Zero Punctuation: Rage

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
believer258 said:
To be fair, Final Fantasy VII, like many RPG's in general, had tons of turn-based random encounters that stopped you every thirty fucking seconds so you could tap the same attack button until everything died. At least that's the impression I got of it after playing for two hours.
Yeah pretty much. I cannot tell you how much I raged when I accidentally wandered into a High-Leveled Monster area and ran out of supplies and the nearest town was about 3 goddamn miles away!
Random Encounters be damned!!!
Amazingly though, I never took the Yahtzee approach to fighting. Maybe I was the type of nerd who actually formulated a strategy when facing any monster and rarely ever just button mashed, unless Tifa was equipped with Haste.....

GOD I MISS IT!!! My Sado-Masochist Gaming personality has arisen!

*Runs off and plays Final Fantasy 7*

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's been obvious for a while now, the big game publishers shouldn't be making games anymore. It's all multi-million dollar engines with a game attached.

I wish I could say it'll change, but all the idiots who say "GRAFX DUN MADDUR" are the first ones to say how a new game doesn't look as good as an already released title.

So we're screwed.

Am I the only one who had no interest in this from the get-go? I remember seeing screens in PC Gamer a year or two ago and lost interest when I saw the scenery

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hey! Hey! No fair! In Fallout 3, you can wear jeans. Plenty of people do!

See? Clearly patched blue jeans with added pockets on the thighs and a brown hoodie.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Jennacide said:
krazykidd said:
OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.
This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.
Ain't that the truth. You always have to take what Yahtzee says with a bit of Salt.
Most of the games I love are the ones I've heard him bash the most.

- Devil May Cry 4
- Killzone 3
- Mortal Kombat
- God of War 3
- Metal Gear Solid Series

I honestly think that the only 2 games Yahtzee and I can agree on are the ever praised Shadow of the Colossus and Modern Warfare 1

The sad thing is that I see the same thing with Movie Bob fans who wait on his word on a movie like it's the damned voice of God!
I saw Transformers 3 without watching his review and I honestly think I enjoyed it better than I would have had I not heard his rabid manchild rant and his bashing of the fans

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Skeleon said:
Hey! Hey! No fair! In Fallout 3, you can wear jeans. Plenty of people do!

See? Clearly patched blue jeans with added pockets on the thighs and a brown hoodie.
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

[HEADING=2]BROWN ALERT!!![/HEADING]

Secondly those Jeans just scream Post-Apocalypse!
All patched up and ragged as if a mentally challenged and fingerless tailor had thrown them together in the last 10 minutes before shortly going out of business and being bought out by Old Navy :p

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
SickBritKid said:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...
Yo dude calm down man! We don't need to get up in arms about Yahtzee no liking a game. I love FF6, FF4 and FF7, but it is possible that people just don't tend to like it. Not because it was groundbreaking, but because not everyone is invested into RPGs.

No need to try and RAGE against Yahtzee (Hehehe it's a Pun). He has his preferences and we have ours. Love and Tolerance bro

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Diegolomac said:
Great review, I agree that the effort on visuals means that they put less time in making the game long and really compelling even though it has three discs.

Anyways, I wonder how the hell is Yahtzee going to review what comes from here to the end of December. Just in October releases, there's still Spidermand Edge of Time, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, X-men Destiny, Forza 4, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. And that's without counting the other, smaller ones, like Kinect titles he most certainly won't play.

November won't get any better, with Skyrim, Sonic Generations, Serious Sam 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings War in the North, etc, etc. I wonder if he'll start reviewing two games at once, if he'll review the remaining ones next year, or if he'll just ignore more than half of the releases.
I have a feeling that it's likely he'll ignore X-Men Destiny, Forza 4, Ace Combat, probably give a dismissive passing to Sonic Generations that makes everyone on here think it's the worst thing ever made (like with Sonic Colors), and I sincerely doubt he'd pay attention to Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings, and all of the other little ones. Skyrim, Serious Sam, Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare 3, Saints Row The Third, and possibly Uncharted 3/Skyward Sword are the ones I expect he'll take from next month. Granted, it's still a full schedule, so I think unless he just addresses them with mini-reviews in Extra Punctuation, a lot of those games will just be ignored.

OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in. Guess he doesn't have a super-computer resembling the Monolith anymore.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Madara XIII said:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

No clue what that's about, but...

All patched up and ragged as if a mentally challenged and fingerless tailor had thrown them together in the last 10 minutes before shortly going out of business and being bought out by Old Navy :p
...this is true. Considering how much pretentious idiots pay for store-sold torn jeans, these trousers would probably cost around 800 $, though.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Skeleon said:
Madara XIII said:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

...this is true. Considering how much pretentious idiots pay for store-sold torn jeans, these trousers would probably cost around 800 $, though.
I have never really considered buying torn jeans.
I want quality denim damn you! I prefer my pants with no holes in them other than the pockets and zipper!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Skeleon said:
Madara XIII said:
UPUPUPUPUPUP!!

Sorry, but Yahtzee and I have a disdain for the color brown and I agree that I get tired of seeing Shooters and Post Apocalypse focusing so much on the Color BROWN!!

We get it! It's a desolate, dirty and helpless color!
Ya know what else is brown? Something that rhymes with spit

Idk though, I just can't really get into the whole Mad Max vibe that games try and give

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, honestly I think there is a slightly more intense smell wafting from this review than usual.

Due to my playing of SWG addictively before it ends, I haven't been playing or finishing a lot of the games I've purchused (heck this is the usual state of affairs for me it seems), I did however give RAGE a shot since I'm a big post-apocolypic fanboy.

I wonder if Yahtzee even played the game because the very first thing that happens when your "yanked into a vehicle by a passing NPC" is that he talks about The Authority and how it's been hunting down those who awoke from the ARKS. The guys in the ARKS unlike what Yahtzee said, or Fallout, have been augemented into super soldiers, which explains why your character can do the FPS stuff, recover rapidly from injuries, and even revive from the dead. Your character has a substantial amount of implants. This is ALSO why awakening all of your characters buddies would bring doom to The Authority, since it would be like an army of versions of your character who have been wiping all of this stuff out knocking on their door (of course I haven't gotten that far).

Yahtzee talks about the lack of any real motivation involved in this game, but your given one from square one. The bad guys are trying to kill you on general principle as you represent a threat to them through your very existance.

As far as the name "The Authority" goes, I kind of thought they were trying to score some name recognition off the super hero team, especially looking at Wildstorm's post apocolyptic phase, even if there is no real connection thematically, but that could just be me.

What really gives this installment of ZP a bit of a reek though is that Yahtzee is praising the visuals for this game, which sounds a lot like the promotional release hype. By all accounts the game has been getting slammed due to problems with the visuals. especially on the PC (which is what I play, even though it's not terrible). I mean when "New Vegas" was released with 40 gajillion bugs that became a criticism, and really Rage is a giant- bug fest, that also has kind of failed to deliver in the visual department due to the problems that have been occuring even on consoles, the whole new engine that is supposed to render everything as one texture has delivered a lot of commentary, as have the lack of a lot of little details people expect in terms of supporting graphics and pop in. I know many people have commented on issues with proper shadows, and even their lack.

Hey, I'm probably wrong, but I almost suspect Yahtzee totally winged this one without actually having put in any time with the game. Either that, or he might even have been
paid to toss this one out there, sure it includes some insults and commentary, but it's not as biting as I'd expect his review of this game to be given all of it's reported problems, and really I see little indication from what he's actually said that he played this game.

Just a suspician, nothing I know for sure. It might just be an off week.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Kitsuna10060 said:
canadamus_prime said:
And thus we've hit one the major problem with current generation games.
all flash and no substance? yeah ... i miss games about something to :/
Pretty much, yeah. When a game comes on more than one CD I would expect that each CD to be worth at least 6-10 hours of gameplay a piece. When a game comes one more than one DVD I'd expect that each DVD to be worth twice that. The ratios of course vary by genre, but if it comes on 3 DVD it better not be 3 DVDs worth of flashy pixels and not much else.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I might actually get this. The bad things mentioned don't look too bad and if there's one way to endear me to a game, it's looking nice and enemies reacting nicely to being shot.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Do not despair you glorious cynic, Saints Row The Third (am I the only one who hates that title) is just around the corner.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Rage isn't even that impressive on the technical side, so I really don't see any positives to get it.