Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

EddySpaghetti

Feb 13, 2010
MaxChaos said:
pedroREE said:
heh, reviews God of War III
I noticed that too. Hehe.

Also, it's quite funny all the people wanting to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED by posting before they've even watched the damn thing.
Sooo some ppl know the exact moment of upload woow...get a fkin life....
P.S. what time is it?...xD

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Wow, could this be the first step in Wii technology? As you said, it's only been 3 years >.<

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
A Reboot reference, an Alucard rip-off, cats with assault rifles...

Let it not be said that ZP doesn't have something for everybody.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Gaming King said:
Baron_BJ said:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.
TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.
I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Gammaj4 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch
Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

I hope you're referring to the game itself and not Yahtzee's review. It would seem that according to Yahtzee the combat is decent but nothing else is.

Stickfigure

Oct 31, 2007
I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Gaming King said:
Baron_BJ said:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.
TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.
I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

Glad you're looking at Other M. I personally think that's a badass-sounding title and can't wait to find out the meaning. It controls NES-style, with few buttons, and a + Control Pad. No motion as far as anyone knows. But Metroid has done motion controls right in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Get Metroid Prime Trilogy if you like first person games AT ALL.

If you haven't heard of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, you don't play fighting games and you're REALLY missing out.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Haha, brilliant one this week though it seems you quite enjoyed this one, aside from the seemingly easy difficulty curve.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Eh. I found the episode mediocre in quality. As a whole I think Yahtzee has been on the descent in quality, but I'm sure that's just me.

On topic, I love Red Steel 2. The motion controls add an energy that really can't be replicated in any other game right now.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
Gaming King said:
You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average.
Hey I'm opened minded, care to list any of them?

Gaming King said:
Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.
Ah, so the madness finally sets in.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
i laughed at the part where he said that after a fight since he was holding the sword vertically the characther looks up the sky like in retrospective

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Excellent review, I'm looking forward to No More Heroes 2 review, if you do one.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
It doesn't because the gameplay would become a mess. Blocking is 1:1...

At least, that's the excuse the devs came up with.

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.
I don't doubt for a moment that any martial art is difficult (they don't look easy at all, either.) I just figured that by now, with millions of wannabe-Jedi and/or fanboi-samurai out there there'd be a game that gave them what they want: realistic swordplay without the nicks and bruises unchecked cosplay-swordfighting can bring.

I bet the first-aid stations at anime conventions go through a lot of Band-Aids, Bactine, and boo-boo kissing.

I guess there're still boffers [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_weapon] for the physically motivated.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
Hrm what sort of hardcore can be used for the wii controller huh....whelp seems the thing is that question could remain unanswered because hardcore isn't really a part of Nintendo's stance.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
You asked at the end, what sort of scenario would the Motion plus really work for.

What about a Castlevania game? The motion control would work well as the series' canonical whip.

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
I loved how he ragged on Nintendo for taking three years to make the Wii do what people have been expecting it to do from the release.

It actually seems like he enjoyed this game though, that kinda surprised me. But I'm happy he found some enjoyment, cause the poor guy really needs something. (Like a GF, seriously what is with all the wanking refs these days)

Also, I too hope to see him review Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as well

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Stickfigure said:
I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

I think you have a really good point there. I agree that the lack of mouse control puts console RTS games at a big disadvantage. But what hadn't occurred to me before is that the Wiimote would theoretically make a good substitute.

However, I'm still highly skeptical of the idea of RTS games being successful on the Wii because they generally seem to be in contrast with the kind of games that have made the Wii popular like Wii Sports for example.