Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
While I do absolutely love this game, I have to admit this was still pretty funny.

Also, Hobbes cameo for the win. And yes, I do love that move...though really, I'd almost think upgrading the shotgun to automatically break armor is more of a gamebreaker for standard enemies (if not bosses).

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does, and on top of that, you can remedy the upgrade problem but not boosting your katana's power, i was under the impression that yahtzee wouldnt bother with upgrades, because upgrades in games ALWAYS make you over powered

he also seems to have missed the camp in the writing, i thought if anyone other than jim sterling would appreciate it, it would be yahtzee, but now i can only assume he thinks jason's team is like say...any other ubisoft team.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
hcig said:
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does...
I dunno...it seemed more like he was delivering a backhanded compliment than bashing it.

Not so sure about the upgrades, though. Even if you don't upgrade your katana strength, all you need to do is force the enemy into a weak position and finish them (personally, I love the Guillotine->Matador and Matador->Shot combos). The complaint seemed to be that some of the automatically unlocked moves are rather overpowered.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahaha this was hilarious from the start, but well especially the end that made me lol

even the comments here are funny xD

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Yey. Back to a good standard! :D

I love my Wii, but I love hearing Yahtzee tear it to shreds.

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Yet another bullshit Wii game review from Yahtzee.

If I need to freking spell it out for you all, I will.

THE WII IS A PERFECTLY GOOD CONSOLE WITH PLENTY OF GOOD GAMES.

All you Yahtzee fanboys who blindly follow his opinions despite the fact that he WANTS people to have their own opinions need to die, preferably in a fire.

I don't really know why I keep commenting on these, Yahtzee is still going to make these unfunny bullshit "reviews" that serve no purpose other than to make me want to punch him in the face over the internet.

Anyway, Red Steel 2 is awesome. Buy it.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
While I do absolutely love this game, I have to admit this was still pretty funny.

Also, Hobbes cameo for the win. And yes, I do love that move...though really, I'd almost think upgrading the shotgun to automatically break armor is more of a gamebreaker for standard enemies (if not bosses).
oh wow, somebody else who agrees with me, the tiger (even fully upgraded) isnt as effective as he says it to be, and definately not as useful against bosses as he claims

but the full upgrade + special for the shotgun and sidewinder rifle are much worse, especially since even if an enemy is blocking, the explosive round of the rifle can be shot at the ground by them, and knock them over, then easily pop them again while their down, you can even 1-hit katakara if you get a headshot, though its somewhat remedied with the fact that the rifle rounds are rare, and max capacity is like, what, 20 or so rounds?

Dec 14, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:

All you Yahtzee fanboys who blindly follow his opinions despite the fact that he WANTS people to have their own opinions need to die, preferably in a fire.

I don't really know why I keep commenting on these, Yahtzee is still going to make these unfunny bullshit "reviews" that serve no purpose other than to make me want to punch him in the face over the internet.

So agreeing with an opinion makes someone a fanboy? Also, if you don't like the reviews, why watch them and make angry comments telling people to die? Obvious troll is obvious.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
hcig said:
yea, this would have been funnier and better if it wasnt for the wii trashing, or rather, the WM+ trashing, he is completely dishonest about what the WM+ does...
I dunno...it seemed more like he was delivering a backhanded compliment than bashing it.

Not so sure about the upgrades, though. Even if you don't upgrade your katana strength, all you need to do is force the enemy into a weak position and finish them (personally, I love the Guillotine->Matador and Matador->Shot combos). The complaint seemed to be that some of the automatically unlocked moves are rather overpowered.
well, maybe, with yahtzee i suppose its hard to tell, at least when it comes to anything wii related (take that backhanded comment at the beginning about the wii being a home for innovation, for example)

well ive been playing though on ninja, with weapons vanilla (except for revolver accuracy, its horribly off shot in the beginning) and pacing my special moves unlocks, and the game is significantly harder (if you input the nihonto hana code, its even harder, because its a wakizashi)

but it also seems to vary by fighting styles, Jason V, the director says he has noticed people have distinct fighting styles, and apparently "the gamer" or, the guy who doesnt give a damn, and rushes in to kill everything, tends to have an easier time with the game, because he is so focused on raging through the whole fight, he seems to almost become bulletproof, hahaha.

im a bit similar to you though, but without the guillotine, i spend alot of time moving from one enemy to another, taking down immediate threats, and chipping away at armor and health as i dash around the room, then once i get an opening, i use the reaper, the matador, or the shot to finish them off.

the reaper and matador are EPIC against shinjiro, and if you use the eagle, you can start a short mid-air battle

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
Well, while I did get a laugh, and I loved the Hobbes bit, this was ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE.
he is however right - three and half years and the fact that nintendo allowed wii music to exist... shows something of a deficiency in the company.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
drakenabarion said:
Yey. Back to a good standard! :D

I love my Wii, but I love hearing Yahtzee tear it to shreds.

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.
1.sadness was vaporware, sorry, but shattered memories is similar in concept, and it way friggin awesome (also very graphically appealing)

2.casual games dont need to burn, there are people that enjoy those games, the problem is the STIGMA needs to burn, so developers will put in proper time and money (like with RS2, silent hill, and monster hunter tri) to make a good game, sadly, RS2 isnt doing very well (though it has alot working against it) but silent hill sold well, and in japan, monster hunter tri sold the BEST of all the console MH games (still hard to compete with the psp market thought, as it is a portable version)

3.also, i like chess, but we need advance wars online instead :D

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:

You do realize it is his niche to flame everything, whatever game or console the game is played on? Fail?

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
itsmeyouidiot said:

So agreeing with an opinion makes someone a fanboy? Also, if you don't like the reviews, why watch them and make angry comments telling people to die? Obvious troll is obvious.
i still watch to be entertained
i have to say, this was way better than what he usually does with wii (this had backhanded compliments instead of straight out hateful insults) but you have to admit, yahtzee has a track record of flat out, sony level lying about the wii, and you know he does it just to spark ire. (trolling)

oh, and buy red steel 2, its awesome, despite what yahtzee says, the combat makes it worth it.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.