Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
The best was saved for last. It has been a long time since I was last caught off-guard and LOLed spontaneously, a great "out of thin air" moment which is definitely appreciated.

And that's why I tune in every week.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Whoops, forgot to hit "quote".

Yeah, this does not convince me I want a Wii. Entertaining review, though, and it's good to hear Yahtzee's voice recovering.

To the person who was wondering about Reboot:

...wow you make me feel old.

Reboot is a cartoon from the 90s that was about people who lived in computers and had to defeat "games" in order to surivive. It was pretty freakin awesome, NGL.

J-Dude

Dec 16, 2009
PaulH said:
Well spoken J-Dude ... although I dispute the terminology 'Hardcore/Softcore' ... games are games.

Dr. Mario for example. Strategic, Tetris-like puzzle game of fiendish difficulty sometimes. Always asomething new in that game ... different clusters of bugs, to different levesl of gameplay. Loads of replayability.

Is a 'Hardcore' title really that 'hardcore' if all it does is have guns and deathmatch?

I position the question, with ninty's upcoming wii exclusive, Monster Hunter Tri .... all the monster hunters have 100's hours of replayability ...(no, really, Hard to believe but true) ... the game doesn't 'end'

There's no story to end it ...

The monsters can be fiendish in their difficulty and every foil to the big bad monsters rely on a triple threat of skill, game knowledge, and equipment/item loadout from the player...

Compared to Splinter Cell, or MW 2 ... 5 hours a piece of single player campaign, a little co-op/online functionality (albeit MW2 online functionality can kiss the original's ass, because it is SO much better).

What's more 'Hardcore'?

Keep in mind MH3 will have both Split Screen co-op and online functionality (for 4 player parties).

I have all 3 consoles, and a good gaming rig ... and I haven't touch my PS3 or my Xbox in ages... for me personally Wiimote + Keyboard and mouse = definitive gameplay experience and are the true 'hardcore' experiences.
I personally define "hardcore" and "casual" in terms of innate difficulty. Subject matter is irrelevant, but it must be admitted that most games you'd find outside the Wii will likely tell the player once how to perform a certain action and then fling them into the game. Lets face it, when I refer to a "casual" gamer, I'm not so much referring to the people who play games but only ever now and then, as I am to the people who can count on one hand how many times they've held a controller. Ever watch your parents struggle to grasp what are in your opinion, very BASIC controls and are ultimately defeated by the game's equivalent of a Goomba? This is what I'd consider a casual gamer. We "hardcores" are the ones who have mastered the basics better than we realize and are adapted to guiding a game avatar through a game world so well that we can pick up and play just about every game and have SOME idea of what to do.

I know, that probably will get the people who play every game on hard and do things like enter options for "no vita chambers" in Bioshock a bit upset, but the truth is most games are gamers games, expecting, nay, demanding that after a short demonstration you're prepared to do it for real, whereas a new gamer will panic and go, "No, wait, what was that button again? Press X to not what?? What's X? Oh God, what is that! ARGH!!!"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe...Alucard! Yay!

Nice review, made me chuckle expecilly near the end with the whole odd, nearly trance like state you wre playing in =P

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
God, and I thought ReBoot had been completely forgotten ^^

And for the record, I'm sure it's very nice, but I'll admit that the Wii is a serious gaming system before I pay ten bucks to watch hi-res vids.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
EddySpaghetti said:
uhh i'm in Milano (Italy) what time wod that be here??? (excuse my super dumbness)
It would be 1800 (6 o' clock) your time, I believe! And you're not being dumb: the only way to get answers is to ask questions! :)

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
AceInTheHole16 said:
WTF's Reboot?
Oh my God... shut up. Just shut up. I might bring brimsonte down upon your head if you say anything else.

ReBoot was the FIRST fully virtual animated television show brought to us by Mainframe Entertainment. It was a comuter themed show with various jokes and a darkening story as the audience grew older. The show was frowm the same animators as Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Heavy Gear, and lately the Fairy Scare mother and Tony Hawk crap that has been playing on Cartoon Network.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
Another entertaining review. I played and enjoyed the first "No More Heroes" and quite liked the controls, however inaccurate they were. I wonder how much of an improvement the Motion Plus really is over that.

EddySpaghetti

Feb 13, 2010
MaxChaos said:
EddySpaghetti said:
uhh i'm in Milano (Italy) what time wod that be here??? (excuse my super dumbness)
It would be 1800 (6 o' clock) your time, I believe! And you're not being dumb: the only way to get answers is to ask questions! :)
Hehehehe cool thank you dude...uhh do u perhaps use a ps3? online that is...

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
The Hobbes part was cool, I actually am dating the daughter of Bill Watterson's friend, they both went to high school in Chagrin Falls together, and are good friends ^^ I'm that cool

I've asked before, but I'm going to keep trying, especially since we all know your hatred for the Wii, since the Wii is not your fav. system, which do you prefer to play on, X360 or PS3? Or do you really not care either way?

trent08

Jan 13, 2010
I had the first one it wasn't that good, but im thinking of getting this one now. The only problem is i don't have wii motion plus

Comte de Frou Frou

Apr 9, 2010
"looking like an episode of Reeboot" I used to love that program :) It was animated by the same dudes who did the Money For Nothing video for the Dire Straights. ;)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
J-Dude said:
I personally define "hardcore" and "casual" in terms of innate difficulty. Subject matter is irrelevant, but it must be admitted that most games you'd find outside the Wii will likely tell the player once how to perform a certain action and then fling them into the game. Lets face it, when I refer to a "casual" gamer, I'm not so much referring to the people who play games but only ever now and then, as I am to the people who can count on one hand how many times they've held a controller. Ever watch your parents struggle to grasp what are in your opinion, very BASIC controls and are ultimately defeated by the game's equivalent of a Goomba? This is what I'd consider a casual gamer. We "hardcores" are the ones who have mastered the basics better than we realize and are adapted to guiding a game avatar through a game world so well that we can pick up and play just about every game and have SOME idea of what to do.

I know, that probably will get the people who play every game on hard and do things like enter options for "no vita chambers" in Bioshock a bit upset, but the truth is most games are gamers games, expecting, nay, demanding that after a short demonstration you're prepared to do it for real, whereas a new gamer will panic and go, "No, wait, what was that button again? Press X to not what?? What's X? Oh God, what is that! ARGH!!!"
Not really, pretty much out of home by age 10 :p

But in relation to your topic, i'm drawing on your inference that a hardcore game needn't explain to you gameplay specifics BECAUSE it assumes that you've played something much likte it in the past?

So a 'Canon' shooter being presented to a 'standard hardcore gamer' needn't explain to you in game, that right trigger shoots, left trigger - grenades, etc etc?

But surely this shouldn't be the goal of games.

If 'hardcore gamers' were truly worried about the concept of games becoming too 'samey' then anything that attempts to create something that postmodernity-style 'jams' you from immersion to make you recognise that you're playing something unlike anything else should automatically be WELCOMED by gamers? :]

In the truest sense, a truly 'hardcore gamer' must accept that the value of a game comes from learning how to best it by utilising aspects of it that are traditionally not aspects of what is the 'norm' for that genre, not about using what's familiar in genres in the most familiarised way.

Because as most gamers would tout, 'familiarity breeds contempt', originality in new IPs are necessary.

As having played this game, I can certainly say that this is the case with Red Steel 2... it delivers a new experience, with grand precision, and exceptional drive.

As such is also the case with Wii's premiere shooter Metroid Prime 3 .... the third person action/adventure/(very slight)rpg Fragile: Sayonara Tsuki no haikyou, MoH Heroes 2, Madworld, No More Heroes (1 & 2), upcoming Monster Hunter Tri, list goes on

Like other console shooters, the wii has some awesome games, and even if they are of the same genre, the learning curve in how to use the controls is much higher than shooters on the PS3 and XB360....

Surely if gamers (particularly 'Hardcore' as you define) we're truly welcoming of change, they should snap up the wii because it offers crucially different gaming styles even within the same genre. If only because it gives them the sense that they can truly conquer any game.

In the end, the wii delivers an experience that is critically overlooked on the PS3 and 360 ... and as such it would be foolish to simply tout that console as 'childish' when the Nintendo has , literally, created a 'paradgm shift' in the way we perceive games and gameplay ... Not only that GOOD wii games are EXTREMELY enjoyable ... and simply would not work on any other platform....

Am I the only one to think that this is a GOOD thing, and that originality and new gameplay ideas SHOULD be pursued to their logical limits? I personally do not view the wii in concepts of 'hardcore/casual' ... I view it as concept shattering.