Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
They need to stop using the Wiimote just for the sake of it. If you can find a good way to implement it then fine, otherwise just use the good old fashioned buttons.

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Oh boy, I can't wait to see some of the posts about this. Madworld fans are very touchy about any criticism.

Also, does this mean Yahtzee liked Godhand?

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Nicely done Yahtzee.

By chance, does anyone know who the target audience was for this game? You'd think that the Wii would want to distance itself from gore since most of the Wii owners are 9 year olds and pudgy old ladies.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Why does Yhatzee never mention a games music? I never noticed it until now but the music in madworld was interesting and stood out and I as someone who does not generally like hip-hop enjoyed it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Jursa said:
Aye the Wii is a console that will try to boast about a violent game more than a animal rights activist would try to save the last tiger in the world.
I don't think the console, its maker or the vast majority of its userbase even give a shit about violent games, just a few 12-24 year olds who want to feel mature by playing a game that has the word on the box. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to an FPS with water guns.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I don't think that the fact that MadWorld was on the Wii detracted from it. I think it helped it if anything. I found MadWorld to be a good stress reliever with it's motion-sensitive violence. Sure it wasn't spot-on, but I think we've all become accustomed to the compromising we've had to deal with with Wii Responsiveness, much like we had to during early internet multiplayer FPSes. Anyone who has played the game and enjoyed it, can you honestly say that you think the game would have been more enjoyable if all the actions and deaths were mapped to buttons and QTEs, or if they were just turned into cinematics that you just started with a button?

Ben66

Mar 6, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
They need to stop using the Wiimote just for the sake of it. If you can find a good way to implement it then fine, otherwise just use the good old fashioned buttons.
Exactly.

Anyway, Loved the humor in the review as always, but I'm finding the Wii bashing to be tiring. Yes, Yahtzee's allowed to dislike a console, but he's really starting to sound like a PS3/360 fanboy, which is somethng I figured he'd try not to be. The whole issue with the motion sensing controls seems to be subjective as well (some people find it intuitive, others find there's too much delay, etc.). Nevertheless I respect his hatred of the Wii and understand why.

Though in all actuality some of it just may be exaggerated nitpicks. Maybe he's purposely imitating Wii-haters. Who knows.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
crazyhaircut94 said:
Awesome and hilarious as always, but I'm not sure whether he think's it's good or not. I think he's trying to say that he would like it if it was on something else than the Wii.
Of course. The game could look and play exactly the way it does now, and so long as it wasn't a Wii exclusive he'd like it.

But of course, his endless, tedious anti-Nintendo drama whoring brings in more traffic, which means more ad revenue for The Escapist and more people buying his T-shirts.

clauwman

Jan 31, 2009
Yahtzee complaining about a targeting system! GTFO

In all seriousness though, he seems to have that kind of problem with whatever game he reviews.

Kenkaku

Nov 7, 2007
Considering that most reviews on Madworld are the complete opposite of what's seen in this video, all of the humor I was hoping for quickly dissipated into nothing, much like the balloon analogy.

It's really hard to laugh at another 'Wii Remote controls are bad' when everyone says the opposite for this game. Oh, and considering that most controls are handled with the A and B buttons, you can tell that something has gone wrong during Yahtzee's playthrough.

It's also really hard to laugh when saying the cel shading doesn't work when some reviewers are calling it an artistic achievement altogether. I could just as easily make this point with God of War, since the game has you zoomed out about 100 yards away from the action to hide its piss-poor textures and low-poly characters.

It's also just really hard to laugh when? well, when there's not really a whole lot of jokes to laugh at. I can see why Nintendo haters would love this video since they need something to entertain them while they wait for the next PS3/360 title to come out, but otherwise, this video felt dull and uninspired.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Eternal Vigil said:
Hmm...Madworld was my hope for a mature audience on the Wii, along with HOTD and the Conduit later this year.

There's so few games on it that I'd want to play on it, I think I have to agree with Yahtzee and hope developers give up on the system and focus on the other two for the mature audiences.
Oh yes, that's the right idea. There are developers who have been pumping out a lot of mediocre games for the Wii, so the right idea is for developers of good games to just stop trying, and let the mediocre developers run the place while they retreat to the 360 and PS3. Yeah. That makes total sense.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Ben66 said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Exactly.

Anyway, Loved the humor in the review as always, but I'm finding the Wii bashing to be tiring. Yes, Yahtzee's allowed to dislike a console, but he's really starting to sound like a PS3/360 fanboy, which is somethng I figured he'd try not to be. The whole issue with the motion sensing controls seems to be subjective as well (some people find it intuitive, others find there's too much delay, etc.). Nevertheless I respect his hatred of the Wii and understand why.

Though in all actuality some of it just may be exaggerated nitpicks. Maybe he's purposely imitating Wii-haters. Who knows.
Exactly. Every time he reviews a Wii game, he reiterates all his nitpicks about it before getting down to the actual review. In this video alone, he spent 48 fucking seconds bashing the Wii before he even mentioned the game he was supposed to be reviewing.

And what's even more annoying is the way he paints himself as a victimized minority being persecuted by a mythical endless army of Nintendo fanboys, who are apparently much worse than every other type of fanboy for some arbitrary reason.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Excellent video, very amusing, and I had to chuckle at the "Soylent Green" link in the beginning. Mad world doesn't look particularly deep to be honest, although I knew very little about it before, and probably everything about it now.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Pretty funny, as always. Wasn't there supposed to be a fix for the Wii controls or something? I remember them making sort of a big deal about it and then it just never happened. Where did that go?

Also is throwing a chainsaw and getting it lodged in someone's head a move in that game or did he make that up for the video? I would probably rent it for the 3 hours he says it's entertaining if it had crazier stuff like that.

I just rented the "Wanted: WoF" game, I wish he'd review that. As fun as I think it is to watch bullets go around corners in slo-mo, it does have some flaws and I think he would enjoy hating it.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
Meh, give the wii some violent games if not soley to destroy the "omg kiddies" label shoved down it's poor rusty throat.
I liked the review though, I had a feeling the enemies were actually going to be generally useless. They didn't actually do anything in the videos, just kinda stood around and let you do horrible things to them so it seems a shame.
Personally I'm awaiting the AI on the FPS that's comming out later, can't remember the name, but that also looks quite useless. It really isn't that 'hard' to programme a semi interesting AI matrix into the game. Hell the guys over at Scourge, open scource rpg thing, did it and it seems to have worked better than some modern paid programmers AI, which is interesting because you'd think if you were being paid you'd have more incentive to ctually write more than ten lines of code for the enemy AI...

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
I love the ending message.

"Must be difficult doing up your fly with a chainsaw arm." but compared to the other recent ZP's, it's not as good.