Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Best Review/Rant I've seen in awhile, definitely what I needed during this finals week to bring my spirits up.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Hey his voice sounds different! Whats up with that? Huh guys??!! I bet they replaced him with someone else! I bet its Jon Ethridge doing the voice now!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
axleblaze said:
Why do I look at the comments for these? All they manage to do is piss me off. Every week there are aa bunch of stupid sycophants going "great job yahtzee! This game is terrible!" His job is too say bad things about games. If you're not taking his reviews with a grain of salt YOU ARE A MORON! Seriously, here he complained that a game that is known for being hard is hard, and it's clear he didn't even try to get good at it. The dodge button is useless? No it's not. That's simply wrong...you just have to actually use it well rather than mindlessly pressing it. It's also clear that Yahtzee didn't level up or even leave the first level. This is a great game but it takes time and effort. The game is actually very reasonably challenged and almost never actually unfair. It just starts out hard and gives you some strict rules and doesn't hold your hand. Almost every time I died in this game, it was a result of me being unskilled, rather than the game being unreasonable.
To reiterate, if anyone makes a decision of whether or not to buy this or any other game based on one of Yahtzee's "reviews" they are a moron.
Welcome to the Escapist!

Every Wednesday is ZP fanboy day.

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
Hmm. I totally expected Yahtzee to comment on the lack of story, or rather the small tidbits of story that is provided you in a confusing manner that really doesn't amount to anything until you complete the game.

I like Demon's Souls. I consider it less a game and more a simulation. Simulations tend to try for as much realism as possible at the expense of ease or even fun. What I found rewarding is that I could pick up Demon's Souls and play through the first level and then later on I found that I could clear through the earlier levels easier not simply because my stats were better but because I understood how to play better. The game rewarded me for learning when to use caution and when to run as fast as I could. It reminded me of the old text based rogue-like games, only a little less brutal in its random events.

I never had that kind of problem with the dodging. But then I was always more of a shield guy. If I am trying to dodge, I'd keep myself locked on the enemy and dodge to the side, or back and to the side. The game rewards you for cautious play and making smart maneuvers rather than relying on a one button does all defensive maneuver. Also how far you dodge and how quickly you dodge were directly proportional to your stats, being an RPG and all.

My buddies and myself also found some enjoyment in watching each other's play throughs and how we each died, learning how the level goes so each of us learns a little bit more. Also the game uses a state save like system, so your progress is saved but death is still a very real issue since you can't simply quit and reload. Later on in the game you gain more items and abilities to resurrect yourself without having to kill a boss.

SnootyEnglishman said:
Well i can officially say i'm not on board for this game...specially since i tend to be a more defensive player in battle based games and it seems if dodging doesn't do shit then i guess blocking an attack would consist of sticking your face out whilst legions of guards come at you with sharp, shiny and pointed objects
Actually you'd be wrong. Blocking is a system of shield/weapon value combined with stamina. As long as you have stamina and a weapon/shield with a good defense rating, you'll take zero to little damage. The game is very much about playing defensively against most of the basic demon types.

Mostly though I agree with Yahtzee's overall assessment. This game is not for everybody. The challenge is the main appeal and while atmospheric and well done this is definitely a rental. If you can get past the first stage without throwing your controller in frustration, you'll find it all gets easier from there. :)

axleblaze

Dec 16, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Every Wednesday is ZP fanboy day.
I've been wanting to post a rant like this for a while...as I said I don't know why I even click the comments if I know they're going to piss me off. Every time I go to comment I realize I have to register and back down, but for people not to buy a wonderful game like Demon's Souls based on Yahtzee not giving it a fair chance really irritated me into action.
I mean, if you don't like hard games, fine, don't play them. It's not like this game hides that it's hard. But also don't complain when the game turns out to actually be hard. It's not like this game is like IWBTG where the game just hates you. This game always plays fair within the rules it sets up.

Tulun

Dec 16, 2009
Haha! I know exactly how he feels. The same thing happened to me on the first couple levels, including the Red Dragon thing. But, once you learn the levels, and if you roll Royal (or learn Soul Arrow), the game becomes way easier. After Tower Knight (1-2) you can also do a little leveling, and from there can get the Purple Flame Shield. It's just a matter of beating the first hump.

I really enjoyed this game once I got past the first hump.. until world 4. God, that world made me nerd rage. If he thought the first world was bad, he didn't even get to the ballbuster that is World 4 (Ironically, the bosses are easy, but the level itself can go fuck itself).

I think it's very true that this game really is far too punishing on the player. They could have eased up a little and kept the game awesome.

rmx687

Mar 3, 2009
Wow what an untruthful review. First of all, yes, there are no checkpoints, but throughout each level you open up shortcuts so you don't need to do all the backtracking.

Second, dodging works wonderfully. If the enemy takes another swipe, dodge again. Roll to the Side. Block. Parry, then counter. Run around him and stab him in the back for a nice little cinematic. Don't cry like a little baby when the coddling of contemporary mainstream gaming leaves you flat on your face.

Lastly, in the aforementioned level 1-2 the dogs aren't that ravenous, and the soldiers are hardly "elite". You just don't know how to play the game.

Sad that when a game breaks away from the widespread conventions that are diluting and ruining our gaming experiences, it gets criticized. But then again, this is Yahtzee, and if he doesn't arbitrarily reach for straws for insults that make the review "witty" and funny, no one will watch his videos and The Escapist will lose advertising revenue.

I think gaming is dead.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
I haven't laughed this hard at a zp in a month. Oh this was too funny.

I almost want to try the game so I can know first hand how terrible it is xD.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
thanks for tearing this game a new one, i feel its justice for the tearing me apart when i played the damn game

Nidhoog

Nov 9, 2009
So yahtzee got his ass kicked by the game and soo stoped playing it...would you like me too make you a nice bubble bath so you can clean your massive vagina. The part you were talking about where you fight a knight and some bowmen i will admit was very hard, they killed me about seven times before i finally got past it and even then the boss ended up killing me. But by the time my second character came into exsistence i was left woundering what made that part so hard in the first place. Quite frankly the title for Demon's Souls (i love it and i still hate the name) should have been "Demon's Souls pussies need not apply"

NMG1

Apr 5, 2008
It was not so much a review this week, but more of a running commentary....

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Why does Yahtzee's voice sound different?

I really enjoyed this ZP, I can't put my finger on why though!

Better go watch it again.

Multi-Kill said:
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Multi-Kill said:
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Jesus christ does Yahtzee get up early! Its 3:00am in Australia!
But it's 12:07 PM on the east coast of America.
How is that valid? Yahtzee lives in Brisbane, Australia.
Most of his viewers are in America is why.
My good lord, are you the best troll in the world or something?.

MrLeville

Dec 16, 2009
Demon's Souls is NOT HARD, (that's what people say because they play it like diablo), Demon's souls is just unforgiving : if you fuck up, you'll die and have to start over. (and yeah charging blindly, not paying attention to your environment, not taking 10sec to use your brain to determine what tactic you should be using IS fucking up).

The review was very funny cause I experienced exactly the same thing when I first played it, problem is that was only the first 2-3 hours and the game only shine after that, when you finally understand that this is NOT a hack'n slash and should not be played like one, if yatzee has 10 more hours to offer this game I'm sure the complete review would be even funnier.

Other opinions http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/acz2t/let_me_tell_you_about_demons_souls/

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
geldonyetich said:
I imagine a lot of defenders of Demon's Souls will come out of the woodwork who find nothing wrong with a game that completely screws you over as they interpret this as it being "hard." You know, the same folks who were defending I Want To Be The guy a week or two ago.
It -doesn't- completely screw you over. Every death in the game is avoidable. NONE of them are cheap, and all of them can be averted in multiple ways.

It's finding those ways that's the challenge. And dying isn't 'GAME OVER' it's 'Well, you made a mistake. Don't do that again.'

Sometimes it takes time to figure things out. You might have to grind a bit. But... it's not cheap. It's challenging.

But then again, it's not a singleplayer FPS, so it's not Yahtzee's cup of tea. Just like his review of NSMBWii-- Says that it's rehashing, without understanding that some people WANT an old-school mario platformer. Just because we have 3d graphics cards doesn't mean these games suck or are no longer 'fun'.