Zero Punctuation: Max Payne 3

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
JokerboyJordan said:
Totally agree with the lack of a likeable character in Max, I honestly didn't understand his appeal in the previous games. He's such an emo wanker.

Anyway, that was partly the reason I didn't buy the game, as the interesting setting had also gone, leaving nothing new.
I actually thought it was a more interesting setting, I have seen a million hardboiled cop in new york/new jersey it is kind of rare to fight though these cool glitzy high rises and poor down trodden favellas(although that seems to be becoming a shooter staple).

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
MP2 was noir, this isn't, this is normal story with violence and an emo as main character.
Kinda of incorrect as you don't need New York for noir. In fact one of the most notable noir films is Brazil (though is kinda bit sci-fi).

Character wise MP3 is very noir and the noir was first coined to refer to use of lighting in 1920s arthouse films. Also you didn't mention MP1 does that mean you consider MP2 the only noir one of the triology?

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah, so it's another one of those stories where the main antagonist hires the main protagonist to stop all the bad stuff he's trying to carry out from some whacked out bizarro reason.
Thanks.
You should have used spoiler tags.
Huh? What spoiler? I haven't even played the game. I was just guessing based on Yahtzee's description of the plot.
Ah. I thought you just spoilered that your employer is also your secret twist-revealed end boss. I didn't listen to the part when Yahtzee said "Okay, this now may be considered a spoiler", so I thought that "employer is enemy" thing you told was exactly the spoiler Yahtzee was about to say.
If that isn't the case: I apologise.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah, so it's another one of those stories where the main antagonist hires the main protagonist to stop all the bad stuff he's trying to carry out from some whacked out bizarro reason.
Thanks.
Huh? What spoiler? I haven't even played the game. I was just guessing based on Yahtzee's description of the plot.
Ah. I thought you just spoilered that your employer is also your secret twist-revealed end boss. I didn't listen to the part when Yahtzee said "Okay, this now may be considered a spoiler", so I thought that "employer is enemy" thing you told was exactly the spoiler Yahtzee was about to say.
Nope, I pretty much just reiterated what Yahtzee said.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Thanks.
Nope, I pretty much just reiterated what Yahtzee said.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

OT: I can't say I found Max annoying. In fact he has a nice bit of character development about mid-way through the game.

Some of his lines are very funny and demonstrate a great deal of self-awareness.

Moose

Feb 7, 2012
I always thought God was a leopard with a moustache, now Yahtzee has confirmed this I can die happy.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
alrekr said:
Anoni Mus said:
MP2 was noir, this isn't, this is normal story with violence and an emo as main character.
Kinda of incorrect as you don't need New York for noir. In fact one of the most notable noir films is Brazil (though is kinda bit sci-fi).
He never mentioned a location?
So why are you drawing how "You don't need New York for noir", It's not about New York, it's about the setting.If i was in some random city during the night i would have no problems with it, but its about random locations in Brazil switching from rich area to poor area and day to night.

Lighting is the most important thing if you want to create a Film Noir game.
Look at Mafia II, game looks fantastic during the night and adds a lot to the immersion and atmosphere of the setting.
Same thing in GTA IV (Needs a bit of changing in Display settings with colors and brightness) looks incredibly Noir-ish during the night, try it while driving around with Fusion FM/JNR/The Journey on the radio.
General quietness in most games help too.

Kevin Bennett

Mar 5, 2011
While I agree with most of Yahtzee's vids, and even when i don't still LOL, as someone who recently bought Max 1&2 on Steam to get myself in the mood for Max 3 i have to say if you remember Max 1 he has a VERY good reason for being messed up, he was literally about 10 seconds too late to save his wife and newborn baby, actually hearing the shots that killed them as he ran up the stairs.

Whether or not you think someone could get over that without years of therapy is one thing, accepting that would seriously mess someone up is quite another. I had forgotten how truly cold and vicious the backstory in Max 1 was until I played it again but knowing that just five minutes would have changed your life HAS to mess you up. I know Waylon Jennings ended up in a mental hospital because he flipped a quarter with Buddy holly for a seat on the plane and the thought that if it would have landed tails he'd be dead drove him bonkers, but to have something as trivial as "if you ran that last stop sign your family wouldn't be dead" would have to seriously mess up your mind.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
To me, this seems like Max Payne with a Rockstar coat of paint and I mean both in terms of style, story and gameplay.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
really like this game, but I absolutely SUCK AT IT

Seriously; trying to be a badass, but spending more time getting bullet holes in my chest..Bullet time DOES NOTHING FOR ME

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
PoweD said:
Okay firstly I was using New York as an example of generic big city and secondly I already mentioned the importance of lighting; you know when I said thats where the name for the genre comes from. Also the random location change is quite common place in Noir though usually its just office-bar-alley-rooftop with sometimes a casion, mansion or dockyards to break it up.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I have the same problem with the Spiderman movies; he spends half the movies shuffling around moaning how he doesn't want to be spiderman.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Oh man, at the beginning I actually thought he was gonna be serious about the "shooters can't get better than this"...until it turned into a joke about using the same guns in cutscene as in gameplay. Seriously though, HE ACTUALLY LIKED IT! HUZZAH!

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Halo 2 had the player character holding the same weapon in cutscenes as he was in the preceding gameplay.
Just saying.
Thanks. I was hoping someone would say this before me. :)

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
The reason for the relentless misery is that Max is an addict, and this is pretty accurate for how addicts tend to look at their life.

The juxtaposition between a mind-blowingly awesome action stunt and the killjoy reaction that vacuums all the fun out of the room, is most likely deliberate.