Zero Punctuation: Dishonored

MrDrProf

Sep 21, 2011
ya know as I played through the game I kept having the nagging feeling that I wasn't having as much fun as I should have, and it took me a bit to figure out why. It was the stupid "moral choice" thing that kept the nagging feeling that I shouldn't kill all those guards, because the game would resent me for it. that and the fact that I'm a completionist and have to find everything I can find so I spend more time faffing about looking for coins than actually killing/not killing people. but having to find the combinations to safes was kinda fun

Paranoah

Oct 23, 2012
The only silent protagonist i could connect to was freeman on the other hand i think its good that you can decide whoever you want to be i would have prefered talk options to be a dick though

Feb 22, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
In Search of Username said:
You were expecting personality in a game published by Bethesda? Come on, now.
I do have to say that I agree and am being quite verbose in doing so to avoid another terrifying run-in with the mods. Albeit, Fallout 3 and NV at least had one or two characters I could kind of remember...if I concentrate very hard...okay, I give up, the only one I can think of is Moira Brown, and that's one out of how many characters populating two separate wastelands?
Bethesda and Bioware/Obsidian/both of the aforementioned should team up sometime...
I'd say the setting in Fallout kind of had personality, but not the characters. The only Bethesda games I've really enjoyed, anyway.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I agree with the silent protagonist thing, but it's INCREDIBLY satisfying to go up to a heavily fortified area and reprogram one of their giant rocket turrets to attack the guards and just watch. Dear jebus was that fun.

Plus I got to act like Corvo was Dr. Doom.

demented

Oct 15, 2012
I don't mind a moral choice system in a game, but when it offers you two paths and then scolds you for taking one, it becomes a problem. I hate when games force their morality on me.

Red Dead Redemption is one of the biggest offenders of this. It gave me a choice and I chose to be a dick. It then punished me for the rest of the game because of my decision.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I tend to assume that the protagonist's dialogue is always implied when you have a silent protagonist with dialogue options. IE, your "silent" protagonist does actually speak when you select a dialogue option, you just don't hear it because it'd be redundant. So instead you just hear the NPC's reaction to it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I actually commented on the whole silent protagonist thing on my own Let's Play. As much as I'm enjoying the game otherwise, that whole part felt absolutely contrived-

-the loyal bodyguard, well-known to many, immediately believed to be a traitor by almost everyone? Magic isn't an unknown thing in this setting; the idea of teleporting assassins might seem implausible, but people would believe Corvo somehow murdered the Empress and spirited her daughter away within the space of a minute and yet let himself be caught? Come on.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Lykosia said:
C117 said:
And unlike Yahtzee, I strived for the no-kill achievment from beginning to end, and almost thought I made it. I never killed anyone on the missions, I disposed of all my targets nonlethaly, and I even shot that duelist guy with a sleep dart in the noggin'. But when I finished, I didn't get the achievment.

And then it hit me. I had killed two individuals. In fact, it was the first two individuals I encountered in the whole game. It was in the tutorial, and the game basically said "waste their asses".

I felt pretty drained after that...
Those guys don't count. I got the clean hands achievement easily.
Key thing is not to help Granny nor Slackjaw in the sewers. Just steal the key and run. If you help either one, you end up killing the other.
You mean... it counts as a kill even if you choke her, and even if you get the "no enemies killed" award at the same time?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got to see a youtube review of Thief II.

Dishonored looks a lot better. I think Yahtzee is having a nostalgia kaniption. To hear someone gloat, "in thief 2, you can break into a house!"... may have been very original back then, but looks old hat now.

Even after his review, I want this game. And unlike usual... I'll play the bad guy!

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Well fuck. If anyone asks my opinion of this game now, they'll think I'm just repeating what Yahtzee said :\

It's like Thief mixed with Bioshock and it ends up being... "ehhh... okay". Very disappointed overall. Thief was engaging because every guard encounter was a sneaking puzzle. This game just didn't seem to grasp that.

It's too easy, there's no tension, it's WAY too easy to get rich and you don't need most of the gadgets anyway.

I didn't feel like the shadows hid me at all, either. In Thief, you could feel relatively safe in shadows... but in this, you may as well have been standing in plain sight for all the good they do. Some of the levels are in broad daylight, too! I mean, come on! Of course, it doesn't help that the guards have almost no peripheral vision anyway...

And the context-sensitive controls don't always work. I can't tell you how many times I tried to choke out a guard only to block because I shifted slightly and the context HUD display disappeared!

Anyway, I believe I'm right near the end of the game... but could anyone tell me if I'm going to find out anything more about Dowd (Doud?) or the other teleporting assassins? Just yes or no would do. No spoilers, please!

Gorfias said:
Dishonored looks a lot better. I think Yahtzee is having a nostalgia kaniption. To hear someone gloat, "in thief 2, you can break into a house!"... may have been very original back then, but looks old hat now.
He's not having a nostalgia conniption. The Thief games are really that good. And it's not about breaking into houses. That's not what makes Thief great. Play it... you'll understand. There haven't been any other games like it. But don't bother with Deadly Shadows. It wasn't made by the same team... and it suffers for it.

If anything, Thief gets newer over time. As games get less and less like it, it becomes more original.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Personally I'm just sick of silent protagonists. It's not a matter of immersion because people do not react the same way to a silent protagonist as they do to a talking one, and personally I find it much harder to associate with a nontalking protagonist than a talking one as I enjoy talking to people. Generally not talking and just ignoring people like they do in games when you don't speak would be counterproductive as well.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
The thing with Dishonored is you can use the Heart tool and point it at guards and hear more about their personal lives.

"That one rescued a dog and feeds her every night"
Ok, blade stayed

"He betrays his friends to the watch and spies on them"
Ok, i'm tranquilizing him and leaving his corpse for the rats

knox140

Oct 14, 2012
Just bought the game.. excited to play it, it looks awesome, and I'd be happy to pay for DLC to make up for the length if the game is good enough. What's everyone else's views on it?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
IT HAS A MORALITY SYSTEM?!
Did not know this...

Also, im seriously coincidering buying Mogworlds audio book, having Yahtzee drone into my ears for 10+ hours seems enjoyable to me... for some twisted reason.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I simply need to ask
Was Thief2 THAT good?
Because it seems that Yahtzee can't shut up about it
So after 1 year of listening I feel interest for Thief2 imprinted into my brain
Who knows another year or two and maybe I will consider playing Silent Hill 2

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I don't think the protagonist needed to be voiced, but having general dialogue options would have been nice,
Seemed strange going around and clicking on people, to have them talk 'at' you, rather than an actual conversation.

I can understand the game trying to dissuade you against the mass murder of its civilian and the 'only doing my job' guards population,
but apparently slaying the homicidal zombies, psychopathic zealots and ninja hitmen increases the cities chaos? seems like it would do the opposite XD

Despite that however I found the game to be very good.
Took me nearly 22 hours to complete, by which time I'd had enough.
The ending level felt rushed / forced, but by then I was rushing to finish it, so didn't mind.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
yeah silent protagonists are starting to annoy me, but so are the irritating voiced ones too so it's something devs should focus on getting right (characterization in general with the story)

since everyone is pointing out how short it is I'll Redbox it and check it out that way lol

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah, I found the choice to use a silent protagonist rather bizarre as well, it's one of the few gripes I have with the game, together with the very weak story. But then I don't get the concept in general, apart from those cases when you have too much dialogue and too little dosh to have it voiced.