Zero Punctuation: Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo Holding Pattern?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
In case it's not clear from my badges, I am a Zelda fan. However, this review confirmed a suspicion of mine about this game: The mass of enemies aren't really a threat and are mainly waiting to get mowed down. That seems boring and tedious. So yeah, if I ever decide to get a Wii U, it won't be for this game.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Necris Omega said:
V4Viewtiful said:
CelestDaer said:
V4Viewtiful said:
I won't be a satisfied Zelda Fan till we get a HD remake of Majora's Mask. :mad:
You'll probably find that in the trash bin right next to SquareEnix's (can't believe I had to go back and edit that...) remake of FF7...
If the crappy FFX can get a HD remake, there's hope. Dammit!

Mmm... give me Majora's Mask wrapped in Twilight Princess+ level graphics with the smooth buttery combat system of Wind Waker and I'll be contented forever more. Only thing better would be if they did an extended cut or the like.
hell, a direct sequel would be cool, he never did reunite with Navi.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
marioandsonic said:
AndreiCC said:
Oh my, Yahtzee, you gonna take some flak from MovieBob for this attack on Nintendo. What next, you gonna say Marvel movies are also just interchangeable tripe?
Well, Yahtzee has already stated that he hates Joss Whedon, so...
When did he say that? Was it here or on his youtube stuff?

OT: Yeah not too surprising, I don't think anyone coming at it from a purely critical point of view would enjoy this game. It's meant to be a popcorn turn your brain off type thing, with a bit of "so bad its good" appeal in the story by the sounds of it.

Some people do that with games, some don't whatever works.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
"So why is it still called a Triforce when there's only one of them?"

There... isn't? I mean, it's made up of three triangles with differently vague powers. So, three forces: Triforce.

What's a little more confusing is the fact that the constituent parts are each also called "Triforces", but maybe that' because they're triangles, or something.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Never enjoyed these kinds of games.

Also, high-five Yahtzee! Windwaker is my favourite Zelda game too.

ChaoshadowZero

Nov 11, 2009
I'm a Zelda fan but for some reason, being insulted just doesn't bother me when it's from Yahtzee :p
I call Hyrule Warriors a Marmite game; meaning either you love it or you hate it, I'm on the love side

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Watching LoZ fans come to a Zero Punctuation video on LoZ, rolling around on the floor whining is like somebody complaining that their third degree burns hurt after they rolled around in gasoline before having a cigarette.

He's not going to suck Zelda's penis for you, get over it, find somebody that does.

Meanwhile I'll wolf it down like sweet strawberry jam... Mmmm, it satisfys the jaded little pigmy that has grown to hate rainbows, kittens and Nintendo.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Boy, I sure can't wait for the comment section-based EP next week. Boy! That'll be fun.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Enlong said:
MrHide-Patten said:
Watching LoZ fans come to a Zero Punctuation video on LoZ, rolling around on the floor whining is like somebody complaining that their third degree burns hurt after they rolled around in gasoline before having a cigarette.

He's not going to suck Zelda's penis for you, get over it, find somebody that does.

Meanwhile I'll wolf it down like sweet strawberry jam... Mmmm, it satisfys the jaded little pigmy that has grown to hate rainbows, kittens and Nintendo.
???
Similes are hard. It's funny seeing people do something which will only make them mad/sad and they keep on doing it, like the Sonic cycle.

New LoZ game comes out, people tell him to critique it, people get mad when he tears it a new deserved asshole, repeat.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
AndreiCC said:
Oh my, Yahtzee, you gonna take some flak from MovieBob for this attack on Nintendo. What next, you gonna say Marvel movies are also just interchangeable tripe?
Aren't they?

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
ChaoshadowZero said:
I'm a Zelda fan but for some reason, being insulted just doesn't bother me when it's from Yahtzee :p
I call Hyrule Warriors a Marmite game; meaning either you love it or you hate it, I'm on the love side
I just can't feel insulted when anyone bashes the franchise. Heck, Skyward Sword is my favorite of the 3D Zeldas, and I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, so in a loved Franchise that's bashed, I like the games that get the most bashing as well. I like all the Zelda games I've played, but I can see why people may not like them, or why certain games may not be liked as much.

It probably doesn't help that there are probably Zelda fans that are really annoying, so people like Yahtzee feel the need to bash on it. If you feel insulted because a person doesn't like something you don't like, either you get insulted easily, or you don't get insulted much.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Inevitably. Yahtzee never struck me as someone who'd like Dynasty Warriors.

At least he waited until the last minute to blanketly insult anyone who liked this game in particular and Nintendo in general. Some of the stuff in the first three minutes was pretty funny.

templar1138a said:
In case it's not clear from my badges, I am a Zelda fan. However, this review confirmed a suspicion of mine about this game: The mass of enemies aren't really a threat and are mainly waiting to get mowed down. That seems boring and tedious. So yeah, if I ever decide to get a Wii U, it won't be for this game.
Like others have said, it's entirely based on how much like/tolerance you have for Dynasty Warriors-style hack'n'slash. Mowing down masses of enemies by yourself as a variety of characters is the definition of the subgenre, and any challenge comes from either being able to do it quickly and creatively enough, or fighting bosses in the midst of the cannon fodder.

Frankly, I loved the game as a Zelda fan, too, but the gameplay is probably the bigger dealbreaker. Sheik is probably the greatest example of the marriage, though. As a DW fan, I loved that her harp attacks take a bunch of different forms (knockback-dealing water tornado, fire bomb, lightning fields, shadow gravity wells...). As a Zelda fan, I loved it more when I realized they were all accompanied by the songs from Ocarina of Time (Seranade of Water, Bolero of Fire, Nocturne of Shadow...).

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
eh, it's fine, i know that the ai is just lobotomized unless you set it to max difficulty, then everybody grows balls and starts ganging up on you

i can't really be bothered to complain about reviews that only do weak mode anymore

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I too think that Mario's stablemate Zelda needs more exposure. Even when Zelda is running with the title, their matches are seen as secondary to the ones Mario is involved in. Zelda is the Macho Man to Mario's Hogan, the CM Punk to Mario's Cena, you get the point.

Anyway I love Zelda's current Dynasty Warrior gimmick as I am a mark for that gimmick.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Eh, Yahtzee's fine to have his own opinion. Really the only people who will enjoy Hyrule Warriors are those who enjoy the Dynasty Warriors games (myself very much included).

That being said, insulting Zelda fans was really uncalled for.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MrHide-Patten said:

Pretty sure half the people complaining aren't complaining that he didn't like the game. More that he, you know, called them cunts.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:

It's really unpleasant to see you say such things. I don't care that he doesn't like the game, lots of people don't like Dynasty Warriors-type games.

I'd prefer to not be called a "****" en masse, is all.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
You know, I was REALLY hoping this would be like a Ninja Gaiden style Zelda, gameplay wise I mean. But NOOOO, it's a copy of another game with a Zelda paint job over it. And the game it's copying (IMO) isn't even that good. >_>

What is going on with Nintendo...

(Oh yes, and I should probably add that yes, I'm a Zelda fan as well.)