Zero Punctuation: Mailbag Showdown

StatikShock

Mar 18, 2008
Sentient said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
So, you've not played the game, yet know the faults Yahtzee came up with don't exist?
Yes, I do. See, there's this amazing thing called the internet, it lets you find out a lot of stuff, even information on games that you haven't played! Amazing, huh? Add that to the fact that I've played Melee to death, and a lot of the complaints Yahtzee has about Brawl apply to Melee too, and you'll find that I do know that Yahtzee is just pulling shit out of his arse.
Glad to know you are an expert, despite never touching the game.

Sentient said:
Here are a list of the "faults" Yahtzee found in Brawl:

1) The camera zooms out too far.
2) The characters are obscured by effects.
3) You don't have everything from the start.
4) You have to unlock stuff in single player.
5) The Subspace Emissary is too long.
6) SSBB is a button masher.
7) Subspace Emissary cutscenes are like Nintendo fanfics.
8) Characters don't deserve to be in the game just because he doesn't know them.

How many of those are complete and utter bullshit? 8 of them. Oh wait, that's ALL of them.

1) The camera is fine, it doesn't zoom too far out at any time, so Yahtzee must have been playing this on a pathetically tiny television in order for this "fault" to have any validity.
Opinion. I have a quite large TV, and I still felt the characters were small on larger levels.
Despite that, still a personal opinion, based on no firsthand knowledge.

Sentient said:
2) This is just bullshit. The only times in the entire game where the characters are obscured by effects is when the Smoke Ball has been used (an item DESIGNED to obscure the characters).
Opinion. I didn't have too much of a problem with graphic effects, but I am not him.

Sentient said:
3) OMIGOD! YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK STUFFZ? ZOMG THIS GAME SUCKZ!
Personal opinion. Just FYI, he complained that you had to unlock things for MULTIPLAYER. Which I agree with. I think its ridiculous that I should have to spend ANY amount of time unlocking things for what essentially amounts to "free play mode" I don't mind unlocking additional levels, or "secret" characters, but all of the base characters and levels should be unlocked from the start for MULTIPLAYER ONLY.

Either way... opinion.

Sentient said:
4) Funny how nearly all of the single player modes can be played in co-op WITH SOMEONE ELSE. There goes that "fault".
Kind of a strange stance to take, since I would be willing to bet that most people don't classify "co-op" as "multi-player." When I think multiplayer I think competition between people (although it is technically wrong. I would also assume that when Yahtzee said "Multi-player" he was referring to the Free-for-all "brawl" part of the game.

Sentient said:
5) Usually people complain when a game is too short. The Subspace Emissary's length is fine.
Opinion. You even said you haven't actually played the game yourself. How do you know the length is fine? Who is it fine for? You? Are you Yahtzee? Didn't think so.

Sentient said:
6) If Yahtzee honestly thinks SSBB is a button masher then he should just quit gaming right now.
Opinion AND ad hominem in the same sentence! Getting better!

Sentient said:
7) I've never heard of a Nintendo fanfic that remotely resembles the Subspace Emissary. Yet another "fault" Yahtzee made up in a failed attempt at complaining about SSBB.
I'll bold for emphasis. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. He stated, essentially "It plays out like a Nintendo fanfic, not that the cutscenes are in any way LIKE an existing fanfic. That is a perfectly valid comparision. Your logic is flawed, not his.

Sentient said:
8) Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawww! He should go to Google and get over his ignorance.
Opinion and ad hominem again! He was making a case (albeit brief) that there were probably other more popular characters that are well known outside of Japan that might have been better choices than lesser known characters. If the majority of the sales of the game are outside of Japan, why would players (customers) want favorite characters removed in favor of characters they have never heard of? Not that this is neccessarily the BEST argument, but he, like you, is entitled to his opinion.

Sentient said:
Those were Yahtzee's 8 main "faults" he claimed SSBB had, and I just proved what utter bullshit they all are. I could easily make a list of faults SSBB has, and all of the points I'd raise would be valid and not imaginary. In fact, here's a list of the faults SSBB has:

1) Tripping. A pointless addition that only hinders the gameplay.
Opinion. Some people may like it. How do you know it is bad? Because other people said so?

Sentient said:
2) Clones. They're still here, even after we were promised they'd be gone.
Opinion.

Sentient said:
3) Release date. It's taken too long to be released in Europe.
Hardly a fault of the game. That would be NINTENDO's fault. Not a fault of SSBB. Also: Opinion.

Sentient said:
4) Some series are horribly over-represented, whilst others are under-represented.
Opinion. Surprisingly similar to Yahtzee's 8th arguement. He argues against having unknown-outside-of-japan characters, you say "thats bad" then say that too-many-characters-from-series-X is bad. Pick your battle.

Sentient said:
5) Very similar to Melee.
Opinion. Although one that could actually be backed up. When I played SSBB, I was not, and I would assume that most people were expecting Nintendo to take a don't-fix-what-isn't-broken stance. Obviously people love the game/series, so why change it? Give the option of using new additions.

Sentient said:
There you go, five faults about SSBB, and what do you know? All of them are true! That wasn't hard to do, so what's Yahtzee's excuse?
All of them are OPINION not fact. (Although one was improperly assigned to be a fault of the game, but complaining about the delay in release is technically still an opinion.)

Actually opinions cannot be proven as "true" or "false" since they are just that, personal opinion.

Sentient said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
Yahtzee highlights what is essentially a massive FUCK YOU from brawl which is PLAY AS SONIC (after countless fucking HOURS playing, FFS I finished GTA4 before my friend unlocked brawl fully. (and by that I mean got all the characters)) when shit like that happens it's not fun (which brawl is supposed to be), as you're doing the same shit, fighting the same fucking people on the same fucking level over and fucking over until you get a message going "you've played long enough, have a character that 0.1% of westerners give half a fuck about, oh BTW sonics still a fuckload of hours away, enjoy".
You do realize that how long you play Brawl for doesn't factor at all into unlocking any characters, don't you? Obviously not, or else you wouldn't have just made a twat out of yourself.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to think of unlocking things in terms of time spent. No, that time spent will NOT be the same for everyone, but it can probably be averaged out to things such as "it takes about X hours to unlock A, Y hours for B," et cetera.

Sentient said:
Edderz1989 said:
FANBOY!!!
Oh, I'm so hurt. I just got called a fanboy by some dick who blatantly doesn't know the meaning of the word.
You are being a Nintendo / SSB fanboy, quite blatantly too. How does he not know the meaning? Because you have some minor critcisms for A GAME YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED? Hardly the mark of an unbiased observer. Defending a game YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED against an internet critic!

Sentient said:
Edderz1989 said:
ow and what the hell do you mean "don't review it becasue you'll get half of the complaints". who here can say hand on heart that they'ed watch yahtzee if he didn't rip games to peices.
He could at least find some real things to complain about. He obviously couldn't do that about Brawl (god knows how, it's not hard to do).

mspencer82 said:
The word is existent.
Aawww. That's so cute. You're trying to copy Yahtzee by being a spelling nazi! Go stand in a field you fucking sheep.
Like you being a fanboy and defending a game (that you admittedly HAVE NOT PLAYED )against an internet critic? Pot, meet kettle.

Sentient said:
mspencer82 said:
Why are you so bothered by someone not liking Brawl?
Wow. How hard did you try in order to completely misunderstand my post as much as you have? I have no problem with someone disliking Brawl. What I do have a problem with is when someone hates on a game and has no real reasons for doing it, and then a bunch of ass-kissers follow his lead and start hating that game without reason too.
Pot, meet kettle.

Sentient said:
mspencer82 said:
You say he shouldn't have reviewed it if he didn't want to, but at the same time your fellow Brawl fanatics (and likely you) begged him to review it. Was he just supposed to ignore those requests if he didn't like the game? Is that what a reviewer does now, only review games they like?
Nice assumption about me, shame it isn't true. I never begged him to review it. Ever. Yes, I was looking forward to him reviewing it, but that's because I thought he'd be clever enough to rip the game about it's actual faults like the fact you can randomly trip over. Obviously I overestimated his intelligence.
Ad hominem.

Sentient said:
mspencer82 said:
What exactly were these non-existent flaws that Yahtzee pointed out?
See above.
See your opinions about opinions?

Sentient said:
Edderz1989 said:
THANK YOU.
STFU.
BAWWWWWWWWWWW.

leonbev

Nov 25, 2007
I can't wait for that GTA4 review! I know that one is going to be epic!

Hell... If Yahtzee was a game character, he would definitely be an Australian version of Niko.

randomjoe333333

Mar 16, 2008
haha funny gamespot reviews are all paid obviously just look at kane and lynch getting a 6.0 and then the 2nd review getting high scores.

anyways the wii is actually pretty bad the graphics on it is terrible its just mario again and again

Also yahtzee i think you should become a teacher

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
Meh, This played out more like a Strong Bad email. It would have been nice to have him respond to a well-written (so he couldn't proofread), well-thought out (so he couldn't defend himself on their own stupidity) and lucid (so he could get through it) letter, instead of these, plainly written by 12-year olds. It wasn't so much of a response, because those three letters didn't really address any real points, and if his aim was to make fun of fanboys, it's nothing he hasn't done before. It was still funny, but it looks like he took the easy way out. Saying "I'm right" because three badly-spoken 12-year-olds disagree with me is pretty damn awful logic.

Are.Oh.Why

Apr 30, 2008
I just so happen to like SSBB but I agree with the fact that Yahtzee pointed out, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about one ambiguous review or the bastards that cry over it like your friend getting it on with the girl you just spent 2 hours telling your life story! He said in the review that whatever he says will not change minds either way. Like Halo, no matter what some will think it's the most amazing piece of art in history and some will say it's an amazing piece of shit on a stick. As far as "selling out" why is it that the so-called underground of everything calls "moving up" selling out? Like "Underground Hip-Hop" you're not underground because you wanna stay there you are because your rhymes are more comparable to a steroid driven wrestler with turrets syndrome reciting the ten commandments rather than inspirational or entertaining music....FYI I don't give a fuck how you feel I just said my piece and no debating is going to come of it so don't send message trying to argue a point because I don't care what you think.....

Inner Darkness

Mar 8, 2008
Wow, i can't believe all the haters out there! I really enjoy ur reviews, seriously ppl need to learn that ur just trying to make us laugh and trust me it works. I really enjoy ur videos, don't let those fanboys get to u (which they wont :I) I will always watch ur videos, and i appreciate u take ur time to do them for us for free, thank you sir. Also, the super smash brother fanboys, why are they so offended? They just made the game to earn $, not to gain respect or crap from anyone!

Are.Oh.Why

Apr 30, 2008
Frank Lucas Jr. said:
I just so happen to like SSBB but I agree with the fact that Yahtzee pointed out, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about one ambiguous review or the bastards that cry over it like your friend getting it on with the girl you just spent 2 hours telling your life story! He said in the review that whatever he says will not change minds either way. Like Halo, no matter what some will think it's the most amazing piece of art in history and some will say it's an amazing piece of shit on a stick. As far as "selling out" why is it that the so-called underground of everything calls "moving up" selling out? Like "Underground Hip-Hop" you're not underground because you wanna stay there you are because your rhymes are more comparable to a steroid driven wrestler with turrets syndrome reciting the ten commandments rather than inspirational or entertaining music....FYI I don't give a fuck how you feel I just said my piece and no debating is going to come of it so don't send message trying to argue a point because I don't care what you think.....
And for the record, everyone who begged him to review it remember the saying "You don't tug on Superman's Cape?" make a note of that.....

Are.Oh.Why

Apr 30, 2008
Inner Darkness said:
Wow, i can't believe all the haters out there! I really enjoy ur reviews, seriously ppl need to learn that ur just trying to make us laugh and trust me it works. I really enjoy ur videos, don't let those fanboys get to u (which they wont :I) I will always watch ur videos, and i appreciate u take ur time to do them for us for free, thank you sir. Also, the super smash brother fanboys, why are they so offended? They just made the game to earn $, not to gain respect or crap from anyone!
Truth....pure and unaltered....

BaldingSteve

Apr 13, 2008
Yahtzee is quite possibly the best game reviewer ever. I agree with almost everything he says, and for the things I don't, I find it very funny and end up feeling the same way. I mean, how could you disagree? He is really making a 2-sided-argument that almost everyone can agree on SOME points with. But, to quote Yahtzee, "God moves in mysterious ways."

StatikShock

Mar 18, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The same could be applied to Guitar Hero III, which he (comparably) lovingly praised, despite the exact same problem appearing in spades. If it was so negligible as to be allowed to slip by in that, then it shouldn't have been a blip on his radar for Brawl, unless he was making up things to attack it about.

I could do far more, but I'm bored.
Or it could be that it wasn't as much of an issue in his playing of guitar hero? I can generally dislike a "feature" in a game (such as the unlocking of stuff for multiplayer) but ignore it in one context and deride it in another. I don't like it, but certain games are more or less offensive how they go about it.

Young ice

May 7, 2008
Whats with the ****** fanboys that ***** and moan every time somebody rates a game and they dont agree. Yahtzee actually makes some really good points. Its just those damn super smash bros fanboys that orgasm every time they hear the name super smash bros. Their the only ones that didn't like the review.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
A Username Not In Use said:
No they don't. Wars start for many different reasons, previous examples include;

An ear being cut off
One country deciding it wanted a big navy
Paying for goods with drugs
Removal of a nearby guard patrol
Recruitment of sailors into a forign navy
A dead pig
Self government
Home rule
Hah! Nice list, but you forgot "being thrown out of a window." ;-) (defenestration of Prague... Google it).