death. Let it die my fellow gamers, Let it die.