Zero Punctuation: Hard Reset

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
coldalarm said:
And your point? Mods do not a good game make. If a game requires 3rd Party mods to be fun, then the game is doing something wrong.
I kind of agree with what your saying, but in other cases I think a mod could help improve the life-span, and even the sales of a game. DLC are technically 'mods' for that game to improve the lifespan, but they just have a price-tag associated with them. I didn't care too much for Oblivion when it came out, but a mod got me interested in purchasing that earlier this year. The mod was okay, but it gave me a chance to play Oblivion more to find it a pretty decent game (still no Morrowind, but still a good game).

Nov 12, 2010
"Hard Reset" is a disgraceful game, a piece of caramelized shit wrapped into a packaging made of broken nostalgia. Honestly, the only game that was worse this year is S.P.A.Z., which was a "we were wondering why nobody made games like these anymore so we made our own" piece of crap game (It's our first game! Come on! Like it!).

The problem with HR is that it only pretends to be old-school. Sure it has waves of enemies, a non-regenerating health and secrets scattered around... but it also has an idiotic upgrade system, because every game must have one nowadays, it's probably written in the constitution somewhere. An upgrade system that rewards you if you scout every little corner in search of N.A.N.O., which breaks the flow of the game. An upgrade system that punishes you for making wrong choices like HUD upgrades and not taking the Plasma Mortar upgrades (the only decent starter weapon). It has regenerative shields as well... "Halo" style, because as we all know that game was a pants load of jolly good fun.

HR is the only meaty shooter that has nor blood nor meat in it... Wait, what? (excuse me for using such an outdated cliche). It also features a story that had been slapped on at the last minute, a story that makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, did I mention bad controls? It has that too. Strafing is as slow as a turtle and jumping is as low as maybe twenty centimeters, all of which makes dodging immensely hard and even impossible in the heat of battle, oftentimes too because there is simply no room for dodging. Exploding environment (barrels especially) everywhere that kill you more often than your enemies... And the sprint... the sprint, the sprint that makes you feel as if though you're approaching the speed of light since it can apparently twist the space-time around you, the sprint that always takes too long to activate, the sprint that makes the confusing graphics even more confusing due to the overuse of filters...

I give up, this game is a steaming piece of junk. Games like these make me feel ashamed of being a gamer and a game programmer / game dev to be.

P.S.: Oh, yeah, who's bright idea was it to make two weapons going for five each and NOT JUST MAKE ONE WEAPON GOING FOR TEN!?! Freakin' morons.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
That watermark is actually really, really distracting.

Shame Hard Reset didn't have more funding, though I'm not a big fan of the visual style.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Voltano said:
I kind of agree with what your saying, but in other cases I think a mod could help improve the life-span, and even the sales of a game. DLC are technically 'mods' for that game to improve the lifespan, but they just have a price-tag associated with them. I didn't care too much for Oblivion when it came out, but a mod got me interested in purchasing that earlier this year. The mod was okay, but it gave me a chance to play Oblivion more to find it a pretty decent game (still no Morrowind, but still a good game).
I'm not denying mods can improve a game (DLC is often an official mod, but as it's rarely counted into a game's review we can ignore it just the same), but if a game sucks without mods then it sucks, and counting mods into the review stops it being an accurate portrayal of what that game is.

If it was, say, a GotY/Complete edition being reviewed, DLC would count into it. An example would be DA:O's Ultimate Edition, and a reviewer could mention that the Feastday items completely destroy the reputation system with your companions.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Holy shit! The toaster got loose from Big Empty and killed Yatzhee!

OT:Quake 4 was the last good pure shooter.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
poiumty said:
I liked Space Marine because it was just so camp and ridiculous
You found Space Marine camp? That's genuinely interesting, could you explain in what way you found it effeminate please?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I don't know about you but I prefer destroying robots over humans or living creatures. Usually they just fall apart into chunky pieces of meat which I don't enjoy seeing but robots. They explode like little firecrackers. Boom boom explosion fireworks! But then again my foray into games with guns has been ratchet and clank and the star wars battlefront series.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
ultrapowerpie said:
I have a question: Who on earth is that face that Yhatzee keeps uusing over and over again in all his reviews? Like in this one, when he mentions Shooter Season 2011, he has the guy with a bandana on. I'm just curious who this person is.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.171278-Whos-that-guy-on-ZP

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Another entertaining video Mr.Croshaw.

I bought the game myself knowing what I was going into and I found it quite fun for the few hours that it lasted.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
Mr. Crowshaw, I'll have you know that some of Mr. Harrison's post-Beatle work is wildly celebrated among the community. Granted his decline following the "Living in the Material World" album was a large drop for him and much of his fanbase, I do agree that his work as a whole is better than Mr. Starkey's. However, it should be noted that most of Mr. Starkey's more popular songs are written (or co-written) by Mr. Harrison. To summarize, go listen to All Things Must Pass while playing a shooter and see if it syncs up in anyway. It should provide for a meaningful subtext of the game, as the violence of the game will indeed pass on.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
You know, the comment about "What can you expect for less than $30?" kinda goes out the window when in the past few months have gotten Bastion, Binding of Isaac, and Frozen Synapse, all for less than $30, and every one of them has more replay than most AAA releases this year. Hell, Bastion is a better game in every facet than most AAA releases this year, beaten only by Portal 2, which had less replay until the new patch.

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
therockdemon said:
i was going to get this but now i think i will wait for it to go down in price first
That's your loss. It's a fun game and I enjoyed his review, but if you let a reviewer like Yahtzee, who's reviews are meant to be entertaining, make the decision on what games you should buy, you are really missing out.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I loved the demo but I can't justify this game for $25, under 10 and I'm getting it immediately. Shooting robots is just as much fun as shooting people. The environment is hectic but that is part of the charm, everything is so chaotic.

I did lol about the 2 roombas and a wheelie bin description though.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Jennacide said:
You know, the comment about "What can you expect for less than $30?" kinda goes out the window when in the past few months have gotten Bastion, Binding of Isaac, and Frozen Synapse, all for less than $30, and every one of them has more replay than most AAA releases this year. Hell, Bastion is a better game in every facet than most AAA releases this year, beaten only by Portal 2, which had less replay until the new patch.
I loved the hell out of Bastion and it does beat the crap out of all AAA title that came out this year from a money::fun ratio... but what replay value?

I beat it once. Then I did a new game plus and powered all the way through it with ease. Upgraded all the weapon, got all the drinks/gods, beat all the 'Dream Stages'. Unlocked all the achievements. It's awesome and all, but I don't see much point in playing it again.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Jesus christ, every time I walk into a ZP thread the first poster would always either have a warning or outright shot in the legs!

OT: I'm not too surprised how brutal Yahtzee was to the game, I am surprised that he left us on a positive note.