Zero Punctuation: inFamous

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Yahtzee made a very good point

How does one wack off if ones hands constantly produce electricity?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Not only did he like it, but he was willing to suffer hemolacria. Cool medical jargon ftw!

I agree with the morality system. In a sense, you really only make the choice between good or evil once, and every other choice is simply an opportunity to mess up and accidentally make the wrong choice. There's no grey area.

I kind of liked Mass Effect's morality system. You weren't really picking between "bad" and "good". You were picking between "follows orders to accomplish goals" and "does things your own way". You weren't really rewarded for going too far down one path or the other. You just got different results depending on whether you were at one extreme or the other or somewhere in the middle. In fact, some choices (which did affect the game) really had no influence on your morality rating at all.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
good review, and I agree, why do most games have only good or evil? The only game I know that allows middle ground is Galactic Civilization II by stardock (a great game), turn based strategy. I'll be getting this game thanks :)

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This was his best review in a long time. Mainly because it actually made me laugh out loud (something this hasn't made me due since before March), and he did it more then once.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Very funny, very funny indeed.

Sympathizing with nearly everything said, Infamous is flawed in small ways but great overall. Tons of fun.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pellucid said:
Dear Yahtzee: Please find some new material or quit while you're ahead. When you're ending an episode on a hackneyed political joke that sounds like Jon Stewart on a bad day, it's time to re-examine whether or not you still have any jokes worth telling and, if not, to make up some new ones.
Well now we all know which side of the political toast you butter, Mr. Transparency. The format of these videos aren't designed as a buildup to a punchline, I hope you do realize. And if you don't realize, well then I feel a bit sorry for you.

/rant over

Anyway I enjoyed this video, it seems to me that Yahtzee is just better when he's on message and talking about the game as much as possible. Plus it's nice to see (as i guessed from the episode's preview image) for him to again talk about how moral choice in games seriously needs to either go away or be reworked. We desperately need more middle ground a-la Fallout, or an "ends justify the means" system like in Mass Effect.

ek599

May 27, 2009
i just downloaded the demo recently and thought he should review it. then today, i realized... he did. great job, as always

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
So how would Yahtzee judge the ending of Fallout 1 and 2 (and I assume 3)? In those you can play super-nice or super-evil or just roll through town without doing anything and it will have one affect or another. Could be your saving the matchingstick-selling orphan cause her to grow up and slaughter all the residents of the Vaults or that killing the drug-dealing warlord unites the gangs against the citizenry in a Khmer Rouge kinda way.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Hm. I don't know what to say: that review had more meat on it than the usual Yahtzee fare. I mean, it was still funny, but it stepped away from the classic "I hate everything and everyone" formula. I might just have to buy it... although the bit about completing it in a single weekend makes me think that perhaps renting is the way to go.

blacklab

May 21, 2009
Another good one, excellent references. I played the demo and was wondering if the fun would hold up for 10 hours, sounds like it does. Although I did notice that you seemed a lot more powerful as an evil character.

I'm assuming he'll play Prototype next?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Really, I have to agree with Yahtzee. Moral choice systems really only boil down to "people don't want to kill you" or "people are unable to kill you because they're dead." I would like to see them go away and just say, "you're the bad guy, deal with it, go fuck some shit up."

My one question is "is it worth getting a PS3 for inFamous?"

Riza

Jan 4, 2009
have to say that i have the same opinion about choices...they are always so bland and uninspired...go left or right and so on

Sandal Fury

May 13, 2009
True, there needs to be more middleground in games' morality systems.

And judging by the review, I might have to get this one when I finally cough up the dough for a PS3.