Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Jens Viking

Nov 19, 2009
Played it once, not gonna play it again in a looong while, but eventually I'll probably do. Just like my relationship to lasagne hence: Mass Effect 2 = lasagne

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Suskie said:
tharwen said:
Suskie said:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether.
If you skip the mining you get almost no upgrades and ultimately fail.
Getting almost no upgrades would have solved the problem of the game being too difficult, and while I can't be sure, I'd say there are at least enough mineral drops in the on-foot sections to take care of the three ship upgrades needed to get the best ending. And even if not, then a couple of characters die and you don't get the best ending. You can still beat the game and have Shepard survive so long as you're doing the loyalty missions.

It's called "the best ending" for a reason; you have to WORK for it.

That made no sense to me. What side are you arguing?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Heh, it's so easy to take a shot at the mining. And that's because it really does suck. Yes, you can skip it... but life becomes difficult if you do and certain allies get pasted at the end of the game. I'm about to play through with a different ME1 character, but I've been reluctant to because I have all that planet scanning ahead of me. I'll take that over driving the mako any day of the week though.

All in all, a humorous review. Not as funny as his first ME review, but then that game had more to complain about. (I personally love both)

pingnak

Sep 27, 2007
I played it. Once. The game is too much like a #&*$ JOB.

I mean, it's the year somethousand, and they have AI smarter than people, and they can't have the computer tediously scan the whole planet and show me where the resources and landing spots are? There are some resource drops, but far too little to afford any upgrades. I'd stripped most of the planets bare by the end of the game, and I still hadn't 'unlocked' upgrades.

10% combat & exploration, 60% groping planets with a cursor, 10% stuck in endless conversation trees, 20% wandering around lost. Nothing like upgrading the armor of a whole space ship for 15,000 Platinum, then later in the game spending 25,000 platinum to upgrade a single shotgun for a single character, to try to unlock more useful upgrades to make all of that repetitive, tedious planet groping seem worthwhile. And then dealing with crew members who can't get along as part of the game?

And another thing that I haven't seen in a while... SWAPPING DISKS. WTF? (XBOX 360) Time to get up and put a different disk in the drive? AGAIN? Naturally the fact that I had 'installed' the first disk to the hard drive didn't matter ('Dirty Disk' error - yay) when it came time to put disk 1 back in again, just like an old S.O.L. game on floppies.

Fortunately, I got it used. I'd take it back to gamestop, but the trade-in valus is already below $10 (and as usual, the 'used' retail price is 5x as high as the trade-in), because this game has no replay appeal, and people were already bringing it back the first week. I finished, and I was done, and I don't want to ever play it again. A friend of mine wants to see it, so I'll mail it to him and let him keep it.

Bioshock 3 was definitely WAY better, took almost as long to play, fit on one disk, and didn't leave me feeling like I was polishing big turd balls for a living... and I'll play it more than once.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ehhh,

Well I can agree with the review on some levels but in the end my tastes are very differant from Yahtzee's. For example I preferred the game as an RPG and I like inventory management and being able to equip my various characters and such, as well as leveling up and distributing stat points and the like.

My big problem with ME 2 was that it became too much of a shooter, and not enough of an RPG.

I had no fundemental problem with the vehicle sections or inventory management, but felt both needed an overhaul. Rather than improving the systems, like say using a Knights Of The Old Republic-type equipment system, and adding more stuff to do with your vehicles besides roll around looking for salvage (and perhaps adding vehicle-specific skills, equipment, and customization).

I'm not a twitch maniac, I like crafting, exploration, and doing things like gathering minerals that do not fall off the bodies of your slain opponents. However I do not believe that this has to be made horrendously boring. If anything the scanning system in ME 2 was a step backwards because at least with the Mako in the first game I would get to shoot the occasional scavenger, or giant Dune inspired worm.

What's more I did not like the way exps were only awarded for completing missions, I like getting exps from killing my enemies and performing other actions, besides quests/missions. They should have simply put more possible levels to achieve in the game (along with far more skills) and let you level up by shooting stuff and exploring. I personally think someone who spends more time doing this stuff should have higher level and more powerful characters that someone who can't pay attention to anything except for the most obvious aspects of the missions and whatever happens to walk through his gunsight while taking the most direct path to the finish point.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
blalien said:
romxxii said:
"why did you have to fight the geth when at that point, the virus had reformatted all heretic geth into regular geth, which means Legion could've just told them to stand down?"
The geth were being tortured by Tali's father. They were fighting in self-defense. Or if that doesn't satisfy you, just say that quarian ships are insulated against outside signals and the heretic geth on the ship never got reformatted.

romxxii said:
And lemme tell ya folks, no matter how smart, funny and intelligent a girl may be, if you fall in love before seeing at least 70% of her face, you may be in for a rude awakening.
I would never fall in love with a girl without seeing her face in real life. I think people are assuming that under that mask is not a Lovecraftian monstrosity. And you don't see Shepard vomit and his eyes melt when Tali takes off the mask, right? Although that relationship would never work long-term if she has to shoot herself up with antibiotics every time you want to get busy.
Love isn't a rational thing, stranger things have happend than that relationship if you pursue it.

Though honestly, I just had this wierd though about someone falling in love with a Medusan in Star Trek. :p

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
Yahtzee review made me laugh as usual, but again, as usual, I disagree with the majority of what he said. I'm one of the few who actually miss the Mako and world exploring. Yes the controls were horrid, but fix them a bit and I think most would stop complaining.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Don't worry people, the planet exploring will be back as DLC with the Hammerhead Hovercraft. Just hold onto your knickers.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
badoli said:
Odjin said:
Sexy Guy said:
Odjin said:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!
Try out Silent Hill 2 and tell me that.
Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.
Game mechs suck balls? Man, with your expectations you should stop playing video games at all...
Nope, I'm simply fed up with AAA mediocre stuff tossed at us for making money instead of making real games. Don't worry, there are the gems still out but they grew damn thin because big AAAs forgot what game making is really about <.=.<

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Sexy Guy said:
Odjin said:
Sexy Guy said:
Odjin said:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!
Try out Silent Hill 2 and tell me that.
Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.
The difference between a game with lousy game mechanics and a well written story(like Silent Hill 2) and the difference bewteen a movie with a well written is that you get a higher sense of atmosphere due to the interactivity the game gives you, which you dont get from watching a movie, hence, why the horror game genre still exsists.
Objection! A game lacking game mechanics and that is more or less just a novel hardly qualifies for giving "atmosphere due to the interactivity" since they have next to no interactivity at all. People nowadays seem to misunderstand what "interactivity" means. It's not having the choice to use phrase A or phrase B when the rest is all running along a red line.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
pingnak said:
Bioshock 3 was definitely WAY better, took almost as long to play, fit on one disk, and didn't leave me feeling like I was polishing big turd balls for a living... and I'll play it more than once.
They've made Bioshock 3 already!? I knew it! Those greedy scumbags just threw out the 2nd one to make a quick buck!

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Say, did the Lazerus Project make anyone else think of the 6 Million Dollar Man?
"We can rebuild him, we have the technology..."

7ru7h said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I enjoyed the driving in Mass Effect, and as I said in a previous thread, I'd like to kick everyone who complained about it in the balls... hard; so hard in fact that they'll be talking like Pee Wee Herman on helium for a month. ... Anyway the Mako was a fucking TANK with rocket boosters on it, you don't exactly expect a tank to handle like Ferrari, do you? I thought the damn thing handled quite well considering it was a fucking tank!
Anyway, I digress.
Well, I would be one of the people you would like to kick in the balls, but that's mainly because I realize that the mako was actually supposed to be something like an APC rather than a tank, and the fact that the mako handled like an epileptic waiter at a rave didn't help either...
Tank, APC, whatever, the point was that the thing could hardly be expected to handle like Ferrari on a freeway; esp. since you were distinctly not on a freeway, but on the very rocky terrain of some alien planet. And it did not handle like an epileptic waiter at a rave.
Of course, I must have sucked at driving the mako, especially when I would go over peaks and the mako would land and randomly decide to turn completely around. Yep, definitely my fault, and something that had absolutely nothing to do with the crappy implementation. /sarcasm

In all seriousness thought, it kind of does matter if it was a tank or an APC, since you don't expect much out of a tank in the way of handling, but an APC is expected to have a decent amount of handling. Ok, maybe the mako's handling isn't quite as bad as an epileptic waiter at a rave, and no one expected the perfect handling you talked about, but to say that the mako's handling was good is far from the truth.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Edzor said:
Triffid said:
thanks Yahtzee. I was actually considering buying this game, now I can save myself wasting my money
Just for the record, I feel sorry for retards like this guy ^...

Retards that base their game purchase decisions on Yahtzee's reviews, that is.
Especially since Yahtzee's review on ME2 was quite tame, and it was pretty obvious that he liked most of the game.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
7ru7h said:
canadamus_prime said:
Say, did the Lazerus Project make anyone else think of the 6 Million Dollar Man?
"We can rebuild him, we have the technology..."

7ru7h said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I enjoyed the driving in Mass Effect, and as I said in a previous thread, I'd like to kick everyone who complained about it in the balls... hard; so hard in fact that they'll be talking like Pee Wee Herman on helium for a month. ... Anyway the Mako was a fucking TANK with rocket boosters on it, you don't exactly expect a tank to handle like Ferrari, do you? I thought the damn thing handled quite well considering it was a fucking tank!
Anyway, I digress.
Well, I would be one of the people you would like to kick in the balls, but that's mainly because I realize that the mako was actually supposed to be something like an APC rather than a tank, and the fact that the mako handled like an epileptic waiter at a rave didn't help either...
Tank, APC, whatever, the point was that the thing could hardly be expected to handle like Ferrari on a freeway; esp. since you were distinctly not on a freeway, but on the very rocky terrain of some alien planet. And it did not handle like an epileptic waiter at a rave.
Of course, I must have sucked at driving the mako, especially when I would go over peaks and the mako would land and randomly decide to turn completely around. Yep, definitely my fault, and something that had absolutely nothing to do with the crappy implementation. /sarcasm

In all seriousness thought, it kind of does matter if it was a tank or an APC, since you don't expect much out of a tank in the way of handling, but an APC is expected to have a decent amount of handling. Ok, maybe the mako's handling isn't quite as bad as an epileptic waiter at a rave, and no one expected the perfect handling you talked about, but to say that the mako's handling was good is far from the truth.
I didn't say it had perfect handling, I was saying it handled about as well as I would've expected considering the type of vehicle we were driving and the terrain we were driving on.

Meta Knight 486

Feb 19, 2010
Actually, BioWare is going to bring back planet exploration through DLC. I just hope that it ends up being better than the Mako.