Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

qwerty15990

Apr 14, 2009
im starting to get worried that yahtzee looks TOO far into a game and forgets that it IS just a game. i agree that it didnt top cod4 but it is still pretty fun. if you just put those niggling thoughts to one side and play a game to have fun. but i guess its all down to how people veiw it themselfs.

coladict

Jan 20, 2009
And now the final credit reminds me that once again I forgot to go out and buy a warm hat for the winter.
This review is better than most of what we've seen in the past two or three months. The trip abroad must have helped refresh the brain.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
You know, the modern warfare games are a kind of stepping stone in what I want in a game in that the protagonist will die, but that's not all I want.
Nay, I want all the good guys to die, and the bad guys to win, STOP, I'm not done, no responding until you finish reading:
I know there are a ton of games that have this, a lot of them RPGs, but those always have a good ending, which is usually the canon one, nay, I want one were there is only one ending, and it's where all the good guys die, AND STOP, I know there are quite a few play-as-the-baddie games where the baddies win, but no, that's not what I'm talking about either, I'm saying I want a game where you are the good guy, not the bad one, and you and all the other good guys die, and the baddies win. It would certainly be a new thing in games and quite possibly looked upon badly for it's end, but it'd be original, and that's what we need.

Aug 30, 2009
Rafe said:
Shame he doesn't play online -- the reason nearly EVERYONE bought it.

Amazing review though and glad 'ya liked it.
he probably doesn't want to play multiplayer because 1. the annoying screaming fucktards that scream at the top of their lungs everytime they die say "WHAT! HE SO DIDN'T HIT ME! THE FAGGY NOOB!" and 2 it has nothing to do with the actually game it's just something so you can play with your friends and have a good time.

any nice review as always

Above

Oct 3, 2009
Modern warfare 3:Solid Soap LOL
russia invades america BAM!
"NEIN!"
Awesome review :D

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Sounds like a terrible game.

bachterman said:
yeah, infinity ward is nothing more than a brand that generates rubbish.
Before MW2, everyone was singing their praises with the first one (but not before telling me off for buying Treyarch's CoD:WaW). Why the sudden switch? I haven't played either MW, so I wouldn't know.

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
this game has a really good single player...yeah its only 6 hours but each second of this 6 hours is an "oh shit" moment and the story is great, and its a given that the multiplayer is great.

Matu Flp Krwfe

Apr 1, 2009
One of Yahtzee's closing comments actually caused my withered sack of filth that is my brain to make a connection to another person/place/thing without it being explicitly stated.

MW2 is the Halo 2 of the xbox 360. Both are the sequels of smash megahits that for all intents and purposes were accidental successes at best as illustrated by the "how far can they go-pulling away from writing desk" story modes. Neither came to the "greatness" they've been so touted for by critics and children alike entirely on purpose because if they did they would have had some greater intentions for what to do with the sequel. Instead of a carefully constructed development ark, incrementally building the players up through gradually introduced and improved upon game mechanics, content, plot lines, and overreaching themes to some sort of grand finale of the concept that is the third game in the series, both Halo and MW both opted to go bat shit bonkers and take things, in the campaign, as far as they could go as soon as they could, thus leaving the third installment, one in practice and one in potential, with a set of unrealistic expectations for the growth and development of the franchise which will ultimately contort it form the grand experiences that it was in the begining to a fanboy distopia, desperately trying accomidate for it's now grotestque form to reignite the fires that made it the success it accidently turned out to be through sole dedicated to multiplayer fan service. Thus, the franchise is killed, growth is stymed under the oppressive, and obstinant, whims of the fans, and the world returns it to the mediocrity from whence the franchise came.

/tangental rant.

ChaosGenesis

Mar 11, 2009
CopperBoom said:
ChaosGenesis said:
Fantastic game. Short (but fun) campaign, spec ops was great and amazing multiplayer.
Definitely worth buying.

And if I may.... why does everyone keep saying the story isn't realistic... it's a video game. It doesn't have to be. But it's fun. Isn't that what matters? Just sayin'
I do not think it is worth buying, I was lucky enough to be able to Craigslist it for only five dollars less than I paid. I would say it was worth the five dollars I lost, but nothing more. Fun Factor is enough, but my gripe is not with realism, but I just did not enjoy it. It was not *fun*.
And to each their own. Admittedly I would not have purchased MW2 (or any previous CoD game) if it were not for the multiplayer. But any game that can keep me from boredom for any excess of 50 hours deserves my money and the multiplayer will likely fulfill that quota much like its predecessors.

Sky Captanio

May 11, 2009
Good review as always. And I completely agree.

There's a fine line between Too Realistic and Not Realistic Enough and this line is where the good games are made. Cod4 is standing proudly on this line. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has tripped and just fallen a tad into Too Realistic. Operation Flashpoint is so far into Too Realistic it can't even see the line. And Modern Warfare 2 has fallen behind the rest of the pack and is now somewhere between Die-Hard and Rambo.

At least that's my opinion anyway.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
One thing that really pisses me off about MW2 (besides the ludicrous storyline, getting killed every 5 seconds, bad guys appearing behind your back all the time, my superior constantly yelling at me to hurry up and the pathos and drama) is the inability to JUST TURN THE FREAKIN MUSIC OFF.

Seriously, the missions playing in DC with the *heartbraking* "oh-no, America is being attacked!" music in the background almost drove me insane.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Yahtzee has pretty much summed up the problem I have with shooters on the Xbox consoles. They have extremely good graphics, control, and gameplay; but it's all going to the multiplayer. It makes me wonder if they didn't include the single-player campaign solely for the opportunity to spark controversey and, as Yahtzee said, generate free advertising from the subsequent media outrage.

I miss Quake II and Starsiege Tribes.

SuperTurkey

Feb 12, 2009
Why THE FUCK does Yahtzee not play the multiplayer sections of these games? Its a first person shooter and seriously, removing a bunch of ai's brain fluid through a .44 caliber hole in their face gets old after a while, you gotta move on to beating the shit out of some twelve year old in Germany. He did this with Halo 3 as well; yes the singleplayer was lacking but come on, you can't say you have reviewed something if you skip more than half of the game. Also, I would like to point out that the multiplayer in Modern Warfare 2 is the single best example of first person shooting that I can point out. Its polished, its entertaining, the rpg-level-up elements add replay value out the wazoo, and its just a lot of fun.

SuperTurkey

Feb 12, 2009
Why THE FUCK does Yahtzee not play the multiplayer sections of these games? Its a first person shooter and seriously, removing a bunch of ai's brain fluid through a .44 caliber hole in their face gets old after a while, you gotta move on to beating the shit out of some twelve year old in Germany. He did this with Halo 3 as well; yes the singleplayer was lacking but come on, you can't say you have reviewed something if you skip more than half of the game. Also, I would like to point out that the multiplayer in Modern Warfare 2 is the single best example of first person shooting that I can point out. Its polished, its entertaining, the rpg-level-up elements add replay value out the wazoo, and its just a lot of fun.