Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Suskie said:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether. The game must've been pretty awesome if that's the best he's got!
No, no you can't. Try playing through without mining, which means you'll only be able to upgrade a tiny fraction of anything and see how well you fare. Really glad I finished the game over the weekend so I can appreciate the subtle discusion.

This feels like talking about Fight Club around people who haven't seen it. If you've made it to the ending, you know what certain things mean in context. If you haven't, it doesn't give things away.

I must say though, I'm surprised there wasn't even a text based reference to the absurdity of Gilbert and Sullivan.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
A1 said:
But at the same time the Mass Effect franchise is still somewhat lacking when it comes to gameplay, although most RPG fans probably won't care all that much.
I must point out that ME 2 is not an RPG. It's a 3rd Person Shooter fest with the lightest of possible RPG elements stacked on top of a good storyline.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Jetpacks... Hell yes!

It seems Yatzhee like this (if you compare this to his other recent videos). I knew he'd complain about the lack of going down on the planets for extra missions (not for the vehicle sections! I played the final section of ME1 since my save wasn't registering and found that final vehicle section brought back all the unpleasent memories). I think there's 17 extra scannable planet missions where you land, but he's already mentioned he doesn't spend time on the extra side quests in games for reviews (funnily enough, he mentioned that in his ME1 review) so I knew they wouldn't come up.

Oh, and great callback to the Tablusa Rasa video in addition to a great review. Thanks Yatzhee for making Wednesdays something to look forward too.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Suprised Yahtzee didn't go on about the quick time events at all. Granted they were purely optional, but how games that use quick time events make them optional?

The Vehicle Driving is going be added later as DLC, only they traded the Mako for a Hovertank.

As for the mining there's a trick to it: Only mine as long as you can upgrade something right that minute. All stockpiling resources does is burn credits buying probes and fuel. The other thing is there's no real point in buying all of the armor pieces, just buy the ones you want to use in the long term.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
lol "Birds fly, Fish swim, and Micheal Atkinson Molests Dogs" I almost peed a little.....

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Couldn't agree more about the ease of the cover system, although on Insanity it is sufficiently challenging and if you import a character you don't have to unlock the mode. Aside from telegraphing every major encounter by populating rooms with a hedge maze of cement barricades and crates and multiple conspicuous balconies with solid cover-friendly railings, virtually all of the cover in the game is waist high. The days of straffing out, headshotting and straffing back to the safety of a huge boulder to avoid using the thumb-monkey whack-a-mole holes are gone apparently.

I loved the surveying minigame, if only because it reminded me of Star Control II. It really needed something like the threat of natural disasters like SC2 had to make it engaging, which is hard to accomplish from orbit. Controlling some kind of shuttle craft like you take down to the missions and scanning while dodging pterodactyl and mutant plasma radiation lightning storms would have made the experience far more enjoyable.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Feversaint said:
Suskie said:
I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).
I didn't quite seem like he was doing that to me. From the review I'd say he actually enjoyed it a bit, but his job is to nitpick, so thus he has (with valid points as always).
I meant the whole "BioWare don't score points for that anymore" bit. Like the fact that the writing is PREDICTABLY good somehow detracts from it. It's a really flimsy argument.

Having re-watched this video... yeah, he's really scraping away in this review, trying his hardest to find something to criticize and not really coming up with much. I do love the game so it probably sounds like I'm making up excuses, but I came to the conclusion at least a week ago that people who claim to dislike ME2 for the planet scanning liked the game more than they're willing to admit :)

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
*ahem*
Waah waah waah.. Why not Bioshock 2, waah waah waah must be because it's so great there's nothing bad to say about it..
*phew*

There. Nice review, fairly generic and no good punchlines. Meh.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Axolotl said:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.
That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.

OT: If they bring back a vehicle for ME3, I certainly hope it handles better than a wheelbarrow full of fragments of brick.

qubit

Sep 26, 2008
jamescorck said:
He dedicated way too much of the review to the mining issue, but I can't say he is wrong. Mining in the game got boring for me after three hours, to the point where I put on my MP3 so I wouldn't fall asleep doing it.
I didn't find mining horribly boring to be honest, but only because I found a great way to cheese the scanning (on 360) that triples the reticle speed while the accuracy of your readings remain the same (tap the left trigger at approximately half-second intervals, and if you're scanning right or left, rotate the planet with the right stick as you're doing so). It was still boring, mind you, just not the snore fest one would expect.

Also the combat really opens up if you play on Insanity as one of the less gun-savvy classes (I played as an Infiltrator on Insanity, where even a point-blank headshot from the Widow rifle with 50%-damage headshot upgrade isn't a guaranteed kill). You really start to appreciate your mass effect powers, and combining powers with your squad to double-team or triple-team a mook. The HeavyIncinerate/Warp/Lift combo quickly became my best friend on Insanity :p

theatretechgirl90

Feb 17, 2010
Hahahaha Yahtzee's love of jet packs makes me ever so happy :D. Yet another greatly hilarious review causing me to actually laugh out loud(very loud) while by myself in my room like some sort of looney shut-in :). Thanks ZP!

"space trousers!"....my new band name :p hehe

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
That is pretty much the feeling I had when watching this. Im guessing he played on normal or veteran by the way he talked about how easy it was. My first playthrough was on hardcore and there were a lot of fights that were a complete *****. Plus the complaining about the combat system just seems like he is trying to fill space and add length. The combat is vastly improved and made the game absolutely awesome. But yes obviously everyone has been complaining about the scanning and mako so they really do need to figure out a 3rd option that really makes the game epic.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I was never a fan of the "create your own adventure" games. I'm playing video games because I don't want to have to think about it.

now to find that ME2 seems to have lost the "game" part and has become a movie version of those "choose your own adventure" books.

and lets face it, those books were never well written.

c'mon video games, when will you become games again?

And more chest high walls? Real Heroes don't need chest high walls, and sometimes they will tear those walls down to kill their enemy. Samus, Link, Mario, Kratos, Wander, the marine from Doom; all of them and more have said NO to chest high walls.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Axolotl said:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.
That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.
What?

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
Bah, not negative enough. Also surprised that he didn't throw Gears of War with chest high walls. Still, good game and good video.