Zero Punctuation: Mailbag Showdown

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
The great thing about this thread is there's already easily enough material in it to fuel another mailbag showdown! :)

Flayra

Nov 30, 2007
To all the people longing for GTA IV, I fear you'll be disappointed, and I'm afraid it'll turn into a fanboy-brawl again, only this time for a lot more people (since I assume a lot more like the GTA series than SSBB).

I myself just look forward to the humor. I couldn't care less if he tore my favourite game apart, because in my opinion this is just a show, even if most points he makes are valid ;)

bladin

May 9, 2008
I loved the vid yahtzee.

To quickly sum up my thoughts.

1. camera and effects. It's his opinion, you have yours, your both right.
2. Unlocking chars, it sucks playing with friends when you don't have everything unlocked previously. Not everyone has the game, and not everyone has everything unlocked
3. Button mashing. The game is button mashy.... when you play it as a game instead of a lifestyle. If you've played ssb(any in the series) for more than 200 hours collectively, your lost to reason. But the advance techniques, and tournament quality play, is out of reach, and in fact is not even desirable, to the average player(as in 90% of the people who bought the game). And the game will be sorta mashy.

Yahtzee isn't going to practice playing this game(note, ssbb is just a game, it's not a lifestyle, or a way of life) enough to become "that guy". Let alone the fact that, "that guy" could never create a funny review, since i can watch fluffy rainbows, and perfect flowery bunnies all day long, and its just as boring and gay as someone describing their favorite game why it is awesome.
4. Unknown characters. They are unknown out of japan, why do you think jump ultimate stars never got out of japan. IT wasn't because of low sales potential(lol it'd have sold like hot cakes) it was because a lot of the stuff is unknown outside of japan, and some of the stuff is actually unlicensed, or held by different licensing companies for rights regarding various things in different countries.(at least thats how it was explained to me, i never got into the game, or researched it enough to verify it)

5. THIS IS ZERO PUNCTUATION!! THESE ARE NOT LEGITIMATE GAME REVIEWS!! THEY ARE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT AND ENTERTAINMENT!!

Now that you realize that, and he wasn't trying to insult your way of life. Maybe you can realize that... he was exaggerating the button mashing situation for humours sake.

And that he wasn't calling you ignorant for liking this game, or that your a fanboy for liking it. If you'd have actually listened to the review instead of steaming with nerd rage, you'd have realized that he was saying "if you defended the name "wii" when it was announced on internet forums, your going to love this game regardless of anything anyone says because your that much of a fanboy twat" And frankly, you argueing against him on these forums... has pretty much proved his point, and proved what you are.

Kaos Incarnate

May 7, 2008
What about those that disagree and explain why they disagree?
Without getting to the point of writing something like the examples in his video.

Fortunately I do not blame Yahtzee for this mess, it's mainly the people in the forums that are taking what he says too far, by that I mean on both sides of the argument. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many people in the middle ground trying to get both sides to come to a truce.

burn to ashe

May 2, 2008
Nice going, Yahtzee. I may be brainwashed by a semester of Modern English Grammar, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the text of the e-mails being corrected for punctuation. That might have made my day.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Good, very good. Indeed, most of the "critics" about Yathzee's were compleet bullcrap. We know who Yathzee is, we know how he reviews (like he sad in the previous God of War review, a really big nitpicker: good, we need those people as well) etc etc etc. Ofcourse, some valid points against Yathzee can be made. Sadly, most of the time they're just fanboy rants.
The most important one, imo, is the controll thingy. Like I sad before somewhere, the main strenght in the SS series is it's easy to grasp controlls. No long lists of strangley named combo's and crap like that. It's easy to know what you're doing, since it has few moves. Yes ofcourse, real tournament play isn't in the reach of the average game, but then again form wich game is tournament level gameplay in the reach of the average gamer? Indeed, with SSBB you can combinate the little amount of moves you have in complicated attack plans and whatever. But that doesn't mean that as an average gamer, you don't know what you're doing.

Something else, imo a game is good when the game does what it wanted to do really good. SSBB is an example of that, it's ment as an easy-to-acces party-ish game with lots of spectacle. The fact that you don't like what a game is trying to do, doesn't make the game shitty. That's the reason I don't play Football Manager. I know that it's a marvelous game; what it's wanting to do, it's doing really really good. But then again, I find it completly awfull because I don't like what the game wants to do. And for SSBB, I really like what it's wanting to do. Ofcourse that doesn't mean I'm going to go rabid about it as a fanboy (wich I'm not, I just enjoy games, like I care if they're from Nintendo or THQ or Microsoft). I accept the flaws, I don't like em but I still enjoy the game.

Disclaimer: because I suck at English (lack of proper English education, my current English level is DIY, next year I'll hopefully refine my skills when I'm going for a Bachelor in Journalism) I apologise for any grammar and spelling mistakes.

Skatoony

Oct 4, 2007
Absolutely brilliant - I hope the people sending hate mail actually realise what they're doing.

SacrificiaLamb

Nov 14, 2007
What makes Croshaw any less legitimate than the throngs of ass whores who have been squirting out perfect 10 scores across-the-board for GTA 4?

GokoWildheart

Apr 24, 2008
Fantasic review as always. The only question i have is, what computer are you holding up when your talking about the consles???
Thank you again for making the normal grey days in the week look alittle less grey with your reviews ^^

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
Long time viewer, but I had to post for this. ZP this week was brilliant; laughed the whole way through. Cannot wait to see how you gut, tar and feather GTA IV.

wiseass

Jan 5, 2008
wowthisnamesucks said:
Consider this: if nothing else, when your opponent strikes you, would you be at advantage to be close to an edge, or near the center? Being close to an edge gives you a much higher chance of being KO'd. Ignoring all other aspects of the game, positioning is crucial, and can't be done by random button pressing. Again- there is a huge hardcore crowd with smash brothers, look up some videos on youtube or something.
Well consider this: what you have just mentioned is esentially GRAVITY, an element of gameplay Nintendo did not invent. Not only that but take shooters, just because the shooter allows players to hide behind cover, does that mean the game is no longer a mindless trigger game? certainly not just because of the cover. Not only this but in brawl, whether in the center or not, you can always KO ur opponent by launching them into orbit, no matter where on the stage they are

wowthisnamesucks said:
Because I think there's something wrong with a game where you can spend 15 years learning every slightest nuance and still lose to someone randomly smashing buttons." People have tournaments for serious cash over this game, they play it like a job. Saying that it's a button masher just isn't true, no, it isn't opinion because an experienced and skilled player will always beat an inexperienced and unskilled player. Saying whether you think it's good or bad is an opinion.
Oh please! try having an inexperienced player play pit V inexperienced player playing, say, bowser. Pit will win the contest of effective button mashing and that is because the character, despite how everyone denies it, is more powerful. Yes if someone has more experience they will win! thats like saying Master cheif will survive longer than your average marine!

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
INDIGO YOUR WASTING YOUR LIFE! Consider you wont care about SSBB in a year or 2, and you'll have wasted countless hours in this trivial argument defending a game. GO PLAY SSBB IF ITS THAT IMPORTANT! NO! STOP! No.... BAD INDIGO. DONT REPLY! Just close the window, walk away, and know you were right SSBB wasnt as bad a Yahtzee said it was. BUT NOTHING WILL CHANGE HE SAID IT, AND NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION. ARE YOU GOING TO STOP WATCHING ZERO PUNTUATION? ITS JUST A WEB CAST AND SSBB IS JUST A GAME! Who was right doesnt matter! Your wasting your life, go do something, if you must talk about SSBB go to a forum and do so and talk constructively. Talk about what you'd like to see next, what could have been better, what your favourite part of the game was but for the love of everything that is gaming STOP COMPLAINING!

Apply as needed to anyone else with the same socially devoid forum spamming tendancies as Indigo, if you hate Yahtzeee now, start a new forum. I'm sure he'd be more than happy for you to do so.

Nkitsune (proven a liar ¬_¬)

Kaos Incarnate

May 7, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
INDIGO YOUR WASTING YOUR LIFE! Consider you wont care about SSBB in a year or 2, and you'll have wasted countless hours in this trivial argument defending a game. GO PLAY SSBB IF ITS THAT IMPORTANT! NO! STOP! No.... BAD INDIGO. DONT REPLY! Just close the window, walk away, and know you were right SSBB wasnt as bad a Yahtzee said it was. BUT NOTHING WILL CHANGE HE SAID IT, AND NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION. ARE YOU GOING TO STOP WATCHING ZERO PUNTUATION? ITS JUST A WEB CAST AND SSBB IS JUST A GAME! Who was right doesnt matter! Your wasting your life, go do something, if you must talk about SSBB go to a forum and do so and talk constructively. Talk about what you'd like to see next, what could have been better, what your favourite part of the game was but for the love of everything that is gaming STOP COMPLAINING!

Apply as needed to anyone else with the same socially devoid forum spamming tendancies as Indigo, if you hate Yahtzeee now, start a new forum. I'm sure he'd be more than happy for you to do so.

Nkitsune (proven a liar ¬_¬)
I still care about Melee, just as much as I care about every Zelda game made. Just because Brawl is the latest game, doesn't mean we should stop caring about the roots of that game.