Zero Punctuation: Max Payne 3

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
grimner said:
They hammer out his broodiness that they actually fall into the Gears of war kind of trap of 2 dimensionalizing the characters. Kind of like Kratos.
Oh, come on. He offers more than Kratos and the gears crew. Quality brooding!
Being drunk an down people are sounding like this. I thougt his dialogue was very fitting for a alcoholic, pill popping ex-cop with a shot family and a bodycount in the thousand.
Besides he still has good lines, not as much as in the former games, but it`s still there. It`s just not in your face and more for little smirks.

There is more to his character and he makes decisions and changes(i`m not talking about his shaved head) within the game and the tone of his inner monologue changes too.

Ah, sorry, i try to stop the jumping from now on. I love the whole franchise and i´m kind of blind when it comes to MP3. Other opinions than mine are just sooooo wrong ;P

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I laughed pretty hard when he spent half the video teasing Max for failed slo-mo dives xD because that was more or less half my experience with this game
but when done successfully the action really is a thrill :]

even I was thinking that the story was so serious I couldn't take it seriously

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This video has made my day.Thank you yet again Yahtzee.

Also regarding the game,I bought it as well and found it quite enjoyable,especially it's chaotic multiplayer component.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Call me a dribbling fanboy, but I'm really sour about Max Payne 3, cuz the original writer of the old games (Sam Lake, also attributed to the Alan Wake games) pretty much washed his hands of the whole thing. Even had a whole opening of a chapter in Alan Wake devoted to how Lake considered the Payne series dead. It's sorta a Terminator situation: if the original creator considers the series dead, they should just leave well enough alone.

Kevin Bennett said:
While I agree with most of Yahtzee's vids, and even when i don't still LOL, as someone who recently bought Max 1&2 on Steam to get myself in the mood for Max 3 i have to say if you remember Max 1 he has a VERY good reason for being messed up, he was literally about 10 seconds too late to save his wife and newborn baby, actually hearing the shots that killed them as he ran up the stairs.

Whether or not you think someone could get over that without years of therapy is one thing, accepting that would seriously mess someone up is quite another. I had forgotten how truly cold and vicious the backstory in Max 1 was until I played it again but knowing that just five minutes would have changed your life HAS to mess you up. I know Waylon Jennings ended up in a mental hospital because he flipped a quarter with Buddy holly for a seat on the plane and the thought that if it would have landed tails he'd be dead drove him bonkers, but to have something as trivial as "if you ran that last stop sign your family wouldn't be dead" would have to seriously mess up your mind.
The problem with this is, well... That was the beginning of the first game. That's a fucked up place to start out, yeah, but spoiler alert: he got over it! By the end of the second game he had completely moved on not only from his wifes death, but the death of his new lover and probably closest thing he has to a friend (never mind the fact I busted my ass playing that game on the hardest difficulty to make sure she lived, cuz apparently now it's not canon. Thanks Rockstar.)

NuclearShadow said:
I think those who dislike Max's character simply do not like a humanized character. Not every hero has to be a macho brute with no emotions but anger. Max was a common man who was deeply emotionally scarred because of the events that took place, he became a addict and shows true humanity in him. He is flawed and that is his appeal.

The game-play criticism is fair enough but I think Yahtzee was just looking for something to complain about beyond that and targeted the character. He also seems to fail to realize that we are suppose to judge Max in our own way. So whether you find Max to be a tragic character that you sympathize with or one that you think is over emotional and looked down upon, the character worked perfectly as intended. It's a shame to see him express his dislike against the stereotypical macho characters in the past and then position himself against the very opposite of that here.

So in closing, either Yahtzee just needed another complaint and attacked the well developed character or Yahtzee really just doesn't understand the arts.
Let me guess, you liked Metroid Other M too?

Bad character is not better then no character... especually when Max Payne already HAD a character, and this game shat all over it! Max Payne was humanized, he was a three dimensional- ok maybe not three dimensional, but fully actualized character. The closing line at the end of the second game still gives me shivers: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was all right."

Supporting a huge step BACKWARDS for a character and justifying it by calling it "humanization" isn't just not understanding the arts, it's not understanding human beings.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
nor finished yet since the pc version came out a bit later. but so far the shooting is fun, story is so far interesting and graphically it looks amazing as well. but damn, 35gb HDD on 4 dvd..amazing.

it certainly is note the best MP. i miss the "carry all the weapons you want" and the comic parts.
im surprised he dint say anything about the blurry cut scenes. even when i arrived in chapter 10, i still hate this stuff they have done with the cut scenes.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
alrekr said:
Anoni Mus said:
MP2 was noir, this isn't, this is normal story with violence and an emo as main character.
Kinda of incorrect as you don't need New York for noir. In fact one of the most notable noir films is Brazil (though is kinda bit sci-fi).

Character wise MP3 is very noir and the noir was first coined to refer to use of lighting in 1920s arthouse films. Also you didn't mention MP1 does that mean you consider MP2 the only noir one of the triology?
I didn't say MP2 was noir because of the location, it's because of the feeling, MP3 doesn't give me noir feeling.
I agree. It doesn't have a noir feeling at all. Not even New York levels. Writing is pretty shit if you ask me. Max isn't behaving like Max should behave. He's a completely different character. One you just can't relate to or care about.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I actually preferred MP3's story to the previous games. The first game's plot would have been stronger if it didn't have the horrific habit of introducing characters and then having them die as soon as they speak about three lines, and the second game's story was sort of skewed by its constant pointless timeskipping.

I also wish people would take off their nostalgia goggles when speaking about the first game. The first Max Payne was nowhere near the masterpiece people proclaim it to be, thanks to the frequently-shitty level design, non-existent difficulty curve and the worst boss fights I've seen in a long time. That, and the fact that you would need to be some sort of fucking inhuman machine to avoid wanting to punch the people in Remedy square in the jaw for making the shotgun enemies kill you instantly from just about any range. The first game fell short of being great, and the second felt disjointed, even if it did tighten up the gameplay.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
trollpwner said:
Lotta 13-year-olds trying to argue that 1-dimensional grumpy rage is totally great characterization. Let me know how that works out for you, lads.
It doesn't make you seem any wiser than the people you are attempting to put down, if you do so with generic generalizations and an air of condescension.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
Roman Monaghan said:
Call me a dribbling fanboy, but I'm really sour about Max Payne 3, cuz the original writer of the old games (Sam Lake, also attributed to the Alan Wake games) pretty much washed his hands of the whole thing. Even had a whole opening of a chapter in Alan Wake devoted to how Lake considered the Payne series dead. It's sorta a Terminator situation: if the original creator considers the series dead, they should just leave well enough alone.
Sami Järvi did not "wash his hands." He was involved in making of MP3. He wrote with Dan Houser the Max Payne 3 comics that ties-in previous MP games to MP3. He also gave design pointers with the rest of the Remedy team to Rockstar.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah, so it's another one of those stories where the main antagonist hires the main protagonist to stop all the bad stuff he's trying to carry out from some whacked out bizarro reason.
Thanks.
You should have used spoiler tags.
Huh? What spoiler? I haven't even played the game. I was just guessing based on Yahtzee's description of the plot.
Ah. I thought you just spoilered that your employer is also your secret twist-revealed end boss. I didn't listen to the part when Yahtzee said "Okay, this now may be considered a spoiler", so I thought that "employer is enemy" thing you told was exactly the spoiler Yahtzee was about to say.
If that isn't the case: I apologise.
Nope, I pretty much just reiterated what Yahtzee said.
And Yahtzee was wrong.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
36+ hours from buying the game to being able to play. 36+ hours in which I got to the point where - regardless of the game not running - I was pretty damn sure that I've flushed ?50,- down the drain.
Now I've felt like stopping the video at 3:07. Go figure.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Rob Moir said:
"Where was QTE? Like at all?"

- In some of the cut scenes, on the PC version at least.
Press RMB to block some guy with a big knife. Press LMB to take the knife off them. Now press F to kick them to the kerb and finally, Left Ctrl to give them their knife back (if you know what I mean).
Holy fucking christ could you use the quote feature so that the person you meant to understands you, reads you and then replies. Alright, look, it isn't that hard, you see where my comment is? Well click the Quote feature to respond to this and now you have completed the tutorial.

Actually, I looked, they weren't really QTE's as you were playing the game regularly during it. However you just had to do a sequence of button presses to get through, not to keep watching a cut-scene.

trollpwner said:
Clearing the Eye said:
trollpwner said:
Lotta 13-year-olds trying to argue that 1-dimensional grumpy rage is totally great characterization. Let me know how that works out for you, lads.
It doesn't make you seem any wiser than the people you are attempting to put down, if you do so with generic generalizations and an air of condescension.
Attacking a comment aimed specifically at 13-year-old idiots? That reflects well on you.
None of this reflects well on either of you, so there.

-----------------------

Its Max Payne, it is so much of a Payne to run but its still good in the end.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
Totally agree with the lack of a likeable character in Max, I honestly didn't understand his appeal in the previous games. He's such an emo wanker.
In at least the first one, his half-smirk seems to rebate your opinion. He was more self-aware and humorous in the first one. It certainly added to the noir feel, and it didn't substract from the character.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Lykosia said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bloodstain said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ah, so it's another one of those stories where the main antagonist hires the main protagonist to stop all the bad stuff he's trying to carry out from some whacked out bizarro reason.
Thanks.
You should have used spoiler tags.
Huh? What spoiler? I haven't even played the game. I was just guessing based on Yahtzee's description of the plot.
Ah. I thought you just spoilered that your employer is also your secret twist-revealed end boss. I didn't listen to the part when Yahtzee said "Okay, this now may be considered a spoiler", so I thought that "employer is enemy" thing you told was exactly the spoiler Yahtzee was about to say.
If that isn't the case: I apologise.
Nope, I pretty much just reiterated what Yahtzee said.
And Yahtzee was wrong.
If you say so. *shrug*

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
antipunt said:
really like this game, but I absolutely SUCK AT IT

Seriously; trying to be a badass, but spending more time getting bullet holes in my chest..Bullet time DOES NOTHING FOR ME
Maybe you don't suck, maybe it's just a bad game that you might have been fooled into thinking that it's good.