Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
@floppylobster:

> Some videogames have a storyline making you feel like your accomplishments are getting you
> somewhere. Such as Shadow of the Colossus. These are Games (tm)

And I'm pretty sure you sunk quite some time into Shadow of the Colossus in order to get that feeling of accomplishment. Hence it's a Time Sink(R). In fact, all activities we do are Time Sinks(R). We sink time into activities we do, that's how time flows. An absolute until further notice. And that's why whenever I hear someone use the wording Time Sink(R) in a sentence, its sheer pointlessness envelops and irks me.

The point you raise about accomplishment is unrelated to the Time Sink(R) issue, but it is easily mistaken and, of course, perfectly valid. Therefore, I'd prefer it infinitely more if people (and most of all, reviewers) would rather talk about that than to employ the dreadful, empty Time Sink(R) nomenclature, as it says nothing at all and I'd prefer it if reviewers gave us information rather than nada.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I Thought you were going to do "an other one of those cross-dressing art competitions" (Call of Juarez)? Or was this game just so bad that it didn't matter?

vitorpio

May 31, 2010
GTA 4 with new beatiful graphics. absolutly stupid gunplay, no fun at all, stupid characters that keeps philosophying while galloping in direction of 30 guys armed to the teeth that shoots you in the face before you shoot in theirs faces. i mean, it is ok to have an unrealistic game, i love them very much. but not when one game that 'tries' to be realistc in all other aspects of his gameplay EXCEPT in the gunplay, witch is the most importante thing in a BOUNTY HUNTER game. tension in shooting. theres no tension, nothing, been sent to a mission in this game is like being asked by your wife to go buy some breads in the bakery. stupid. i could have done better.
money. stupid too. you do all those shit for nothing. you got a wholle new world in there that o you cant do nothing with. the very old story that the industry persist in not change, and when some guys trie to change, they do it wrong (coff molyneux coff).
well, stupid. better luck next time.

and excuse the bad english, im brazilian, no english here. just in propaganda.

Dupeo

Mar 10, 2009
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:
He shouldn't ***** about travel time in a game that offers free instant travel.
What the options that is easily missed? I realized that I could travel to my waypoint with camping and coaches after I beat the game and most of the treasure hunting challenges. They should of covered that in the manual.
The options that is easily missed because you're dumb. The options that is easily missed is for to you to read the in game tips like players should of. The options that is easily missed is to go back to Grade where you should of learned how to read. These are the options that is easily missed.

Edward123454321

Mar 31, 2010
Therumancer said:
Edward123454321 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Edward123454321 said:
ryno707 said:
don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3. -snip
Do you honestly think different consoles get designers to use entirely different physics engines?

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post, my eyes might just bleed. ;)
Edward: I must say it would be interesting to try and see a company justify it all if the pulled that stunt. "Well you see in the XBOX 360 game, gravity is stronger, so good luck if you try to shoot someone from more than two feet or make your horse go at a somewhat decent pace" HAHA
Haha yeah that'd be a tough on to explain, do you own all the consoles then?
I wasn't the one who started this, but I will say that I play on a PS-3 and I have not seen ANY of the glitches Yahtzee and other reviewers have reported. Nor have I seen many reports of this kind of thing from players in general on forums like Gamefaqs. I mean there is an occasional referance to this or that, or a freeze up, or whatever, but nothing like the surrealistic glitch world some would have you believe this game produces.

This leads me to believe that reviewers were either provided with unpolished test copies for free or something (not sure, since it's hard to tell when someone is buying a game to review, or being sent a copy. I've gotten the impression both happens in Yahtzee's case), or ironically that some of the reviewers might be pirating buggy copies or something (as unlikely as it might seem).

No way to know for sure. As I've said before, it seems to me that there are more reviewers talking about wierd glitches than there are gamers and typically when a game is a glitch fest the whining is non-stop... and I just don't see that here.
Yes I agree, it's nothing like it was with Fallout 3, where people complained a shit load. (Love that game regardless)

I think Yahtzee, however, probably had these glitches happen once, maybe twice, and just exagerates it, seeing as he's ultimately a comedian, and people only find him funny when he's being a pessimistic knob, even when he's nitpicking or pulling shit out of his ass. (Love him regardless)

Spydiggity

Feb 28, 2010
game number 3 we disagree on, 2 in the same night. while i share many of your observations, there are many things which i'm willing to overlook in favor of ambition. it's innovation that the industry needs, and these things provide it.

yeah glitches exist...it's a huge, multilayered, open world game.

story is interesting, gameplay is mostly fun, unfavorable glitches are few, and your mom is..well...a slut. works out well for us all, and for 60 dollars you can and have done worse...your "mum" excluded.

Slipslop

Feb 24, 2009
I really love how Yahtzee thinks, the summary of this game really hit it on the nail, "a beautiful timesink". But if you like the GTA style gameplay, this game is absolutely worth getting, i played through it and i enjoyed it.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
Dupeo said:
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:
What the options that is easily missed? I realized that I could travel to my waypoint with camping and coaches after I beat the game and most of the treasure hunting challenges. They should of covered that in the manual.
The options that is easily missed because you're dumb. The options that is easily missed is for to you to read the in game tips like players should of. The options that is easily missed is to go back to Grade where you should of learned how to read. These are the options that is easily missed.
Here are three point wrong with your post:

1) What "Grade"? To "go back to Grade" does not make senses. You need to say a specific grade or no one will understand what your talking about; Grade is incorrect due to capitalization.

2) Why not have in the booklet that comes with the game. You may not come across the particulate tip that says you can fast travel to your way point. It may of been blurry, I could of been away from the screen, or I may on not been able to read it all. I am aware that you can fast travel to a city/settlement, they explain that. However, I was not aware that you could fast travel your way point.

3) Many, including Yahtzee, did not know about the fast travel to your way point. You made an insult, a verbal attack, not only to me but everyone that did not know that. Once again, including Yahtzee.

GETbacon

Oct 13, 2009
You Know Yahtzee ,Not that you'll care, There are cars in the game ,model T's to be precise (E-PENIS LEVEL UP!), but as far as any one is concerned their just interactive props but their near the end of the game (as well as binoculars which Rockstar though would be useless for early part's) but the videos up, I realize there just your oppinons and experiences. Also we can't expect you to go thru every game completely and produce an entertaining video every wensday.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:

1) What "Grade"? To "go back to Grade" does not make senses. You need to say a specific grade or no one will understand what your talking about; Grade is incorrect due to capitalization.

2) Why not have in the booklet that comes with the game. You may not come across the particulate tip that says you can fast travel to your way point. It may of been blurry, I could of been away from the screen, or I may on not been able to read it all. I am aware that you can fast travel to a city/settlement, they explain that. However, I was not aware that you could fast travel your way point.

3) Many, including Yahtzee, did not know about the fast travel to your way point. You made an insult, a verbal attack, not only to me but everyone that did not know that. Once again, including Yahtzee.
But it was not an easy thing to miss, mate.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how you went through the entire game without figuring out that you could fast travel to your way point. That's just mind blowing. As he said, the game gave tips during every bloody loading screen (I must have saw that one 50x) and again -- I can't believe you didn't just one time try to initiate fast travel with a way point already set.

While it is strange that it's not in the instruction manual, a lot of other things aren't either. They seemed to stick with necessity rather than a luxury that wasn't hard to miss.

Out of curiosity, what makes Yahtzee so special that he doesn't deserve the same criticism? This problem was swiftly removed by merely paying attention. There are not special loading screen tips that are blurry or difficult to read. They all have the same size and font.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
AllLagNoFrag said:
godcommazilla said:
Yay!!!!!

.......bet he's gonna hate it.
Well then great job on just rushing to post just to be first.

Great review haha @ the ripping of all gta's. Managing to actually pick out bad points of an overall solid game.

Mountain Lion ftw!
It's not ripping off if it's the same developer. Who did you think he said made it, "Dock Car"?
Also, I'm assuming that Yahtzee is talking 360, because no-one I know who got it on PS3 have experienced any glitches at all.
Oh, but mine just froze, screen still there, once. Probably my fault for jumping a four-horse heavy wagon off a cliff and trying to ride around the rocky terrain on it. I guess the game was stopping me from doing something I would deeply regret.
Also, this being RockStar, I'm disappointed by the inability to swim. Maybe it's more realistic if a gunslinger can't swim. Maybe it helps with immersion. And maybe the online community should step up its game and actually kill me now and then instead of (actually happened continuously for 3 hours in free roam with different players) running away, and, when they do shoot, being killed before their bullet can even be fired.
And no, I don't use multiplayer Dead Eye except when fighting NPCs in the little challenge things.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
Dr. Danger said:
lonercs said:
But it was not an easy thing to miss, mate.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how you went through the entire game without figuring out that you could fast travel to your way point. That's just mind blowing. As he said, the game gave tips during every bloody loading screen (I must have saw that one 50x) and again -- I can't believe you didn't just one time try to initiate fast travel with a way point already set.

While it is strange that it's not in the instruction manual, a lot of other things aren't either. They seemed to stick with necessity rather than a luxury that wasn't hard to miss.

Out of curiosity, what makes Yahtzee so special that he doesn't deserve the same criticism? This problem was swiftly removed by merely paying attention. There are not special loading screen tips that are blurry or difficult to read. They all have the same size and font.
I do not have the best TV so all the tips were quite blurry, plus I do not really read them a lot. Also I DID see "waypoint" on my fast travel a few time in Mexico. I was looking for a certain town, I though waypoint was a specific place on the map, like a landmark. After I beat the game, I either seen the tip afterward or was just curious to know what "waypoint" was. I was how I found out.

As for Yathzee being special, I'll admit I was using his name against you. I assume you are fan of his work and therefore would take back your statement. Since he missed it, and you called me an idiot for missing it as well. I implied that you were calling Yathzee an idiot as well. At that point, if you stuck by your point (while being hostile), I was going to try get the fanboys go after you.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
lonercs said:
I do not have the best TV so all the tips were quite blurry, plus I do not really read them a lot. Also I DID see "waypoint" on my fast travel a few time in Mexico. I was looking for a certain town, I though waypoint was a specific place on the map, like a landmark. After I beat the game, I either seen the tip afterward or was just curious to know what "waypoint" was. I was how I found out.

As for Yathzee being special, I'll admit I was using his name against you. I assume you are fan of his work and therefore would take back your statement. Since he missed it, and you called me an idiot for missing it as well. I implied that you were calling Yathzee an idiot as well. At that point, if you stuck by your point (while being hostile), I was going to try get the fanboys go after you.
Well, I can't fault you for having a shoddy television. That used to be my problem as well until I got a new one. That's ironically how I figured out the waypoint quick travel too. I had set up camp while having a waypoint set and saw it there. That said, I only clicked it to see what it even meant. Funny because the connection should have been obvious. They even let you do that in GTA, I believe. Rockstar must be smart enough not to advertise quick travelling too much since it means missing out on the world they had to painstakingly detail.

I'm not the one who called you an idiot. You were bantering with a bloke called "Dupeo" and I chimed in. Yahtzee was likely only complaining for comedic effect. I would prefer he didn't gripe about travelling in a video game designed for it. Especially if the option to quick travel is avaliable.

UkibyTheMaid

Aug 11, 2009
Now that I already played this game for a while, this video became a lot funnier XD

I also hate having to press x to run >_> Whose idea was that???? What happened to the 'move the left stick just a little to walk or push it real hard to run' mechanics? Those used to work fine.

Dupeo

Mar 10, 2009
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:
lonercs said:
Dupeo said:

Thank you for giving three point wrong with my post.
And yes that was an insult to people who did not understand that particulate tip. I think people that don't understand that particulate tip deserve to be insulted for not understanding that particulate tip. There are plenty of load screens and I know I have seen that particulate tip many times and since I can read I understood that particulate the first time I saw it.

tobe mayr

Apr 30, 2008
Funny how this review seems to miss the point of the game. Reminds me of the one about Demon's Souls.
Atmosphere and setting are part of the game experience, especially in the context of escapism.
Anyway, listing mainly technical glitches isn't really much of a critical view on the game, as it only covers minor aspects. Hope this was because of the weather.

Plumbomatic

Jul 2, 2010
crotalidian said:
I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this game. I'm only renting for consoles right now and currently am wandering through Heavy rain. may have to shift this one up the list for a quick Shufty (anyone non-english do not ask what a shufty is you wont understand)

Dupeo said:
true but insta travel breaks immersion which is the best part of a good sandbox game
You can't ***** about travel times when there's fast travel. If you want immersion then you can't ***** about travel times because you don't have to walk/ride everywhere.