Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Mirroga said:
What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?
In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The most original standard fantasy game I played was Myth whose standard affair was only humans and dwarves with the latter NOT being axe users but rather medieval pyrotechnics, not combat.

As for the contest I got bored with the winner since like all internet based games they can't hold their own beyond a minute or two... meh, at least someone actually did something.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I played the shout into headphone game. I just blasted my music, did the trick.. but i was unsure how iw as suppos eto win..

OT: Great review, i think il be getting DA:O at xmas =]

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Great review, i'm surprised, i thought you would feel the same about it as you did mass effect. The first runner up (the imp one) was far better

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
i think im doing it wrong

i got 15 hours in on this game, im half way through the book

and i still have a girlfriend

>.>

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Jannycats said:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?
He didn't say that it was too long, he just said that he hadn't reached the ending.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Good review

Don't care for the game, though

And hell, what is with these "FURST DURR HURR!!!1!" retards? Seriously, are you THAT inescapably lonely and unhappy?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I'm glad that the cosmos was aligned properly so the space radiation allowed Yahtzee to review Dragon Age. He hit a variety of points about the game for better or worse and I have to say I don't disagree with him on any particular one. It's pretty interchangeable with other BioWare games but that said, BioWare's a highly decent developer and I, too, am still enjoying the story despite being 20+ hours into the game.

Ixal said:
Mirroga said:
What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?
In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.
The ability to get the overhead view coupled with the indomitable keyboard/mouse interface makes me very, very glad I shelled out the extra cash for the PC version.

Oh, wait, the PC version is actually $10 cheaper in the US.

Suckers.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Fantasy/Adventure games are my area of enjoyment so when I can afford an XBOX 360, I will give Dragon Age Origins a try. Kudos sir for another excellent review. Any game that can make you prefer it to sleep means your either a perfectionist or the game is preferable to five more minutes of sleep.

I look forward to more work from you.

Dr. Stupid

Nov 18, 2009
Even having played for 25 hours, he still managed one of his best reviews yet, where he makes a lot of fun of the game and a little of himself for liking it so much. Agree with everything, from the Bible-like adherence to Tolkien's version of fantasy to Bioware's crazy idea that players are going to read their in-game fantasy phone books.

Even so, I haven't started ACII yet because I keep wanting to do another 5 minutes to resolve just one more DA:O plot line.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
With all the criticism, I thought he might somehow not like the game, but it turns out even Yahtzee can't completely dismiss this game on standard RPG cliche alone.

ManStapler

Jul 13, 2009
Unphakin believable, I liked the game due to the dialog choices cause you could most likely either kill stuff or make them give you all their stuff and then kill it. Also making deals with all kinds of demons even tho they tell you not to. AND no stupid 'moral' choices, or a moral system at all, be either bad or good no one cares. Weeeeeeee!

Dissapointing! I wish for a Borderlands review :<

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Blackadder51 said:
hamster mk 4 said:
In my defense, the tower defense genera is less saturated than the platform jumper genera, and mine was the only tower defense style game entered in the contest. I briefly considered doing a platform jumper as well, but I figured every one else would make platform jumpers and I was right.
If your the guy that made the defense game can i ask a question?

(well i am anyway)

What decided to do the weird resource thing, and to make your guys fade out after a while and was the boss level the last one?

BTW i liked you game better then the guy that got 1st
I have responded to your questions here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.155870#3839919

Thank you for your kind words.