Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Styx223

Nov 18, 2009
Anyone who hasn't played the game, and still intends to, might not want to read my question.

What was your opinion of Shepard dying at the beginning of the game, followed by his subsequent resurrection by Cerberus? Was it an excellent hook, a soft-science nightmare, or just a convenient tool used to get rid of most of the characters from the first game in order to start anew?

override367

Nov 29, 2007
Actually he's wrong you can land on a number of planets. You don't get a mile of square terrain to faff about in, but there are things like exploring a derelict cruiser about to fall off a mountain to find the black box, destroying a blue suns mining operation (which gets you about 5 rich planets worth of resources if you kill the mechs quickly), etc

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
7ru7h said:
canadamus_prime said:
Say, did the Lazerus Project make anyone else think of the 6 Million Dollar Man?
"We can rebuild him, we have the technology..."

7ru7h said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well I enjoyed the driving in Mass Effect, and as I said in a previous thread, I'd like to kick everyone who complained about it in the balls... hard; so hard in fact that they'll be talking like Pee Wee Herman on helium for a month. ... Anyway the Mako was a fucking TANK with rocket boosters on it, you don't exactly expect a tank to handle like Ferrari, do you? I thought the damn thing handled quite well considering it was a fucking tank!
Anyway, I digress.
Well, I would be one of the people you would like to kick in the balls, but that's mainly because I realize that the mako was actually supposed to be something like an APC rather than a tank, and the fact that the mako handled like an epileptic waiter at a rave didn't help either...
Tank, APC, whatever, the point was that the thing could hardly be expected to handle like Ferrari on a freeway; esp. since you were distinctly not on a freeway, but on the very rocky terrain of some alien planet. And it did not handle like an epileptic waiter at a rave.
Of course, I must have sucked at driving the mako, especially when I would go over peaks and the mako would land and randomly decide to turn completely around. Yep, definitely my fault, and something that had absolutely nothing to do with the crappy implementation. /sarcasm

In all seriousness thought, it kind of does matter if it was a tank or an APC, since you don't expect much out of a tank in the way of handling, but an APC is expected to have a decent amount of handling. Ok, maybe the mako's handling isn't quite as bad as an epileptic waiter at a rave, and no one expected the perfect handling you talked about, but to say that the mako's handling was good is far from the truth.
I didn't say it had perfect handling, I was saying it handled about as well as I would've expected considering the type of vehicle we were driving and the terrain we were driving on.
No, you said it had good handling considering it was a tank. That statement had nothing to do with the terrain that was being driven on, although you may have or meant to have implied it. I guess I was also at fault an earlier post for not bringing in terrain, and that I do apologize for, as it misshaped this little conversation.

Anyway, I still stand by my statement that the mako's handling left much to be desired, as there were many instances where going over terrian had screwy results in the mako.

masterchevyman

May 9, 2009
squarks said:
not to mention Mordin Solaris sounds ALOT like Yahtzee.
and why are 99.2% of the cerberus and two of your team employees Australian?
if cerberus=evil and cerberus=Australian does that mean Australian=evil? at least according to bio-ware?

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Bioware writer: Lazers you say? Wolves you say? Hulk reference you say?

*5 minutes later*

Bioware writer: Here you go.

*gives you one of the best written scripts for a game ever*

Yahtzee: . . . *head explosion*

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Styx223 said:
Anyone who hasn't played the game, and still intends to, might not want to read my question.

What was your opinion of Shepard dying at the beginning of the game, followed by his subsequent resurrection by Cerberus? Was it an excellent hook, a soft-science nightmare, or just a convenient tool used to get rid of most of the characters from the first game in order to start anew?
Convenient tool.

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
I wasn't gonna watch this be cause i love Mass Effect so much but it was pretty funny. The Capt. Picard/Dirty Harry analogy is a perfect way to describe Pargon/Renegade.

I think the combat in ME2 is a bit more challenging than the first game but maybe that's cause i played an Engineer. Bioware is always going on about improving their games and making the next one better than last, though it seems that people will always find SOMETHING to complain about. Take away the annoying vehical sequences and people will say how boring minning planets is.

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
DeMoNxDaVe said:
Styx223 said:

Convenient tool.
Same. It's a conveniant way to get rid of the old characters but it's also not a bad hook for new players(those who haven't played ME1). The first Mass Effect had that big, epic opening which explained some of the history of the universe as well as what type of person Shepard is, ME2 just jumps right into the story with very little exposition.

Axquirix

Feb 21, 2010
It's not the only game in the last decade to let you bring characters from previous games, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite lets you get hunters from Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Both PSP). Speaking of which, MH 3 might be a good review. (At any rate, better than any other wii game Yahtzee's reviewed). Anyone know how I tell him that?

bishop87

Feb 17, 2010
Very funny video once again. I think the ideas presented are interesting, but I don't know if I necessarily agree. I suppose bringing back the more open world aspect would be fun if there was an entertaining means of transportation and fun variety to populate them. However, I do not know if such an aspect would be able to maintain a level of polish akin to that seen in the "shooting galleries" in Mass Effect 2. I found those a much tighter, and ultimately more enjoyable, experience than most open world games I've played. Also I enjoyed the sequences that weren't all shooting - few as they were - and involved some puzzle solving. I think introducing more gameplay options into the side quest galleries may be a more effective way of breaking up the gameplay and creating an entertaining experience.

Also is it fair to criticize difficulty when the game allows you to up the difficulty mid-game? You aren't locked into a setting from the start, so this seems to be an unfair criticism.

Well that's just another two-cents from another faceless internet jerk who didn't bother to read the rest of the comments to make sure he wasn't repeating anything.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Jedted said:
DeMoNxDaVe said:
Styx223 said:

Convenient tool.
Same. It's a conveniant way to get rid of the old characters but it's also not a bad hook for new players(those who haven't played ME1). The first Mass Effect had that big, epic opening which explained some of the history of the universe as well as what type of person Shepard is, ME2 just jumps right into the story with very little exposition.
Yeah there are much more intelligent things the collectors could have done . . . although most of them would kinda screw up the whole game LOL

shadoworc01

Feb 22, 2010
Yahtzee, I respect you, but maybe you could just try playing the game instead of getting laid in it. Some people actually like the Mass Effect games for the gameplay (except for the vehicle sections, hooray for theming) instead of the sex.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Well, we can say this much: at least the game is trying to improve upon itself instead of just repeating what they did last time. That's a plus, right?

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Does it still take a just kill yourself amount of time to go up an elevator? Yes "kill your self" is in fact a unit of time. I haven't played the game yet, but I plan to if the loading screens are.... eh. better. Anyone recommend this?

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
ManiacRaccoon said:
... Can anyone tell me how the resources effect the end of the game without spoilers or is it tied into the plot? I didn't finish the game when I rented it but I got to the "suicide mission," and I've been trying to figure out why 3 characters died right away despite me completing everyone's side missions that made them "loyal." If it spoils things nevermind, I'll find out next time I play...
Okay, I just want to confirm what I found. Is it true you have to acquire all upgrades, play all the loyalty missions and assign the right tasks to the right people at the end to get the best ending? Only I'm trying to avoid looking up Walkthroughs and stuff because they tend to contain spoilers. You don't have to tell me who to assign where, I just want to know if I'm right.

If that does turn out to be the case, I have another question: Why don't games tell you these things anymore? I've become increasingly frustrated with all the information that gets left out of hints and tutorials that would actually be useful. Considering the loading screen hints are all too common these days it would be really easy to put useful information there, but more often than not it's information you are already told in the tutorial level and instruction booklet. Considering I didn't read the instruction booklet on the basis that it would contain the same information (that and I wanted to see why all my crew disappeared at the beginning right away) and that most people probably don't read it either, putting more information in there might be a bad idea. My problem is that, while games are quick to remind me that mining resources using their terrible probe minigame is a great way to make new gadgets, I don't see the point of doing so when I'm eager to finish the game and capable of doing so without much mining at all. In fact, were it not for the internet, I might not have discovered the "true" ending until I got bored enough with the story options, and since I still haven't even gone through all the options I wanted to in Mass Effect 1, this may not have happened until the next 2 Mass Effect games had come out already. There are plenty of other games guilty of this, and it is really getting old. All I'm asking is that they at the very least make their hints a little less vaguely helpful and a little more actually useful, i.e. "Mining resources is a good idea, a great way to upgrade stuff and jolly good fun" becomes "While blowing stuff up is great, don't forget to grab some resources too, it provides more way to blow stuff up, affects the story in some scenes and is eventually worth the monotony." Actually, even "Psst. Hey, mine stuff, okay? It's totally going to help you somehow in the story. Wink wink. Nudge nudge. Just do it, okay?" would've done better than what they have.

tman_au

Mar 30, 2009
Played it through and it feels sort of rushed, like they couldn't bother expanding on the planet exploration part. Yeah sure for resources have it in its current form, but there wasn't enough meat on the bones in the exploration part of the game.