Zero Punctuation: Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo Holding Pattern?

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Splatoon, Codename S.T.E.A.M....

As for the relative quality as a Warriors game? I kind of like it more than Orochi 3. I feel I have more control in fights against officers, and it's easier to see an actual difference made by me capturing keeps and stemming the flow of reinforcements.

mmiki

Mar 1, 2013
Mangue Surfer said:
So, in the end, Nintendo can't came up with new IPs even if they are doing it.
I heard good things about Wonderful 101 but... It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, at this point. I can't justify getting a Wii U because I'm not interested enough in games that come out for it to justify the cost of console and games, and I can't get interested in games that come out for Wii U because I don't own one.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Mangue Surfer said:
blackrave said:
Yeah, Nintendo is doing same dance again :/
Is there any new IP Nintendo came up with in last few years?
Dozens. The thing is how the human brain perceives information. Ignoring what is necessary to mantain it's internal logic cohesive. Experts call it "confirmatory bias".

So if I list Wii Sports people will say:

"It's casual, don't count."

Pushmo

"It's download only, don't count."

Wonderful 101

" Isn't famous, don't count."

So, in the end, Nintendo can't came up with new IPs even if they are doing it.
I suspect that when most people talk about new IPs, they only tend to count IPs who have proven somewhat popular and to have some amount of longevity. This is obviously a problem for very new properties, because they, by definition, cannot have had either of those things. But to say that Nintendo isn't putting out great new IPs is preposterous. It's just that we don't always know which ones are going to flourish. For my money, it probably takes a console generation or two for an IP to be considered to have "arrived" in popular parlance. And Nintendo obviously has some IPs that fit that profile. Pikmin and Animal Crossing are two great new IPs that grew out of the Gamecube generation, for instance. I can't make any arguments for the Wii, because, well, motion controls are the Devil and I will have nothing to do with them, but you see my point.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
ERaptor said:
Considering how he treats fans of Battlefield and CoD, I didnt give much on the insult. It's kind of like South Park, he bashes everyone once in a while, so I tend to take no issue with it.
Well, everybody except fans of the stuff he likes (besides Portal).

Personally I didn't really notice because I know he has ridiculous standards.

One of the most nice cases of this was him complaining about Silent Hill 4 not being part of the HD Collection when he didn't remotely give it praise before while calling SH2 and SH3 part of the big boys club.

One EP before the HD Collection: That's not a good game by any means.

Silent Hill Let's Drown Out, 2014: It's a good game. SH2 > SH1 > SH4 > SH3 > Western SH.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Enlong said:
Splatoon, Codename S.T.E.A.M....

As for the relative quality as a Warriors game? I kind of like it more than Orochi 3. I feel I have more control in fights against officers, and it's easier to see an actual difference made by me capturing keeps and stemming the flow of reinforcements.
And Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Life, Captain Toad (though admittedly a spinoff of Mario), Mario Maker, Project Giant Robo, Project Guard, and a few others. Oh, and let's not forget Nintendo-published exclusives like Devil's Third and Bayonetta 2.

But here's the thing I've come to learn about trying to bring this up: it's pointless to the kind of people who claim Nintendo never makes anything new. Why? Because the idea or argument that Nintendo does not make new franchises is not based in fact, it's a belief. Nintendo makes new stuff frequently, it's just that when you have franchises that have lasted going on thirty years or more and thus they've had time to accumulate many entries and spinoffs, it makes it SEEM like Nintendo uses only those franchises.

And another thing, can someone explain how longevity came to be considered an insult? I thought being able to last decades was considered an achievement, something to be proud of and celebrate, not something to put and laugh at. Most franchises are lucky to not burn out before the decade mark and yet Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and more are not only still around, they're still relevant and win critical and commercial acclaim all the time. I fail to see the logic here.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Morbira said:
It's dangerous to watch internet videos alone. TAKE THIS: http://www.amazon.com/Boudreauxs-Butt-Paste-oz-Jar/dp/B0009RF8G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412854832&sr=8-1&keywords=butt+paste
Look buddy if you're going to post like that than at least have the good grace to post the proper cream.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GamerMage said:
Glad to see another sensible opinion here. I kind of had a hunch Yahtzee wouldn't like this, as he's on record as a guy who "doesn't really like JRPGs". Jim might like this though.
Jim both reviewed the game and featured it on his channel. There is literally no need to speculate on his opinion.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Nintendo makes new stuff frequently, it's just that when you have franchises that have lasted going on thirty years or more and thus they've had time to accumulate many entries and spinoffs, it makes it SEEM like Nintendo uses only those franchises.

Old franchises always tend to receive more media coverage and enjoy better sales, precisely because they're so familiar.

Most franchises are lucky to not burn out before the decade mark and yet Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and more are not only still around, they're still relevant and win critical and commercial acclaim all the time. I fail to see the logic here.

Then again, Team Ninja proved with Other M that they excel at burning decades of accumulated goodwill at record speed.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
erttheking said:
Racecarlock said:
erttheking said:
Ugh. If you don't like it, fine, but do you really need to shit on the fans?
I'm a COD fan, you get used to it. Hell, you've been here since 2011. How are you not used to it? The only difference is he's shitting on a fan base you may or may not be a part of.
To be honest I feel like he hasn't done it as much as late. I guess my defenses got lower. And I suppose it's also a case of a straw that broke the camel's back
Well, it sure surprised me. I don't recall him actually referring to fans of something as "cunts" in one of his videos before.

A bit of a shame, really; "fan" seems to have gathered so many negative connotations over the years that it's often seen as a dirty word on its own, when it really just means having a strong admiration for something. Zelda fans are also difficult for me to imagine running rampant and invoking mental images of the word it was derived from. They're having fun with familiar games, good for them. There's no need to kick them for it. I don't know whether Yahtzee has had some unpleasant experiences with Zelda fans in the past or they used to send him hate-mail or whatever, but it was an unnecessarily mean-spirited move. His point could have stood on its own.

I'm also surprised to see that you're being gleefully descended on simply for saying that you think he went too far by calling them cunts. Reading some of the responses to what you've said is like watching people trying to impersonate a comedian without knowing what makes that comedian funny.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Lol the backlash to the review of this game is going to be like the one he had from reviewing super smash brawl

Captcha: Easy Mashed Flavors... wat?

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
Yahtzee, I love you, you're extremely intelligent and really funny, but every time you review a Nintendo product, you make sure to insult me personally.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
I can't imagine how difficult it might be for Team Ninja designing a Zelda game to NOT give Link gorgeous, voluptuous (water-balloon-jiggle-enhanced) breasts.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
rgrekejin said:
Seriously, Dynasty Warrior fans, I want you to answer me this question honestly: In the absence of the Zelda characters, was this game really the best expression of the "_____ Warriors" subgenre? Or even a terribly good one?
Yes.

I mean, no, it's not the best expression of the "_____ Warriors" subgenre, but that's because I don't think anything will ever top the flash and variety of Sengoku Basara 3: Utage (though I admit, I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors after 5:XL, nor Warriors Orochi 3). But based on gameplay and non-franchise-specific presentation, I would rank Hyrule Warriors on the same level as the original Samurai Warriors 2 and the original Warriors Orochi.

Sure, it probably wouldn't have done as well if it wasn't a Zelda game, because it wouldn't have had the same level of exposure, but so? Liking both the hack'n'slash gameplay and the Zelda series doesn't qualify as a conflict of interest.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Nixou said:
Then again, Team Ninja proved with Other M that they excel at burning decades of accumulated goodwill at record speed.
Or it goes to show that gamer culture is very similar to idol singer fans; give them a different depiction of what they THINK a character is like and suddenly the realization that their ideals never existed to begin with is enough to make them have an aneurysm.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Are you about to defend Other M?

I mean, more power to ya, but that's not a conversation anyone's coming out of unscathed, so can we not?

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Oh hey, it's time for Yahtzee to do another generic and insulting rant about a Nintendo product. You know, the kind where you can take the audio from every other and it would still match up to 90%. And in other news, Dynasty Warrior games are highly iterative. Mind. Blown. This video was boring and even worse, lazy. You are the one doing the holding pattern, mate. Wasn't there another game out you actually had something to say about? Shadows of Mordor perhaps?