Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
Currently playing DX:HR, and i hate to sound like a broken record but Yahtzee is right, the depth and complexity (well ok to be fair i have extremely high standards for video games, sorry) of the game seemed a little lacking, but that isn't even a minor concern to me since the story, and the fact that content is scattered throughout the game (yes i like to read the content which is in the form of little data-pad thingies, sue me). DX the original took me forever to play because i read everything in that game, i got as far as half way through China?, sneaking into this research facility or something, after that i never played it again, and i regret it.

Bottom line, find an old ATI radeon 3500 an old Asus AI, and an old Pentium 3 yes 3! computer, with DX9 or something earlier, in order to play the original DX, although i havent played it in a while, i doubt i'm able to play it on my computer since it's so old....i might try to lolz

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
May have been mentioned already (searched but did not find) but have any of the PubClub members noticed that the 'high quality flash' setting on this video is, in fact, not high quality? It's blurry and less smooth than normal for ZP in High Quality.

Comparing it with the HTML version the latter is significantly more detailed (and slower to load as it's just bigger)

It could be a problem on my end, but I don't think it is. Could anyone explain the discrepancy? Does 'high quality' just link to the wrong version?

Also: good stuff on the episode itself.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Hre's a thought; will Yahtzee be playing Human Revolution on PC or console? Cos' I'll invetiably have to play it on the Xbox and I wonder how it's gonna compare to the PC, apart from running more smoothly.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Kingjackl said:
Hre's a thought; will Yahtzee be playing Human Revolution on PC or console? Cos' I'll invetiably have to play it on the Xbox and I wonder how it's gonna compare to the PC, apart from running more smoothly.
The PC version has better graphics and better controls, especially for hacking. And a UI that fits the PC better.

Yahtzee will be probably playing the xbox 360 version since he isn't a PC gamer anymore to the point where he doesn't even invest in a PC, having a shitty laptop instead.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Kingjackl said:
The PC version has better graphics and better controls, especially for hacking. And a UI that fits the PC better.

Yahtzee will be probably playing the xbox 360 version since he isn't a PC gamer anymore to the point where he doesn't even invest in a PC, having a shitty laptop instead.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
I bought this game recently,and I have loved it, but im in Paris now and im starting to feel the story drag. And I am having a hard time continuing because I have become quite disinterested.

Nov 12, 2010
Babitz said:
I might add that the PC version is also very close in the UI department to what the original used to be. Everybody that played "Deus Ex" will feel right at home with HR.

I think the differences between the PC and console versions are similar to those of the original "Mass Effect". At least that's the idea I got from watching the online videos.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

If HR proves to be this good until the very end, I shall call "better" on it.
I feel the same way, most of the things cut from the original were annoyances to me anyway. I didn't particularly care for having to skill for weapons, and even with a modest skill in pistols aiming took forever. Boss sequences didn't really bother me, even as a stealth character. Kind of a pain but not unbearable.

The things I thought made the original great were the multiple ways to deal with obstacles, and the extra bits of story strewn about. HR kept both of those things, and might well have added more story. I much, much prefer how the augs were handled in HR over the original as well. I could've dealt with still needing a clinic or something for installs, but having to find an aug can for each specific slot and having to choose A or B wasn't so great. Just using the point system gave you a bit more customization.

Plus they at least made an effort to get appropriate voice actors, instead of having what sounded like Australians trying to force a Chinese accent.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I forgot said:
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Aye, mate, should give it a try first and then judge it to be "an overrated piece of shit". Overrated, perhaps. Piece of shit, far from it. "Deus Ex" in a nutshell is a canvas for a creative player to play how he or she likes. There are numerous approaches to a problem, every one being equal and the player is the jury and executioner in every single case.

If you hate the games that force you to accomplish all the tasks in one and only way you will like "Deus Ex", because there aren't many games like it.

That however is not its only strength. A fantastic atmosphere, interesting dialogues, kick-ass soundtrack, very flexible RPG system. Dude, what more can you ask for from a game?
I haven't judged it yet but I'm afraid that that's what I will say because all the praise for this game is in fantastic atmosphere (I don't play games for atmosphere), dailogue (don't care), soundtrack (I like music but there's more to games than that), RPG system (um,so?) and numerous approaches to solving a problem (are any of them fun?). So yeah, there is more I can ask from a game.

tikalal

Dec 17, 2009
I really really liked Human Revolution until the last level where the story just fell apart. It's like they ran out of time or something.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
I forgot said:
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Aye, mate, should give it a try first and then judge it to be "an overrated piece of shit". Overrated, perhaps. Piece of shit, far from it. "Deus Ex" in a nutshell is a canvas for a creative player to play how he or she likes. There are numerous approaches to a problem, every one being equal and the player is the jury and executioner in every single case.

If you hate the games that force you to accomplish all the tasks in one and only way you will like "Deus Ex", because there aren't many games like it.

That however is not its only strength. A fantastic atmosphere, interesting dialogues, kick-ass soundtrack, very flexible RPG system. Dude, what more can you ask for from a game?
I haven't judged it yet but I'm afraid that that's what I will say because all the praise for this game is in fantastic atmosphere (I don't play games for atmosphere), dailogue (don't care), soundtrack (I like music but there's more to games than that), RPG system (um,so?) and numerous approaches to solving a problem (are any of them fun?). So yeah, there is more I can ask from a game.
I was telling you about the objective qualities of a game. Something being fun or otherwise is entirely subjective. A game could be brilliant objectively, yet you can still be a dick by resorting to "it's just not fun" argument. I guess with your degree of prejudice even a "Häagen-Dazs" ice-cream wouldn't be good, simply because it's considered to be delicious by the majority.

"Universally praised" doesn't automatically mean "overrated" and "overrated" doesn't automatically mean "bad". It this reply of yours you haven't told me anything new, really.

All I have to say is this: play the game first. Right now you're making assumptions out of a thin air. You're not alone, however, since humanity is famous for doing this.

InterAirplay said:
I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

If HR proves to be this good until the very end, I shall call "better" on it.
I'm going to parrot this, although I'm rating it slightly lower - the game lacked a bit of crucial atmosphere and was a little too content to railroad the player.

Also, the ending was shit.
I haven't gone through all of it yet, so I can't say for sure. I'll see if the ending is as bad as you say it is. The original's ending (Helios ending, the only true ending, dammit) was brilliant, one of a few things that made the story less of a cheese.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I forgot said:
I forgot said:

I was telling you about the objective qualities of a game. Something being fun or otherwise is entirely subjective. A game could be brilliant objectively, yet you can still be a dick by resorting to "it's just not fun" argument. I guess with your degree of prejudice even a "Häagen-Dazs" ice-cream wouldn't be good, simply because it's considered to be delicious by the majority.

"Universally praised" doesn't automatically mean "overrated" and "overrated" doesn't automatically mean "bad". It this reply of yours you haven't told me anything new, really.

All I have to say is this: play the game first. Right now you're making assumptions out of a thin air. You're not alone, however, since humanity is famous for doing this.
Dude, can you read? I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them). The first thing I said was "I haven't judged it yet" so I'm not prejudiced, I'm just stating what I'm afraid might happen. Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything.
I don't hate on popular games because they're popular but I do get suspicious when all the praise is going to the wrong places as I stated in my first comment.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
...I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them)... Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything...
So did you make assumptions or did you not? Decide on that already, will you.

On one side you are right about those qualities possibly being as subjective as anything else. Yet, simply because there isn't a system of measuring those qualities, doesn't mean they can't be evaluated objectively. In the end it all comes down to definition: "what is good music?", "what is a good story?" and so on. Too bad that those are often too vague.

Well let's just try a relative approach then: those qualities in "Deus Ex" are way above your average run of the mill game, simply due to the fact of a lot more effort put into them in "Deus Ex" (an undoubtedly objective quality). There you go: problem solved.

As for your statement of those not amounting to making a game worth anything. Enlighten us then: what does make a game worth anything? Because contrary to your statement you didn't state a single reason for particularly that.

Before you point me to your original post: no, that is not a definition of a good game either -

I forgot said:
All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Besides, "Deus Ex" does have complexity of design, so there you go. Whether it has any challenge... I personally think HR is more challenging on the hardest difficulty. Then again the original is not a walk in the park either on the same difficulty level, unless you're fully upgraded. I am almost fully upgraded in HR and it's still quite challenging.

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
I really enjoyed DEHR, it not as great as DE1 but better than DEIW.
And if i look back at the past few years this is the first good fps which got released in a long time. To me it is better than bioshock (bioshock is a great game but once the penny dropped ie this game is SS2 only underwater, the main twist in both games being exactly the same).

I am no fan of cover based shooting, but since stealth plays a big role in DEHR is works, you die quickly if not in cover and when shot to a few HP you will not have regenerated all health before the enemies come around the corner.

Compared to DE1 they combines the skills and augs into just augs, but they gave us enough choice to make it interesting. (unlike Mass effect 2)

The story was fun and intriguing, not as epic as DE1 but i have stopped expecting that level of excellence from games, they dont make epic games like that anymore, and its a shame. DEHR however did remind me a lot of DE1 i loved it and am on my 3rd playthrough now.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Does Yahtzee write anything in the forum except "Watch Some shity game review or youll make me cry " ?

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
6unn3r said:
Me thinks Yahtzee will be slightly disapotined with HR's health system.
To be fair, the original Deus Ex had health regen, it was just an augmentation. I guess Sarif had the foresight to think "Hey, Jensen might need this..."

demouse

Nov 23, 2009
I would love to see Deus Ex: HR reviewed back-to-back with EyE: Divine Cybermancy just for the comparison.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I really loved Deus Ex: HR exept for the boss battles and the forced stealth aspect of the game, but it is quite an awesome game.