Zero Punctuation: Hard Reset

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Tarkand said:
I mean there's so much brown there, right?

The game is far from perfect of course (I think the 75 it has on meta-critic is pretty accurate. Add 10 points if you're a fan of the ip), and there's plenty of thing to find to hate about it I'm sure, and Yahtzee sure did hate it... but it feels it's mainly because he hates the IP, which he's allowed of course and Yahtzee has never been known for his objectivity... but still, it's rather odd to see a game get so much right from the Yahtzee's 'What make a good game check list' and still earn his vitriol.
Dude, you play the game?! It's all brown all the time.

Besides, forget about this game is very mediocre overall. Comparing Space marines with Dawn of War series is obvious that SM was made without any attention. All the thing transpire; ?console games are stupid, we from Relic had to do it to not lose your jobs?.
I?m not saying that I don?t like console games but, for space marines, it?s obvious that Relic find them shallow, boring and stupid. After having played SM I just wanna forget about it and wait for Dawn of War 3.

joschen

Jun 15, 2009
This game was just a big pile of shit. Having a low budget is no excuse, if your founding is sparse then you will simply have to prioritize.

There are a lot of flash games out there whose graphics are way less sophisticated than those of HR, and yet somehow manages to be far more interesting and engaging.

"Give them graphics; Bitches love graphics" ~ Unknown HR dev.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"I gave your mum a Hard Reset last night and it certainly rebooted her operating system, if you know what I mean." -Yahtzee

No, I... I don't. Could someone walk me through that?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
poiumty said:
The gameplay is slow-paced and console-like, the controls feel bulky and awkward, weapons take relatively long to switch, there's a sprint button that takes away everything except forward movement, and most encounters are in cramped spaces.

This is NOT Painkiller. Not by a long shot.
Sounds pretty much like the impression I got from watching those gameplay videos. I'm surprised that Yahtzee still basically gave out a recommendation, though. Did you play it through to the end? Does it perhaps pick up after the initial slowness?

dicox

Oct 8, 2011
Hmm... I'm having fun with Hard Reset.

I'm playing it on Insane difficulty and, holy shit, it really is difficult. And frustrating. Sometimes, that's exactly what I want. A game that makes me curse at my monitors like a mad drunken sailor because there is no chance I ever beat that level without playing by a perfect 'choreography' devised through hundreds attempts, all ending in "resume last checkpont".

And I quite like the modular weapon system! I think it's very kind to let me choose whether to play with a shotgun or a grenade launcher or one of the fancy electric thingies (which I haven't purchased yet). Also the special upgrades on the weapons are really nice.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Dumb_Joe said:
"Well then PISS OFF! This is shooter season 2011" Holy Crackers I laughed so hard.
I knew something fishy was going on when he showed Halo Wars as a beloved RTS.

Also, Klingon Opera!

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I absolutely agree that shooting robots is not nearly as fun as shooting something that bleeds. Robots don't satisfy inner bestial nature of humans, myself included.
This game is a strict no-buy for me, thankfully I have Serious Sam 3 pre-ordered. All these juicy, gooey Gnaars and beheaded soldiers, waiting to be popped like fruit cakes... Can't wait.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
My opinion about this game is a little ambivalent.

It's a frantic enough shooter, lacks some polish and some balancing, but then again: it's okay.

In the end a forgettable title, that could serve well in some multiplayer matches I think.

As for the Quake 2 comparison I think he's on to something. It's not as important a game as Quake 2 was (think of the engine, mods and multiplayer), but the story sure is comparable.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
I really liked Bulletstorm and I don't know why everyone gave it such a bad wrap D: (Well, if I remember right, Yahtzee hated it cos he thought it was cover based for some utterly bizzare reason. Games have cover, yeah, but it wasn't Cover Based. An interesting thought considering his jokes about being manly...)

Also, I've got a big bag of crabs here!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Hard Reset

This week, Shooter Season 2011 continues as Zero Punctuation reviews Hard Reset.

Watch Video
:p we already know you don't like Warhammer 40K Space Marine, you said as much in extra punctuation a week or so ago, so a actual review would be redundant.

anyway, if it wasn't a FPS I'd try it, but, it is so i won't.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Draconalis said:
Well... it makes sense that humans relate to humans more than unfeeling refrigerators...

And robots don't bleed near as much...
I don't know, I've met some refrigerators with more personality than some humans I know!