Zero Punctuation: Hard Reset

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
That's one of the best things about Zero Punctuation - you never know what is coming next, in spite of top name games beign released, we'll get something independent that most of us have never heard of. Great!

Well, at least you admitted that you were nitpicking. I'm going to myself, as a curveball is something out of Baseball, not basketball, Yahtzee. Perhaps you should review one of the sports titles next year... or better yet, NHL '12, as that's a combination of violent games and sport, so you should feel right at home ;)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Personally shooter season 2011 is going alright for me, Gears of War 3 was damn awesome, I'm looking forward to Halo Anniversary, and I'll probably play MW3 if I can tear my brother away from the Xbox for three seconds. I just wish that I could make up my fracking mind if I should buy Rage and Space Marine already, I just cannot make a decision.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I agree that the levels and enemies did get rather repetitive and weren't that diverse at all. There were basically three different versions of the small guys, 2-3 (maybe, they seemed different) versions of the charging guys. Then, sometimes, guys that had mortars, guns, or the heavy artillery guys.

But, this game seemed to be more of a disappointment to me. The demo was fun, and the game was decent, but it got progressively more boring the more I played it. I was expecting something a lot better.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
The best part was when Painkiller showed up with a gun that had tits and was on fire.
I've been waiting for that brick joke to fall for a long time, and it was good.
But he was wrong, shurikens and lightning was still more awesome.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I really don't get his complete lack of interest in space marine, and I read his article on 40k too. For one thing the game isn't a non-stop brown fest, their are no chest high walls and it has a very easy to enjoy story where you can also be laughing at the silly absurdness of it all, as I always have with 40k. Its not a game about macho idiots killing aliens. Its a game about arrogant posh people covered in rubbish bins fighting a living fungus that eventually have to deal with a guy who is like skeletor meets megatron.

Also the game is much more of a hack n slash with occasional jet pack sequences than a shooter.

Oh well I really liked Hard Reset too so ehhh whatever.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Tarkand said:
CrossLOPER said:
CM156 said:
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:
I was under the distinct impression that the space marines in 'Space Marine' were blue, not brown :p
I was also under the imperssion that they were blue too. So wrong i have been.
Actually, from what I understand, they're not ALL blue. Just a good number of them. But I never really got into 40K.
Yes, but the point is that they were blue in the game, not brown.
Further point is also that Yahtzee isn't immune to pre-fabricated opinion.

He hates game with built in cover/chest high wall - Space Marines didn't have that.
And the game fails due to that because for one you have to wait for your shields to regenarate, which gets annoying since if you run up to an enemy to stun then kill them for health you'll get killed for not having enough health. Especially the last wave.....

Tarkand said:
He hates regenerative health - Space Marines didn't have that.
You have shields though and the health system while at first very entertaining and fun later on through all the endless waves of samey guys in the same industrial hell environment (aside from the Desert part which was still boring as fuck) only serves to annoy.

Tarkand said:
He hates game with bland character design - Every single character in SM is immediatly recognizable for what it's supposed to be because of design and color choices.
He like to run & gun - Space Marines allows this approach, not only that, it favors a mix of close combat and shooting as the only way to stay alive.
Yes, but there tend to be few set pieces to break it up and they're mostly annoying, the jump pack though was satisfying and it's probably the best thing the game has came up with.

Tarkand said:
He hates brown shooter - Ultramarine are blue, ork are green, the chaos marine were purple, the daemons are red... Many stages had tons of colors and different hues going on.
No the stages look all the same.

Tarkand said:
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/warplq.jpg/]
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/spacemarineo.jpg/]

I mean there's so much brown there, right?
That's the final level.....

Tarkand said:
The game is far from perfect of course (I think the 75 it has on meta-critic is pretty accurate. Add 10 points if you're a fan of the ip), and there's plenty of thing to find to hate about it I'm sure, and Yahtzee sure did hate it... but it feels it's mainly because he hates the IP, which he's allowed of course and Yahtzee has never been known for his objectivity... but still, it's rather odd to see a game get so much right from the Yahtzee's 'What make a good game check list' and still earn his vitriol.
No, I loved the demo and I worried a little that the final product would be repetitive, and that's what it was. I was excited at first when I heard we would get to pilot an Imperator titan but you don't, you just go to checkpoint 13457205874 and place the power device which just powers the cannon. Sure I guess it shows the vast size of the thing but it's not very interesting and is rather lame. I kept trying to like hoping eventually to get some satisfying set pieces but no the majority of the game is just gun down the guys with the big guns by jumping out of cover then jumping back or hope the close combat guys get in so you can kill them first, or better yet bottleneck them by standing behind cover. Running out in the open and going straight into close combat is suicide. The set pieces I remember were Valkyrie defense, that Ork ship which you fight with the Plasma cannon and the final boss, the final boss felt pretty fun but since the button signals were at the bottom I barely got a glimpse of the awesome action sequence going on before me and it felt rather lack luster, the last wave was so much more difficult than the actual boss and it felt like the boss should've had more than one stage, perhaps once he hits the ground you could've fought him on foot or something, then he finally gets into Daemon Prince form and you get a special thunder hammer to fight him and kill him.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
coldalarm said:
I'm not denying mods can improve a game (DLC is often an official mod, but as it's rarely counted into a game's review we can ignore it just the same), but if a game sucks without mods then it sucks, and counting mods into the review stops it being an accurate portrayal of what that game is.
A game that "sucks" is often a personal view on a game. For example, the Escapist and I'm sure lots of people here could state "Witcher 2" was awesome (never played it, or had the chance with the first one), but Yahtzee here found them both boring. "What's one man's garbage is another man's treasure", in a nut-shell.

My point is that while reviews tend to give a biased view on a game, they don't serve well with giving details on any possible mods that might make the game interesting, or may criticize the game over features that another person/group likes (Witcher 2). Yahtzee did a review on Minecraft months ago, yet now it has had a few patches and mods released to make it completely different from the game when Yahtzee reviewed it. Plus, based upon what others are saying in this thread, the developers did release a patch for "Hard Reset" that allows you to flip between the two guns.

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
Funniest one in recent memory. Giving serious consideration to the artsy serial killer for my new avatar.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Yup, guess it just goes to show you: Indies got all the awesome ideas but always strapped for cash to get them out the door, while Big Industry got all the money of the world coming out their collective sweaty arse but is too retarded to do much other than pump out more shit.

Gaming Industry, everybody! -sigh-

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
The demo told me that they didn't call it Hard Reset for nothing. I'll skip it. Shame, I did like the modifiable guns. Electric mortar highly recommended early.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the game is fun. i played it already twice. but i do agree that the loading times are really long that you are forced to watch the damn cutscene and that the slow menu is a little pain in the ass. and yes, the story really just ends and is unclear what was going on there. but hell, the game as such is really fun, just shooting things up is enjoyable.
after all you can discover secrets and you have tones of enemies coming towards you.
i also dint had any probs switching between the weapons. it was pretty easy for me at least and the upgrading works fine too. once you finish the game, you can play the entire game with the same upgrades which makes the game even more enjoyable.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I was so glad he threw in the tits-and-was-on-fire bit! Of course, it could only be more awesome if it fired shurikens and lightning.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
This might be the weakest review you've ever done, Yahtzee. If you jump the shark, so help me, I will find you and yell nasty things at you for depriving me of further entertainment.