Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

yosophat

Apr 15, 2009
Good show like always. Nintendo should have followed SEGA to the grave and made games for good counsels.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I'd say Spectacle Fighter either needs to be redefined or the selection of games needs a do-over because DMC, VJ and God Hand are all hard games where the enemies most certainly fight back, which, if I've heard correctly, isn't exactly the case in MadWorld.

Also, I doubt he meant Nintendo are paying them to make violent games for the Wii (especially considering they try to have a family-friendly approach), but remember that the Wii has, by far, the largest install base. Sure, most of it consists of people who wouldn't give the game a second glance, but no other console has the same potential.

I don't think that's the reason it was made for the Wii though. It might be hardware limitations (I hear many japanese developers are trying as hard as possible to hang on to their old hardware) or just trying to fill a market segment.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Dectilon said:
I'd say Spectacle Fighter either needs to be redefined or the selection of games needs to a do-over because DMC, VJ and God Hand are all hard games where the enemies most certainly fight back, which, if I've heard correctly, isn't exactly the case in MadWorld.
On the normal mode the enemies aren't that bad, but if you up the difficulty the game becomes much more difficult. Quite frankly, I like that approach more than putting making the "standard" difficulty a hard one, because it's annoying when you have to play through the "easy" mode instead on those games and you feel like a retard because it always says something like, "For people who haven't played a lot of games before."

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Apparently it's suspension-worthy to say that a Zero-Punctuation clip is good, looking at the first page, but, at any rate.

Is it just me, or does Mr. Croshaw seem to reverse his points of view frequently? Madworld is essentially another No More Heroes (albeit with the between-level grinding removed to just get to the over-the-top evisceration-fest). As good? Well, no, not quite, but you can only do so much without SUDA-51 leading a project. The aspect felt more like an American 1980s gore comic book mixed in with the commentary from professional wrestling. Okay, the game isn't Branston Pickle, but could be compared to an off-brand knock off.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe The Escapist is just looking for someone to rip into things. Perhaps I'm just trying to find logic in the foaming mouth of a rabid madman?

Phanto

Apr 15, 2009
Dectilon said:
Also, I doubt he meant Nintendo are paying them to make violent games for the Wii (especially considering they try to have a family-friendly approach), but remember that the Wii has, by far, the largest install base. Sure, most of it consists of people who wouldn't give the game a second glance, but no other console has the same potential.

I don't think that's the reason it was made for the Wii though. It might be hardware limitations (I hear many japanese developers are trying as hard as possible to hang on to their old hardware) or just trying to fill a market segment.
It has a large install base but selling a """hardcore""" game on it is far more difficult than on any other platform.

IMO it was an attempt to be creative - not even to push the hardware, but rather to make a game that is visually nice without HD, normal mapping and all this stuff I'm not nerdy enough to like.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
Actually, for all that Yahtzee spews bile on the Wii, it's pretty much got the largest share of positive (or at least as positive as that cranky bastard gets) reviews from him.

Super Mario Galaxy and House Of The Dead: Overkill were pretty much go out and buy recommendations. The only other one I can think of (not counting the trips into history) is Bioshock.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Henriksen said:
Why dont you just stop reviewing games for Nintendo if you hate them so mutch. Its getting pretty boring to listen to you wine about Nintendo all the time. It seems like nomather what comes out for it you will hate it.
No, he complains cause what comes out on Wii must suck compared to what it would have been on a real console. He doesn't hate it cause it's on the Wii, he hates that being on the Wii means they wasted potential.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Sennune said:
Another great review. I really appreciated the "A Clockwork Orange" reference.
Soylent Green. The whole bit was a reference to Soylent Gree. Alex just watched a small film screen. The people in Soylent Green watched early Imax. I'd say more, but that'd ruin the movie for the people who haven't seen it.

Edit: It appears I focused on the wrong moment.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Syntax Man said:
Funny as always, but I must say that Yahtzee seems to always pick on the Wii itself a lot. Especially considering the massive exaggeration present with his complaints about the motion sensor. Come on, it works pretty well and the delay between 'input' and game registry is only a fraction of a second..
Then he's not exaggerating. A fraction of a second is still huge, especially in videogames

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Sylocat said:
Every time he reviews a Wii game, he reiterates all his nitpicks about it before getting down to the actual review.
Because every wii game suffers simply because they are on the wii, and the complains are no less valid. The game would have been better simply by being made on PS3 or 360 instead.

He's not a PS3/360 fanboy, he harps on PS3 all the time. He's a quality game fanboy. And Wii doesnt have them
making games on wii just because nintendo gives money ?
Thats not what he said. He didn't say it was nintendo giving them money, but that they were in it just cause they felt they could make more money on the wii

JoeNut

Aug 27, 2008
you're right, it's like developers are just trying to make something slightly different so that everyone who owns a wii will buy it, even though it'll be shit and worse than it could have been if it were on any other console.

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
Gildedtongue said:
Apparently it's suspension-worthy to say that a Zero-Punctuation clip is good, looking at the first page, but, at any rate.
I noticed that as well and said, "What..arbitrary..silliness."(best line in any ZP vid I've seen thusfar)

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I can't watch it for some reason, I've tried several browsers (including Firefox).

It just says "Stream Not Found".

Does anyone have any clue what the problem is?!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Techni said:
Henriksen said:
Why dont you just stop reviewing games for Nintendo if you hate them so mutch. Its getting pretty boring to listen to you wine about Nintendo all the time. It seems like nomather what comes out for it you will hate it.
No, he complains cause what comes out on Wii must suck compared to what it would have been on a real console. He doesn't hate it cause it's on the Wii, he hates that being on the Wii means they wasted potential.
How did it being on the Wii make it not live up to it's potential? Rather than a graphical and audio upgrade, what added potential would have been realized by putting MadWorld on a 360 or PS3?

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
I suspect that the problem Yahtzee has with the Wii is the same problem that I have with it, the DS and the iPod Touch. I've yet to see any game which I felt was improved by the Wiimote controls, other than sporting games where the motion was a direct analogue of what you're actually doing. When it's doing stuff like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, the Wii is in a class of its own. But a classic-style actioner like Madworld is always going to work better with the precision of button and pad controls, and once you take the Wiimote out of the equation you're left with a console with markedly less horsepower than its competitors. I accept completely that this is due to my being an older gamer- I don't want to play games by drawing on the screen with a pen, tilting the display all over the place or putting my fingers on the game screen. I want controls that do the job of control and then get out of the way and let me play the game, and that doesn't seem to be what the Wii is about.