Zero Punctuation: FIFA 13

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MrFalconfly said:
Yopaz said:
snip (quotes getting a bit longwinded)
But then comes the questions of roster updates, hardware progression, new jerseys, new programming, more realistic physics, better controls, new features (like the new defensive gameplay in FIFA 2013).

Personally I think when it comes to sports games (be they football, motorsports, olympics or whatever) that sort of changes over the ages would warrant a new iteration of the game (a Le Mans 2012 or a FIFA 2013).
You would have had a point with this if hardware updates actually happened. Fifa 13 is going to be released for Wii U and that will be the first hardware update since the release of Playstation 3 to actually matter when it comes to Fifa (PC versions have been terrible ports).

New jerseys aren't as normal as you'd think.

20 year and there's only been minor changes in appearance. The colours are iconic and doesn't change from year to year.

There are changes in players on the teams, I mentioned that in my first post so I am aware of that. I just consider that a minor change because it doesn't affect how the game plays. Most of the time you can't see all the faces clearly anyway.

I did not know about the additional gameplay mode, I guess there is a small change then. Now it seems like you did not read any of my posts properly since you missed the point of all of them. I asked out of curiosity not because I wanted to rip on sports games. I wanted to know why every football game is as different (or as much alike) as every shooter game.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Yopaz said:
MrFalconfly said:
Yopaz said:
snip (quotes getting a bit longwinded)
But then comes the questions of roster updates, hardware progression, new jerseys, new programming, more realistic physics, better controls, new features (like the new defensive gameplay in FIFA 2013).

Personally I think when it comes to sports games (be they football, motorsports, olympics or whatever) that sort of changes over the ages would warrant a new iteration of the game (a Le Mans 2012 or a FIFA 2013).
You would have had a point with this if hardware updates actually happened. Fifa 13 is going to be released for Wii U and that will be the first hardware update since the release of Playstation 3 to actually matter when it comes to Fifa (PC versions have been terrible ports).

New jerseys aren't as normal as you'd think.

20 year and there's only been minor changes in appearance. The colours are iconic and doesn't change from year to year.

There are changes in players on the teams, I mentioned that in my first post so I am aware of that. I just consider that a minor change because it doesn't affect how the game plays. Most of the time you can't see all the faces clearly anyway.

I did not know about the additional gameplay mode, I guess there is a small change then. Now it seems like you did not read any of my posts properly since you missed the point of all of them. I asked out of curiosity not because I wanted to rip on sports games. I wanted to know why every football game is as different (or as much alike) as every shooter game.
I'm sorry.

I might have misunderstood something (being tired and writing in your second language doesn't always translate well)

I guess when it comes to this we're only slightly disagreeing on small nuances (like say small markings or sponsors constituting it being a new jersey).

Well nice talking to you.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So that explains the image on the Escapist's home page: Yahtzee with a tiger head. Brilliant stuff! Those fake outs to digressing about other indie games really got me!
erttheking said:
That was confusing but fucking hilarious. So, taking bets here, is it going to be Dishonored or XCOM next week?
I'm kind of hoping he'll rip into XCOM, like what he did to Syndicate.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
That was pretty damn funny. Love the meta-humor going on right before the end.

I must say, there needs to be more schizophrenic reviews on the internet. certainly would make most of them a lot more purposeful. ZING!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DugMachine said:
If it's not Dishonored next week I'm going to be shocked. It seems right up his alley
Then again, I think he will do Dishonored because they advertise all over the Escapist, so he might see that as a chellenge. Remember EVE Online?

Azeal

Sep 19, 2012
I was pretty disappoint @ no Torchlight 2 this week. I know Yahtzee's not huge on arpg's, but I played it alone, and it doesn't force the whole multiplayer thing down their throat.

Maybe after Dishonored..... which looks awesome....

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I was sad when I saw the link to FIFA 13. But then happy again after I clicked it anyway. Good show.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I was hesitant to click this one, the power of my complete and utter disinterest in sports games competing with my love of yahtzee reviews. Thankfully he made it tolerable but still a little too much talk about generic ball poking simulator 13 imo.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Before clicking play: "Really, a FIFA game? Maybe he's on one of those "try something new" kicks again. Weird."

After: "HA!"

Best review in awhile, easily. You seemed to have had more fun with this one than with some of the other recent videos, Yahtzee. Glad to see you pepped up again.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Yopaz said:
Since you are so wise here, can you explain me what changes there are in Fifa 13 compared to Fifa 12? Yes, all shooter games contain shooting. However from what I can assume about Fifa 13 is that there's some mild tweaks in graphics and maybe some in gameplay, maybe introduce new players (I know one game introduced long retired players as a tribute). However the rules are the same, there are no new maps since all football fields have to be 68x105 meters.

It's popular just like Call of Duty, but just like Call of Duty there's hardly any changes. At least Call of Duty offers a new story with the game.

I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just curious because as I see it Fifa 13 is little more than a game where you play football.
To start with, I was being a little facetious when comparing it to shooters or RTS' games, but I was just trying to make a point.

Anyway, although the rules of football, and therefore the basics of FIFA, never really change, it's about the underlying mechanics. I'm not going to say that FIFA changes drastically every year, some years very little changes (this was especially true in the mid 00's, around 2004-2007) but other years the changes are huge. For instance, as someone who played a lot of Fifa 11, the jump to 12 was incredible. The game essentially played entirely differently, the physics were completely different, the way you defended had changed. Now massive changes like that didn't come without some bugs and unforseen problems.

Fifa 13 fixes a lot of the problems that 12 had, then fine tuned a lot of aspects on the gameplay, and made some additions of its own, better attacking AI, a more realistic physics engine that makes a real difference to how the game plays. If you're someone who never plays football games you probably wouldn't realise how much of a differnece some iterations actually make.

All that said, I always play the demos before buying the full game, because sometimes there really isn't much difference apart from a player update. I won't buy a new Fifa if it doesn't make some actual improvements.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Do us a favor and skip Resident Evil 6 next week, Yahtzee? It's pretty much been pre-emptively written of as shittier than even RE5 (which is not something Capcom should be proud of), so please find a proper shitty game to review, or a kickass one to gush about.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
You poke around in cataclysm but not in mist of pandaria
Don't let the kung-fu panda part fool you, it's the better expansion
Not that Id blame you for never going back to an mmo again
Still since Ive played both, GW2 was probably better than the cataclysm expansion but objectively Wow is still the better game and for more reasons than just 'it's making the most money' and that doesn't happen for no reason

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Well that was unexpected. Still, after the DayZ review I'm not all that surprised. Really good review though. It made me smile a lot.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
I feel like I've heard the "you can either choose to be A or B, and them prompty beat up the losers who chose the latter" line smewhere.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
I have to admit, I was looking forward to seeing how you, of all people, could talk about a sports game for 5 whole minutes, but I'm definitely far from disappointed with the end result. Pure fucking gold as usual.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
Do us a favor and skip Resident Evil 6 next week, Yahtzee? It's pretty much been pre-emptively written of as shittier than even RE5 (which is not something Capcom should be proud of), so please find a proper shitty game to review, or a kickass one to gush about.
Agree with this. I played the demo and it was so broken that I literally couldn't play it all the way through.