Zero Punctuation: Rage

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
fanklok said:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.
Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
The textures and models they are using now are taking a lot more space than the ones that were used during the making of FF7. If this was made during the FF7 era, it would be a single DVD, but this is not the case.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I remember when everyone was saying that rage looked like fallout 3 and Borderlands hooked up for an awkward night and had a love child, but now we can validate that statement.

JohnReaper

Jun 8, 2009
He does have a point though, Most shooters look at them selves and see Wizbangshooty fun, I look at most (MOST) shooters now and I see people dancing around a fire pit, speaking some strange chant, hoping to channel the lightning bolt that was the last top shooters (Doom, Halo (regrettably), MW(sickeningly) and by loose definition Fallout) instead of actually looking at what they have that other game types don't, you know, pick up and play, the little need for 5 different items that all do the same damn thing but in slightly diffrent ways (RPGs I look at you), and the masses that see a shooter and say "Hmmm it looks good, might as well try" most likely buying it. They have the ability to you know, TELL A STORY, but then again, that's a whole can of worms that I kinda feel the technology isn't up to the task to do (Shooters anyway, well most of them) since if you like the other Charactors storywise they better be worth having around gameplay wise, other wise you'll probably cap them your self if they die and its instant game over.

TL;DR
Shooters have alot in their favor right now, but it feels like anyone trying to tell a story is stuck fighting against Halo Clone #32, or Doom Resurrection attempt #1051, so story goes out the window. Along with fun, and all his friends. (And don't tell me that Halo has a story, I played all three of them and all I got was , Alien bad, you good).

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Urh said:
fanklok said:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.
Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...
You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
JohnReaper said:
(And don't tell me that Halo has a story, I played all three of them and all I got was , Alien bad, you good).
Then you really, really need to pay closer attention (though those clones, on the other hand, can go get fucked by a solid rod of originality, since they clearly need it). And also, stop trying to impress Yahtzee by agreeing with every opinion he holds, it won't work (he doesn't read comments).

OT: You know what the annoying thing about Facebook comments is? I'll post what I think on there, come here, see a post worth responding to and then be left with nothing to say in the OT section that hasn't already been said. So move along, nothing to see here.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You know? If I wanted a good looking shooter that plays well and has really good animations, plus a shitty story, I'd go back and play some more Killzone 3. At least I don't have to swap disks with that game and it still looks better than Rage.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I'm really not in the market for a new FPS anytime soon as I have Gears 3 and the upcoming Halo Anniversary to tide me over for the next year or so. But, the review pretty much confirmed what I already suspected about Rage. meh.

Also, WHY do I have to watch an unskippable ad for some cruddy "girl dying from cancer" film before the video, and WHY do I have to watch the video within a full two-inch thick border of adverts? Does the escapist insist on doing this for all video content on the site, or just the successful stuff, i.e. Zero Punctuation?

At this rate, you'll soon have to fill in a compulsory commercial survey before each ZP, and while you watch you get popunders for Live Jasmin.... :/

bor3ds0ul

Apr 8, 2008
The premise of the game sounded oddly like Half Life 2. The people of the world are waiting for a hero (Gordon Freeman) to free them from an oppressive technocratic authority (The combine)

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
VulakAerr said:
You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.
Whereas you are wrong. Skyrim is on brand new in-house tech, not the butchered and patched together cyborg remains of whatever the hell it was Bethesda did to the rather fine Gamebryo engine.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
About fucking time, Ben.

I've been looking at this Fallout3 clone for a while and you bring up some good points that I was looking at. If all you have to complain about is the shitty plot and that the minigames are unfocused, it can't really be that bad. The story seems like it's trying to make you think you have the choice whether to be the grand hero or not, unlike in Fallout3 where it's forced upon you like an American on a baconator.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
It's kind of like Resistance 3's argument. It's a graphical upgrade on a good game rather than a new exciting game that merely borrowed some references from the previous good game, only Rage is based on Fallout 3 while Resistance is Half-Life.

Ah well. Not like i was planning to invest in anything this shooter season. I've been planning to check out Saint's Row: The Third and already bought Batman: Arkham City, but yeah. No way in fucking hell am i blowing money on anything published by Bethesda until i get it in golden flaming writing that they didn't publish it prematurely again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.
I can see no flaw in their plan.

Anyway, don't care much about Rage, but it was an entertaining episode, if for no other reason than the commentary on our rather bulemic "Triple A" titles.

I actually remember the time when games were going to start using DVD as a medium for consoles and people were like, "wow! With what they can do on CD, imagine what they can do on DVD!"

Final Fantasy VII was one of the major sources of that hope, too.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Ah, nothing like good old cynical bashing of a game to liven up my day. Had it a better PC reception, I might have bought the game, but I'm glad I still have my dollar 60.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Traun said:
The textures and models they are using now are taking a lot more space than the ones that were used during the making of FF7. If this was made during the FF7 era, it would be a single DVD, but this is not the case.
Don't you think he knows that? The point he was making is that fixating so much on graphics technology has forced developers to skip on actual substantial content, which is a very bad thing.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed Rage but I think I was looking more forward to hearing Yahtzee shit all over it, glad I was not disappointed. Now...onto Dark Souls next week...

JayDeth said:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?
What hype? All every single gaming site ever talked about for weeks up until release day was Dark Souls, which explains why tons of people didn't know anything about the game and just called it Borederlands 1.5 because of the wasteland setting + the buggies. Then when they bought it, and realized it wasn't Fallout or Borderlands they went crying to the forums.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Predictable line about Fallout, shame it had to be precisely Fallout 3. Especially since only Fallout 1 has the protagonist actually be from said Vault rather than just being let into it or a descendant of The Vault Dweller.