Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
oblivion328 said:
I suppose. But I still say that if you you base your decision solely on Yahtzee's reviews, you're gonna miss out on plenty of great games. I enjoy Zero Punctuation as much as anyone else, but he does play up the flaws in a lot of games for humorous effect.
Totally true; sure listen to what criticisms Yahtzee doles out (and praise on the rare occasion) but don't take it too seriously. Don't base your decision to buy a certain game entirely on his opinion and experiences. I mean that whole business about his horse getting stuck into a wall has never happened to me once, and I've played the game for 20+ hours. And the same goes for all his other glitches.

He knows that people aren't as interested when he gives praise to a game, that's why he abruptly and briefly threw out all that stuff about it being beautiful looking, beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric at the end following it up with some semi-insult. If he went on about all its many good points in length then it wouldn't be as humourous. Thus he plays up the cracks.

I personally thought the main problem with Red Dead was it could get slightly repetitive or at the least predictable. Whenever you got on a carriage or accompanied some mission important person on a horse gangs of marauding horse-riders would attack you in several waves. That I felt happened too often. If however you spaced out your game time it wasn't too bad. But then of course almost every main mission involved shooting somebody. I do wish they'd injected a bit more variety throughout. That's why the last few missions which didn't involve chases or killing people were actually kinda refreshing.

Oh and the 'Red Dead' part of the title...
actually becomes quite at near the end when Marston dies in a pool of his own red blood in an act of selfless sacrifice which makes his redemption complete. Quite smart actually, they tell you the ending in the title, sorta. You didn't think of that did ya Yahtzee you callipygian superman.

May 26, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Does anyone else think that Green Spleen Submarine should be the name of a band?
Not that anyone's ever going to notice this post, as late as it is.
I notice you! Don't feel unloved!

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So, good game with terrible controls and some crappy mechanics? So many games these days put zero thought in to the control scheme, which can go pretty far towards fucking up an otherwise good experience.

grand theft horse & purple monkey dishwasher! lol

Giantcain

Oct 29, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Damn those cute mountain lions

I always feel bad when i kill a animal in this game and then skin it
there not cute when the model changes for a model of a human being but acts like a mountain lion

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
Dont agree at all with u saying John marston is the same type of guy as nico bellic.
U can choose to be bad, but marston is a good and polite guy.
And the stuff u usally do are things like helping people or killing bad guys.
The game want u to be a good guy.

ashame with all the glitches though, even though sum are really hilarious XD

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Does anyone else think that Green Spleen Submarine should be the name of a band?
Not that anyone's ever going to notice this post, as late as it is.
i noticed it to, can`t u just feel the luve^_^
btw that would be a nice name for a band:p

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Red Dead Redemption looked pretty interesting to me. Western style games like DarkWatch was entertaining to play as it was to watch someone play. Not sure if RDR is the same thing, but I would be willing to give it a try.

CycloKyle

Mar 1, 2010
Great review as always. I want this game but I'm hesitant to make a purchase due to the abundance of bugs.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Edward123454321 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Edward123454321 said:
ryno707 said:
don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3. -snip
Do you honestly think different consoles get designers to use entirely different physics engines?

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post, my eyes might just bleed. ;)
Edward: I must say it would be interesting to try and see a company justify it all if the pulled that stunt. "Well you see in the XBOX 360 game, gravity is stronger, so good luck if you try to shoot someone from more than two feet or make your horse go at a somewhat decent pace" HAHA
Haha yeah that'd be a tough on to explain, do you own all the consoles then?
I wasn't the one who started this, but I will say that I play on a PS-3 and I have not seen ANY of the glitches Yahtzee and other reviewers have reported. Nor have I seen many reports of this kind of thing from players in general on forums like Gamefaqs. I mean there is an occasional referance to this or that, or a freeze up, or whatever, but nothing like the surrealistic glitch world some would have you believe this game produces.

This leads me to believe that reviewers were either provided with unpolished test copies for free or something (not sure, since it's hard to tell when someone is buying a game to review, or being sent a copy. I've gotten the impression both happens in Yahtzee's case), or ironically that some of the reviewers might be pirating buggy copies or something (as unlikely as it might seem).

No way to know for sure. As I've said before, it seems to me that there are more reviewers talking about wierd glitches than there are gamers and typically when a game is a glitch fest the whining is non-stop... and I just don't see that here.

monkeehands

Jun 11, 2010
Who is the guy whose photo he uses at 1:08? He uses it all the time and he looks familiar but I can't place him.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
So like most of today's new games game play is wankered on as so consoletards can have more stuff to play and buy.......willingly..........

Mekarex31

Jun 16, 2010
While i'm sure this review was mainly ment to be funny, and it is, as a review it's not very good. One, while the controls are pretty much the same as GTA anyone who has ever played GTA 4 knows how horrible the shooting mechanic is and it made me extremely frustrated but in RDR I did not have that frustration since it was much more polished though not perfect.
Two, glitches? Yeah there are a few but making it sound like the game is full of them and implying that it takes away from game play is horribly misleading. I have no idea how anyone is complaining this much about glitches in RDR cause I for sure as hell am not getting anything other than the occasional pop-up in the background and a few hiccups in multiplayer, When people say that this game is filled to the brim with bugs I usually find out that they have not even played the game, at least not very much. If you want to see alot of glitches in an open world game then play Fallout 3 then just try to tell me that RDR has more, then i'll know you're bullshiting.
Three, you really never have to sprint on foot in RDR, there is really no nead when your regular run is much faster than in GTA, sprinting in RDR BARELY speeds you up so its just not worth using.
Four, When someone cannot be bothered to figure out that auto-aim can be turned off, seeing how easy it is to do so, it really tells me that it's a shame review.

So while it's a really funny video, it's a bad review cause when you look at it and other reviews you really can't tell if this guy played the game or not cause he could have gleamed all of this off of others very easily. Is the game perfect? no(none are). Is the game revolutionary? no. Is it a well made game? yes. Is it fun to play? very.

Doo Doo Johnson

Jun 16, 2010
Review was pretty much "Red Dead" right on in my opinion. Beautiful sandbox, beautiful story, complete time sink. Most difficult thing for me was being able to afford enough pot to make the Xbox Achievements attainable.

The review doesn't say "don't play it", it says you can stand on your head with the controller upside down and 2 fingers in your arse, yet still find a way to head-shot 58 Mexicans and awkwardly mosey on to the next cake-walk mission.

No challenge whatsoever, but worth eating a few xanax and drooling your way through 10-20 hours of purty gameplay.

Tied up whores on the train tracks FTW. God bless you, Rockstar.