Zero Punctuation: Metroid Prime Federation Force

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Given what has been going with Japanese game publishers lately, I've come to the conclusion that there is a current epidemic of the retard virus in Japan.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
So basically it's Nintendo's failed attempt at emulating Halo ODST, only forgetting about anything that made ODST good.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ExileNZ said:
So basically it's Nintendo's failed attempt at emulating Halo ODST, only forgetting about anything that made ODST good.
Considering that ODST was a lacklustre Halo game that focused on a squad of marines rather than its power-armoured protagonist, and considering the reception that Federation Force seems to have followed in its footsteps, I think they've replicated it quite well.

Piorn said:
Hey, I liked Metroid Prime 2!
Also, no jab at AM2R?
Given Yahtzee's personal preferences, AM2R is probably a game he enjoys.

rgrekejin said:
Starfox Command was a pretty good game (and one of the few Starfox games with an actual unique story) crippled by similarly poor controls.
Wait, what?

How was Star Fox's story unique? Maybe in its manner of delivery for its branching storylines, but it was stymied by repetitive missions, and an overall story that boils down to "the anglars (oh, don't you know they've been on Venom all this time) invade Lylat because...reasons." The one thing Command gave us was that it set up some potentially interesting plotlines (Marcus and Dash doing their own thing), but ones that Zero squandered by rebooting the series for a second time.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
The Prime series IS canon. Sakamoto supervised the three prime games and even said it was canon himself. This rumor is just the result of an bad translation.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
rgrekejin said:
darkrage6 said:
Yes thank you Yahtzee for shitting all over this terrible excuse for a Metroid game, another bad thing about this game is the graphics look horribly outdated, seriously they look like they could've been on the regular DS(Metroid Prime Hunters looked better)
Having recently replayed Metroid Prime: Hunters, please let me assure you that no, it really, really didn't.
Maybe that's cause I had the 3-D turned all the way up, all I know is FF locked really pixely and blocky when I played it.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Thanatos2k said:
And you're one of those "all old games must be worse" people, clearly. Super Metroid absolutely holds up.
Why? Because I'm not afraid to not hail it as the second coming of Christ like everyone else?
Because the game is great, and people have confirmed this for decades. The reason the word Metroid is in the genre called Metroidvania is because of Super Metroid, a game so good it defined a genre. At some point, you just have to chalk it up as some people have bad taste.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thanatos2k said:
Because the game is great, and people have confirmed this for decades. The reason the word Metroid is in the genre called Metroidvania is because of Super Metroid, a game so good it defined a genre. At some point, you just have to chalk it up as some people have bad taste.
Because as we all know, likes and dislikes are completely objective.

And I say that as someone who likes Super Metroid, even if I'm not as enamored with it as many others.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
People still own IoS's proves that Memberberries are real (and can take any form). Sort of the pre-alpha for a shoggoth.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Hawki said:
Thanatos2k said:
Because as we all know, likes and dislikes are completely objective.

And I say that as someone who likes Super Metroid, even if I'm not as enamored with it as many others.
If someone says they like Metroidvania games, and yet dislikes Super Metroid, a game that personified the elements that make up the genre they claim to like, it simply does not compute, objectively.

It is one of the two best Metroidvania games. We know what the other one is.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thanatos2k said:
If someone says they like Metroidvania games, and yet dislikes Super Metroid, a game that personified the elements that make up the genre they claim to like, it simply does not compute, objectively.
Wait, what?

Okay, let me give you a personal example. I like RTS games. That said, I really don't like Warcraft I, which, alongside Tiberian Dawn, did help establish a lot of the genre's conventions (and Dune, but that's more a 'proto-RTS'). I can recognise its influence, but I think it's aged terribly. By your own logic, by virtue of liking the RTS genre, I'm obliged to like a game that helped kickstart said genre.

So it's one thing to acknowledge that Super Metroid helped establish the "Metroidvania" genre alongside Symphony of the Night. That's a historical fact. Being obliged to like it however? Eh, not so much. It's also one step away from claiming that just because I like a series, I'm obliged to enjoy the first installment of that series. And I'll ask you, how many series are there where the first installment is considered the strongest? From experience, they're in a minority.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Hawki said:
Piorn said:
Hey, I liked Metroid Prime 2!
Also, no jab at AM2R?
Given Yahtzee's personal preferences, AM2R is probably a game he enjoys.
Nah, I meant "jab" as in "oh shame there aren't any proper Metroid games with Samus as the lead being made with care and love for detail anymore, how unfortunate!", you know, something sarcastic.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Hawki said:
Thanatos2k said:
Wait, what?

Okay, let me give you a personal example. I like RTS games. That said, I really don't like Warcraft I, which, alongside Tiberian Dawn, did help establish a lot of the genre's conventions (and Dune, but that's more a 'proto-RTS'). I can recognise its influence, but I think it's aged terribly. By your own logic, by virtue of liking the RTS genre, I'm obliged to like a game that helped kickstart said genre.

So it's one thing to acknowledge that Super Metroid helped establish the "Metroidvania" genre alongside Symphony of the Night. That's a historical fact. Being obliged to like it however? Eh, not so much. It's also one step away from claiming that just because I like a series, I'm obliged to enjoy the first installment of that series. And I'll ask you, how many series are there where the first installment is considered the strongest? From experience, they're in a minority.
But Super Metroid wasn't the first game in the series - that was Metroid 1. It was however, the best in the series. So if you don't like the BEST in the series that defined a genre, I'm going to say you got problems. Saying Warcraft 1 is not really playable now is fair (mostly for technological reasons), but suggesting you don't like Starcraft or Warcraft 3 while professing to like RTS games would be off. As I said before, they never made a better Metroid game than Super Metroid, and given it's certainly playable in the same state as it always was there's no legitimate reason to suggest it's not a great game.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Thanatos2k said:
Hawki said:
Thanatos2k said:
Wait, what?

So it's one thing to acknowledge that Super Metroid helped establish the "Metroidvania" genre alongside Symphony of the Night. That's a historical fact. Being obliged to like it however? Eh, not so much. It's also one step away from claiming that just becNausica?ike a series, I'm obliged to enjoy the first installment of that series. And I'll ask you, how many series are there where the first installment is considered the strongest? From experience, they're in a minority.
But Super Metroid wasn't the first game in the series - that was Metroid 1. It was however, the best in the series. So if you don't like the BEST in the series that defined a genre, I'm going to say you got problems. Saying Warcraft 1 is not really playable now is fair (mostly for technological reasons), but suggesting you don't like Starcraft or Warcraft 3 while professing to like RTS games would be off. As I said before, they never made a better Metroid game than Super Metroid, and given it's certainly playable in the same state as it always was there's no legitimate reason to suggest it's not a great game.
Since we're on the discussion of "Hating good media", could I bring up that I consider Studio Ghibli to be the most overrated anime company that I know of. Aside from Nausica? (The site needs to update their accepted characters list, the same thing happens when you spell Pok?mon properly) and Castle In the Sky, I really haven't caried for anything else of theirs I've seen.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thanatos2k said:
Declaring something to be "the best" is down to personal opinion, regardless of the genre. Also, even the StarCraft and Warcraft III analogy is flawed, because they're just one style of RTS, that play very differently from something like Civilization, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, or Homeworld, to name a few. Now I actually quite like those examples, even if the best RTS IMO is StarCraft II, but that's another issue.

Or maybe it isn't, because it brings us back to Super Metroid. Do I think it's a good game? Yes. Do I think it's influential on the genre? Yes, and that's about the only 'fact' one can throw around. Do I think it's the best Metroid game? No - personally I consider Zero Mission and Fusion to be superior, though the former is practically interchangeable in terms of me ranking them. Even if you go the route of acclaim via consensus, declaring it to be the best is debatable since Metroid Prime seems to be in close contention.

So, no, the only 'fact' one can throw around is that Super Metroid is influential for the genre. Well, that and most people consider it to be the best (Metroid Prime aside) installment in the series, but ascribing a judgement of quality as 'fact' isn't going to fly anywhere.