Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

Cheeselord1020

Apr 15, 2009
nice review

actually i think he should do a reveiw of viewtiful joe when the time of games slow to a stop I think it actually may be funny, sure he might find the characters horrably angsty but watever it may be incredibly funny

kazork

Oct 16, 2007
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Nicely done Yahtzee.

By chance, does anyone know who the target audience was for this game? You'd think that the Wii would want to distance itself from gore since most of the Wii owners are 9 year olds and pudgy old ladies.
Why would a 9 year old or a old lady not enjoy a little bit of gore.
And also think about all the other wii owners (me for example 23 years old and gaming 20 of those years)

I love my wii and play it more than the 360.

C3RV3ZA

Apr 16, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee 99% of the time but where is the KILLZONE 2 REVIEW? I wanna see what he makes up with it...

C3RV3ZA

Apr 16, 2009
kazork said:
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Nicely done Yahtzee.

By chance, does anyone know who the target audience was for this game? You'd think that the Wii would want to distance itself from gore since most of the Wii owners are 9 year olds and pudgy old ladies.
And also think about all the other wii owners (me for example 23 years old and gaming 20 of those years)

You play Wii more than the 360? wow thats a first hehe... I have all 3 consoles but my Wii is only for family reunions and stuff like that. And everyone I know uses it like that.

Julius M

Apr 16, 2009
The Deadpool said:
A bit short but... I mean, Halo 3 clocked it under 6 hours for me, so kinda used to that by now.
Indeed. And I wouldn't even say that it's neccesarily a bad thing. If it's a few hours of mindless entertainment you'll love and has a high replayability what does it matter? (though perhaps the price could be adjusted a little.)

Anyway, didn't like this review much. I don't mind wii-bashing, but it should be legit.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Yahtzee's tendancy to rant about things not related to the specific game itself (Bitching about the Wii's controls, the Sonic Unleashed review being a bitching at Sonic in general) is really starting to wear thin. Before he could find plenty of genuine annoying stuff for him to complain about in his style and that is what makes some of his more outrageous notes acceptable.

Since it's branched out into mostly bitching about stuff not specific to the game in hand it's less of an "overly critical for entertainment purpose" review show to "Yahtzee's ***** about everything" review show. Sure, you can point them out but they've got to be small footnotes, state that Madworld would've worked better on the other platforms because the Wii's controls are too clunky or whatever and move on. I personally don't want to hear more bitching about that freaking Wiimote because it's getting really bloody old.

HectorTheLamerGamer

May 21, 2008
Wiimote controls are a your millage may vary kinda thing. I for one have never had any trouble getting my wiimote to respond exactly how I want it to at exactly the right time. Also I think that, while it does do a good job of determining what YOU like, basing a consoles objective worth around your and your friends opinions is an inherently flawed system. I have yet to find more than one or two games on the xbox 360 that I really would consider buying. On the other hand I have bought and kept a number of wii games and play them on a regular basis. Does this mean the xbox 360 sucks, or that it doesn't deserve to have developers make games for it because I don't like the type of games they make for it? No. What it does mean is that I don't appreciate the system as much as other people do. The fact that other people appreciate it can not be disputed. And I wouldn't try to. This is where I have the biggest beef with this review. You don't like the game? That's fine. You don't like the console? I might dispute the necessity of putting that in the review of the game, but ok, whatever. You think that everyone should abandon the system because you don't like? Now we're getting stupid. Console wars (and what I'm beginning to see as the casual/hardcore divide) seem to me to be the worst and most detrimental aspect of the gaming culture of today.

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
I (as always) loved the video, and I rate the opening Charlton Heston bit as one of Yahtzee's funniest moments ever. I had actually never heard of the game, largely due to the fact that I've never really paid much heed to the Wii and fully support Yahtzee's crusade to get others to ignore it too.

Q9R42

Aug 4, 2008
It simply wont buffer for me though.. Even though i want to see it like crazy ):

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
kazork said:
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Nicely done Yahtzee.

That may be true, but judging by the caliber and genera of games the Wii has to offer you and I (I'm 22) are not the target audience.

Though I do not own a Wii I have (as a moderate gamer) logged well over 100 hours in Fallout 3. I doubt any Wii game can do the same AND have a solid foundation of similar titles to offer.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Great review. I was wondering when Yahtzee would do this, thinking yahtzee might like the ultra-violence but hate it for... the fact its on the Wii.

But the phrases and the analogies in this one were great, thoroughly hilarious

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Various (mostly) valid complains about the Wii effect on the biz aside... is it worth asking whether or not Madworld would even have gotten greenlit on the 360 or PS3? Can you really see Sony or MS saying "yeah, lets do that" to publishing something this offbeat even if just at the visual level?

If you're TRYING to innovate in this generation, you're pretty-much effed: You're choices are either two prohibitively-expensive giants wholly resistant to anything that really rocks the boat or an underpowered alternative where anything above a "T" is in an automatic niche.

Sir_Muffonious

Apr 15, 2009
I've been thinking of it alot, and I simply can't get my around the fact that he liked No More Heroes despite it's flaws but hated MadWorld despite the fact that it's basically No More Heroes but 10 times better.

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
I couldn't agree more about the Wii. I keep telling people what a piece of garbage it is but they all keep buying games for it... and being disappointed when said games suck due to the Wii's abundant shortcomings.

I hope the bloody thing dies soon so developers will make games for consoles that matter.

McGee

Mar 31, 2009
I only use my Wii for Brawl when a large group of friends are over. Otherwise it just kind of sits there....

Kaze103

Feb 11, 2009
My parents got themselves a Wii a while back. It also jsut sits there.. And I still want to get MadWorld for it.

Julius M

Apr 16, 2009
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
kazork said:
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Nicely done Yahtzee.

That may be true, but judging by the caliber and genera of games the Wii has to offer you and I (I'm 22) are not the target audience.

Though I do not own a Wii I have (as a moderate gamer) logged well over 100 hours in Fallout 3. I doubt any Wii game can do the same AND have a solid foundation of similar titles to offer.
I personally wouldn't be able to put in over 100 hours in Fallout. I wouldn't call that moderate gaming either though.

I bought my Wii only recently knowing full well I would never get many games on it. But I don't really play on my one that much anyway. The Wii is still the best console in my eyes out of the next generation to have some solid fun with friends. I think I will buy Madworld simply because it's a great game to have to just invite a friend or two over and compete.

Hexadecimal

Apr 16, 2009
Finally decided to register to compliment Yahtzee's reviews. So, great review.

I'm still debating buying this game since I've barely got anything to play on my Wii.