Zero Punctuation: Injustice: Gods Among Us

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
What's with all the hate for Supes,come on he has some of the greatest stories in Comics.

ASSman, Kingdom Come, Red Son, etc.

jluzar20

Apr 29, 2013
I've always been a fan of the Street Fighter series personally. They have FAR less emphasis on some convoluted story and focus instead on the mechanics of the fight. The stories there for you to enjoy, but it's never thrown in your face. Older MK games used to be like this but after the transition to xbox, things have kind of gone down hill.

High level play in Street Fighter is an excellent experience, and an arcade stick ridiculously satisfying once you get the hang of it. MK and these DC fighters just doesn't do that for me. Damn shame Yahtzee doesn't enjoy fighting games though. I'd love to have a crack at him online.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I was waiting for that one line which would be a dead give-away of Yahtzee's poor grasp on fighting games. And it came when he admitted he couldn't pull off a bounce cancel.

The amount of shortcomings Yahtzee had in this game don't surprise me, since his grasp and understanding on fighting games is about the same as my dog, these sort of videos come off more as an extended 'I don't know what this is' rant than an actual critique on the game itself.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Hafrael said:
What's with all the hate for Supes,come on he has some of the greatest stories in Comics.

I'm not sure what ASSman is referring to, but you'll notice that the other two are Elseworlds. ;)

Instead of making a point that superman's only interesting when he's in an alternate universe where he's pitted in a battle of ideals against different styles of heroes, I'm going to mention 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way' (which is a battle of ideals that also happens to be canonical). It was recently adapted into Superman vs The Elite.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I'm pining for a game where you play as one of the civilians in the DC/Marvel universe.

You're just trying to get back home from work or down the shops to buy milk, but keep having to dodge the falling skyscrapers the supertwats keep knocking over in battle.

It'd be an interesting new take on the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing. Who are you going to sympathise with, when both supersides keeps superruining your day? And how would the superheroes and villains look from down there, on the street, from the perspective of a guy who just had his car smashed by an errant billboard casually thrown from the frey?

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
I don't like the gameplay of MK, so it wasn't a surprise that I wasn't really impressed with what Injustice had to offer. The gameplay feels cluncky and there seems is a lot of unneeded down time with the animations and transitions. I do have to give the game credit with their tutorials and the information they provide. It is the first game that gives the framedata in the game itself, which is really useful for the high level players. But I can finally start with Persona 4 arena soon and I am really looking forward to the Tekken X Streetfighter game that will be hopefully released soon enough.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
ThrobbingEgo said:
Hafrael said:

I'm not sure what ASSman is referring to, but you'll notice that the other two are Elseworlds. ;)

Instead of making a point that superman's only interesting when he's in an alternate universe where he's pitted in a battle of ideals against different styles of heroes, I'm going to mention 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way' (which is a battle of ideals that also happens to be canonical). It was recently adapted into Superman vs The Elite.

That's a sad fact of the modern Marvel/DC model, I don't think any character is interesting when not in an elseworlds. When writers are so chained to continuity there is little they can do, and not much they can change or explore. You don't get the exploration of Superman's humanity and how it clashes with his divinity like in Kingdom Come.

Yes there are some fun stories, but they don't do much more than that and that's disappointing. But, to imply that this is in someway a defect unique to Superman is either disingenuous or ignorant.

What's So Funny exists in an empty world where no other super powered people have a similar doctrine, it might as well be an elseworlds. (Also I don't believe it is canon anymore. Plus if you were looking for some other amazing stories that were canon you could do a lot better, Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything is phenomenal.)

ASSman is my fun little abbreviation for All-Star Superman, my favorite comic of all time, and IMO the definitive work in the Super Hero genre.

VortexCortex

May 1, 2013
Muspelheim said:
I'm pining for a game where you play as one of the civilians in the DC/Marvel universe.

You're just trying to get back home from work or down the shops to buy milk, but keep having to dodge the falling skyscrapers the supertwats keep knocking over in battle.

It'd be an interesting new take on the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing.
Unsurprisingly, this concept was explored already, but not in game form (to my knowledge).

In Darkwing Duck Episode 39 "Planet of the Capes" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9WtSwGadw] Darkwing finds himself on a planet where everyone is a superhero, thus making the most important person in the world Ordinary Guy [http://darkwingduck.wikia.com/wiki/Ordinary_Guy].

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Actually Yahtzee any section of the tutorial can be skipped so I don't know where you got this idea that it wouldn't let you leave from. I skipped a fair few parts of it myself and still got the achievement for doing it for some reason.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Like when he did Mortal Kombat, I think Yahtzee is missing the point of Super Moves.
In MK9, he complained about the X-ray moves and how they were pointless as the character just got right back up after having their bones turned to dust, Somewhat missing out on the fact that they took off 30+% of the enemy's health.
I don't think he was concerned about the health the other player lost, but that they could even keep fighting at all. The bones are so severely damaged there is no way they could possible use that limb or section of their body again in the fight. When a player gets right back up from an injury that severe and doesn't show any sign that it's affecting them it seems like immersion is slapping you in the face.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Not a single mention of Aquaman? Seriously? I'm shocked, Yahtzee!

On topic, I love Injustice. So much content... Those Battle challenges and STAR missions are brutal though.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Splitzi said:
I don't think he was concerned about the health the other player lost, but that they could even keep fighting at all. The bones are so severely damaged there is no way they could possible use that limb or section of their body again in the fight. When a player gets right back up from an injury that severe and doesn't show any sign that it's affecting them it seems like immersion is slapping you in the face.
Immersion?

I'm a robot fighting a four-armed dragon lady and her lizard-man partner. Seconds earlier, I was a police officer shooting fifty bullets into the head of a flying mystic ninja while a literal god of lightning was dive-bombing a centaur through the floor. Later, I proceeded to rip a man with a laser eye in half with nothing but my bare hands shortly before being teleported to a fight in hell itself with a demonic white-skinned sorcerer that can summon a throne made of human bones wherever he goes.

... And the X-ray moves are the things that breaks the immersion?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Splitzi said:
If that is the case, I've yet to hear someone complain in MVC when Iron Man pulls out a gun that's twice his size and blasts you into next week.
Hell, Even in Street Fighter, one Spinning Pile Diver from Zangief should be enough to end the fight and one of Cammy's Ultras snaps someones neck.
The X-Ray moves function exactly the same as any other Super Combo, only they are a lot more brutal to fit with the over the top Gore in Mortal Kombat.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Hafrael said:
That's a sad fact of the modern Marvel/DC model, I don't think any character is interesting when not in an elseworlds. When writers are so chained to continuity there is little they can do, and not much they can change or explore. You don't get the exploration of Superman's humanity and how it clashes with his divinity like in Kingdom Come.

Yes there are some fun stories, but they don't do much more than that and that's disappointing. But, to imply that this is in someway a defect unique to Superman is either disingenuous or ignorant.

What's So Funny exists in an empty world where no other super powered people have a similar doctrine, it might as well be an elseworlds. (Also I don't believe it is canon anymore. Plus if you were looking for some other amazing stories that were canon you could do a lot better, Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything is phenomenal.)

ASSman is my fun little abbreviation for All-Star Superman, my favorite comic of all time, and IMO the definitive work in the Super Hero genre.
Just because something was retconed (or just doesn't make sense) doesn't mean it wasn't ever canon in mainline continuity. It was published in Adventure Comics, without hiding behind an Elseworld's label. While I'm sure there are better Superman stories, his conflict with Manchester Black defines Superman's character, his abilities, and what he stands for.

In terms of Elsewords, I thought All-Star Superman was okay. I liked the reinterpretation of Silver Age Superman overall (and Frank Quitely's art, as always), but the quirky self-contained stories were hit and miss for me. The highlight for me was probably the issue with Kent visiting Lex in prison, but I found Leo's inclusion in some of the other stories a little offputting. (I get that he's a foil for Lex, I just wasn't crazy about the character.)

I haven't checked out For The Man Who Has Everything, but I'll take a look. I've also heard good things about Superman Birthright (which oddly started out as non-canonical, became canonical, and is no longer canonical).

In terms of canonical mainline DC stories I like, I was a fan of Grant Morrison's run on Batman & Robin. Of course it's not big B-batman: it's Dick Grayson as Batman, trying to fill Bruce's shoes, with Bruce's psychopathic son as Robin. Still an excellent story.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Akratus said:
Character development? In Arkham city? You've lost some of my respect, Yahtzee.
Well, it was mostly at the end, but said ending does shake up the status quo a good bit, and it has a very visible effect on Batman, mostly seen in the Harley's Revenge DLC. It's a pretty interesting change that would force a different villain perspectie in the next game.

So then they start making a prequel.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
ThrobbingEgo said:
Just because something was retconed (or just doesn't make sense) doesn't mean it wasn't ever canon in mainline continuity. It was published in Adventure Comics, without hiding behind an Elseworld's label.
I don't understand why you use the word "hiding". They've been allowed to have themselves unconstrained by continuity, I would say it's more like being "freed" by the Elseworld's label.

While I'm sure there are better Superman stories, his conflict with Manchester Black defines Superman's character, his abilities, and what he stands for.
I haven't read the comic in quite a while, but I do remember having quite a few problems with the way Superman was portrayed. I might be mixing things up with the adaptation as I've seen that more recently, but wasn't it nonsensical that Supes would use his powers to remove the powers of Manchester Black and his friends, but not the actual supervillains? Or even pretend to stoop to their level just to prove a point? I liked it in Kingdom Come because there was so much more pressure, that Superman breaking and going completely nutzoid felt very real.

In terms of Elsewords, I thought All-Star Superman was okay. I liked the reinterpretation of Silver Age Superman overall (and Frank Quitely's art, as always), but the quirky self-contained stories were hit and miss for me. The highlight for me was probably the issue with Kent visiting Lex in prison, but I found Leo's inclusion in some of the other stories a little offputting. (I get that he's a foil for Lex, I just wasn't crazy about the character.)
I disagree with you, but oh well that's just opinions. But at least we can agree Quitely was amazing, his panel layout and movement is second to none.

I haven't checked out For The Man Who Has Everything, but I'll take a look. I've also heard good things about Superman Birthright (which oddly started out as non-canonical, became canonical, and is no longer canonical).
I highly recommend birthright, I don't think it stands up to the first four panels of ASSman, but as far as origin stories go it's top knotch. Also a lot of it is being used as inspiration for the new Man of Steel movie!

In terms of canonical mainline DC stories I like, I was a fan of Grant Morrison's run on Batman & Robin. Of course it's not big B-batman: it's Dick Grayson as Batman, trying to fill Bruce's shoes, with Bruce's psychopathic son as Robin. Still an excellent story.
Aside from Superman I don't read much DC but I also really liked Dickbats, the new Batwing stuff is also pretty good (though I haven't been following it closely).