Zero Punctuation: Dead Rising 2

T1tan1umTurtl3

Oct 7, 2010
People for Ethical Treatment of Zombie lol Zombies are not second-class citizens!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/e51e/

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I had a feeling Yahtzee would like this one. I mean who doesn't like killing zombiez with whatever everyday appliances they can find!?

Kekon3

Dec 4, 2008
BAHAHAHAH! I love this review, because I've been talking about it to my friends and everthing I've joked about is in this review "The Defiller (Axe sledgehammer) is the equivalent the win button", "There is no other combos that are useful except the Defiller", "Why do I hate looters when I act like a looter throughout most of the game", "It seems as if you need to be playing on your second run to stand a frikin chance"
And there was something I was expecting Yatzhee to say that he didn't, which was "If you played Dead Rising 1 and would like a new Dead Rising experience, well then don't play this one cause its the exact same thing."

Tearopenthelives

May 15, 2008
Doubt many read this far but still might as well.

All I can really say is FINALLY, a review that captures the fact that the game is FUN, I've read several and it's all, Grr no plot grr repetitive grmbl, which is qutie saddening, but I had a good feeling about this review I figured if anyoen can capture the spirit yahtzee can (Y)

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Last week a game was torn down for allegedly having a bland story. Capcom has a shit story but they're Capcom and it's expected, so all is forgiven.
Last week's game was uninteresting due to repetitive combat. Yahtzee plays through DR2 with one particular weapon combination he happens to like.
Last week's ZP was derisive about the game not fleshing out their characters enough (even though there's a perfectly acceptable reason for this in the context of the story), Dead Rising 2's NPCs primary characteristics are uselessness and greed.

Nothing is said about the motivations and machinations of the characters in DR2 because presumably they don't matter. There's only a passing reference to the reason the protagonist of DR2 has taken this job as Hell's Janitor because it presumably doesn't matter. The game forces you to restart over and over, grinding levels and hurling yourself at a wall until you eventually break through, creating false difficulty and artificially padding out the actual content of the game. I played Dead Rising 1 and got sick of it very quickly. The fact that you can fail a boss fight because the mission timer runs out in the middle of a boss fight is something that you should be angry about, not forgive. Remember Halo Wars? Remember when you refused to even complete the game because your guys "lost contact" from 20 feet away because of an arbitrary mission timer? Fuck you!
On top if that, based on the demo of Case Zero I played the game still controls like bloated ass.

But for some reason this game gets the Yahtzee Croshaw thumbs up because you can beat the whole game with one weapon and slaughter thousands of zombies along the way.

Well shit Yahtzee, I think other studios need to stop trying so hard. You're apparently very easy to please.

Nephilium

Oct 29, 2009
Actuly the defiler isnt as game breaking as you may think, the game breaker in DR2 comes in the 4th act. when you kill the mall security officer that acts like a pure blood redneck in the mall area to the south west of the hotel. his revolver may as well be a portable cannon for the damage it does, and it has 60 rounds, the i win combo is simply walk to the local bar, blend to beers together to make a painkiller (drink that lowers all incoming damage by 50% for 60 seconds) grab the revolver then head to a boss fight. i got S class ending on my first play thru using this method, it just makes the game stupidly easy.

lordswift

Apr 16, 2009
I dont think the Axe-sledgehammer was a very good weapon for boss fights. it was a bit slow to hit anyone.especially a few bosses who has melee weapons as well.
Best weapon in the game is "boxing gloves + Bowie knife = Wolverine, fast to attack and you dont get disarmed by bosses.
Also lazor sword is mega powerful Torch + Gems, watch out for the large swinging arc, nearly lost a few survivors using that

edit: Wolverine gloves and the book that boosts blade weapons is deadly also

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Arkhangelsk said:
Hm, might look into it. When Yahtzee actually says it's fun, I take an extra glance to see what could have caused that kind of wicked anomaly.
I blame some kind of paradox.....

Furcas

Jul 8, 2010
Holy Flaming Defiler, He liked it. After all the.. umm... (Whats the opposite of a fan boy?) Criticisms, I thought he would side with them.

Fisk777

Aug 2, 2010
Wow, seems that he liked it more than the first and somewhat in the way he liked saints row. What amazes me is this video was still funny even though he didn't make fun of the game all that much.

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
fun game, even funner once you get to higher levels. Too bad the difficulty curve still is like a brick wall.

NermanQ

Aug 11, 2010
Huh, new escapist video format (this is the first day I've been on in a while, so if it's been there for a few days, i wouldn't know).

The first game was one of my first 360 games I ever owned. I'm probably most happy to hear that the survivors are not STUPID ANYMORE!! I would get so pissed when I lost three survivors to them not being able to step over a plank on the floor!

Mr Waffle

Mar 18, 2010
Oh god, they still do the "timer runs out in middle of boss fight, you lose" crap? I ragequit the first game over that, fighting the chick on the motorbike, her health was almost gone when midnight came or whatever and she rode off. So infuriating.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
They kept the time system...And have crazy unfair bosses on the first playthrough?

I'll wait until it's cheaper then.

But the survivor AI doesn't suck?

I find that hard to believe. VERY hard to believe.

Edit:

Oh. I forgot. I must be a douche about this.

FIRST!...poster that actually finished watching the video.
not mentioned: There is no free-mods (unless you decide to let your daughter go Zombie)

OT: I'm kinda surprised he didn't mention the fact that the cars in DR2 make him think fondly upon the cars of Liberty City. Since it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to unlock vehicles though, it may not have come up in time or, it may have just seemed too trivial when compared to the psycho fights.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
yeah, i got the same feeling from Dead Rising 2 with its INSANELY imbalanced boss fights (like Sullivan, did ANYONE kill Sullivan on the first try? without having to reload a save? then TK is hella easy after that)
I had the opposite. TK was fucking bullshit and Sullivan was hard but not that hard kind of hard. All I did was kick him then hit him with my lightsaber while he was down. TK took me three attempts though.

Mr Waffle said:
Oh god, they still do the "timer runs out in middle of boss fight, you lose" crap? I ragequit the first game over that, fighting the chick on the motorbike, her health was almost gone when midnight came or whatever and she rode off. So infuriating.
That's an easy problem to fix, just get there earlier. You shouldn't wait till the last second to do anything in my opinion or you'll miss it. Also, in the first game, don't you have like 50 minutes to go fight her in real time? Just run and grab some guns in the gun store and come back. As long as you don't take too long she won't go anywhere.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I managed to kill Sullivan with only level 25 or something,didn't reload a save but had multiple runs to recharge and get more items that give health.TK was piss easy compared to him.

OT: Great review Mr.Croshaw.

I'm surprised he actually liked this one.But who doesn't say that zombie killing with random and customized weapons isn't fun? or relieves stress for that matter :>

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
RANDOM OPINION NO ONE CARES ABOUT:

Dead Rising 2 was a definite step up from the first and while it was basically the same game all over again, the little things made it a more refined experience, mostly the save slots (not mentioned), weapons customization, AI and variety.

Timing also seemed somewhat more flexible since the only boss I did miss was the tiger trainer that wasn't even scripted and briefly around... and technically the last of the four rednecks but again, not scripted and briefly there also.

Also the mention of a "pink chainsaw", was this from the fat gimp? Got him on first try which is odd since online he's painted as one of the hardest... which brings me onto the final boss of 72 hour mode (not overtime), who some called cheap... I don't know if they were playing it wrong but he wasn't that bad at all. Tricky, yes but not cheap.