Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
lol, well I take it that Yahtzee doesn't like the Wii and he's even more annoyed that they made a "violent" game for it. I agree with him, it seems to me that this was made for the Wii just so people can say "OOOOOOOOO look!! a violent game for the Wii!".

I guess this is kind of similar to MK2 for the SNES. Remember the first Mortal Kombat that was on the Nintendo had the blood replaced with sweat (LAME BTW). Then when the MKII was released on it and it was announced that it would have all the blood from the arcade version people were psyched.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Sigh. There are so much more jokes he could have made about Noby Noby Boy, the unexplored satire material in that game is to the brim, but I guess Yahtzee had to review another Wii game. He won't play J-RPGs either so he'll never play Valkyria Chronicles, or the brilliant Disgaea 3, even though he seems to like the PS3 somewhat. That could change in a single week's review, but who knows. Personally I think Nintendo release their best games on the Nintendo DS at the moment.

And I was intrigued when Yahtzee said he couldn't understand Japanese manga comics, maybe he needs to read the good Old School stuff like Osamu Tezuka's manga instead of the ecchi fanservice stuff which is easier to poke fun at. I look forward to next week's review though, because he just might do something different. Him reviewing Chinatown Wars for DS was a surprise since he rarely does DS reviews. The Escapist rarely does DS reviews unless they are user reviews.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Yahtzee has already dissed Chinatown Wars on the DS, but I can't be certain if he liked it or not because he's as ambiguous as a Black Jack manga volume by Osamu Tezuka, you can't really tell what's good or bad. Unfortunately Yahtzee had to crack another joke at ecchi fanservice manga instead of giving to old school Tezuka stuff a try.

And equally if he likes making fun of the subtext of games why hasn't he tried reviewing Noby Noby Boy? There's so much comedy material you could get out of that game it's not funny (the neglect of not reviewing the game, not the comedy material, which is funny). Yahtzee I guess has gotten himself in a situation where he's become an auteur of reviewing and because he has to live up to the expectations of everyone to be funny all the time he sometimes doesn't know what new jokes to go for and sticks with the old stereotypes everybody laughs at in his reviews. The "Spectacle Fighter" bit was funny though. Yahtzee does good neologisms.

habslove

Aug 21, 2008
MadWorld was fun for all of 15 minutes until I got a headache from the black and white and repetitive gameplay.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
ElTigreNegro said:
Evan Waters said:
I don't get it- why is it important or even inherently desirable that they move on to games with traditional controllers? The market is grown nonetheless, and more people are playing and having fun.
It isn't, it just means that the Wii will keep getting a flow of one dimensional titles and very few worthy titles.
Are mini game collections inherently "one dimensional" and non-worthy? I mean- Wario Ware Smooth Moves is pretty much a work of art, even if it is built around silly gestures.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Y'know, I rather liked Madworld. I agree, the lockon is AWFUL, and the point system could use some work, and the repetitiveness of the announcers grated at me too (especially late game in the Bloodbath challenge with the bike and the aliens) but I think the humor outweighted the repetitiveness most times.

But the controls were pretty responsive. The story was actually GOOD (which surprised the hell out of me), and the point system wasn't that bad (very minor tweaks needed), and the game did get interestingly challenging towards the end.

A bit short but... I mean, Halo 3 clocked it under 6 hours for me, so kinda used to that by now.

Btw, I fail to see any improvement in having this game in the 360/PS3... Hell, it'd make some of the QTE a lot more boring (like the Masters battle).

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Phanto said:
MadWorld certainly isn't the best game to use wiimote - I still find it more entertaining than a button masher though, but maybe that's just me. But why do you want it on another console ? What's the problem with creating a new visual style because of the console's limitations, isn't *this* supposed to be creativity, rather than generic UE3/dirt brown/HD cel-shading ?
I made a thread semi-recently listing all my annoyances with how this forum treats games that are different, despite their cries for innovation. The moment something innovative comes out, people have to nitpick over the console it's on, and any flaws they can see, rather than appreciate the pretty unique comic book style graphics and (considering my experience with Mad World has been hugely better in comparison to Yahtzee's) responsive, well done Wii controls.

Gildedtongue said:
Maybe it's just me, or maybe The Escapist is just looking for someone to rip into things. Perhaps I'm just trying to find logic in the foaming mouth of a rabid madman?
That pretty much explains everything. The Escapist community doesn't actually care about gaming of any form. They just want something to be cynical about. That and 95% of them hate the Wii, so...

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
Evan Waters said:
ElTigreNegro said:
Evan Waters said:
I don't get it- why is it important or even inherently desirable that they move on to games with traditional controllers? The market is grown nonetheless, and more people are playing and having fun.
It isn't, it just means that the Wii will keep getting a flow of one dimensional titles and very few worthy titles.
Are mini game collections inherently "one dimensional" and non-worthy? I mean- Wario Ware Smooth Moves is pretty much a work of art, even if it is built around silly gestures.
The vast majority of them: yes.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
ElTigreNegro said:
Evan Waters said:
ElTigreNegro said:
Evan Waters said:
The vast majority of them: yes.
The vast majority of GAMES are one-dimensional. I don't think the genre is *inherently* inferior, and I think the view of it as such is part of the snobbery I'm describing.

Shralla

Apr 15, 2009
So everything that was wrong with the game, other than the scoring system, could be said to have been wrong with No More Heroes as well, yet he adores NMH.

Hm...

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Wow, this video managed to be the most boring ZP for me ever. The recycled Wii bashing which was already old and moldy the first time around. And what is left of the review is uninspired, less then informative and not a least bit funny.

Take a week of, you seriously need it.

sulld1

Apr 14, 2009
Yahtzee's right the Wii shouldn't have these kind of games but hey if its fun then you might as well give it a go

Damolition

Jan 6, 2009
I really do have to agree with one point, the controls for madworld feel widely out of place.

It asks me to perform gestures with the wii remote at the most awkward of swishing moments.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I'm just glad Yahtzee finally acknowledged the existence of God Hand (and didn't seem to hate it too much.) There probably aren't many games I like more than God Hand.

The controls being imprecise is something I've heard from multiple sources before Yahtzee mentioned them, so I have no doubt it's at least somewhat true. Still, the only Wii games that I think have good controls are the ones that use either the GC or Classic controller.

MrTurquoise

Apr 4, 2009
I wish that Yahtzee could go about his reviews with as much optimism and open-mindedness as a good number of his fans go about in watching his videos, because the constant Wii bashing is getting old. And I understand that it's his opinion, but honestly, a lot of his recent reviews have completely sucked, but you don't hear anyone complaining about that too much, do you?

Then again, there's almost as much bias fandom following Yahtzee as there is Wii bashing in his recent reviews, so that's understandable, I suppose...

Not that it matters, for I am just an opinion on the umpteenth page of the comments section for a video made by someone who I used to find funny, so, yeah...

Kage Me

Jul 10, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
The controls being imprecise is something I've heard from multiple sources before Yahtzee mentioned them, so I have no doubt it's at least somewhat true. Still, the only Wii games that I think have good controls are the ones that use either the GC or Classic controller.
Play the GC version of Pikmin. Then play the Wii version. I think you'll find that the latter's controls are much better.