Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

or maybe its because it doesnt release until the end of next month :p

Lucky Grim

Aug 26, 2009
That was probably my favorite ZP yet. I can't say why, or what led me to that conclusion, but I walked away from the Red Steel review in better spirits than I have before when watching his reviews, so grats! Keep up the good work.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think it's weird how Yahtzee hasn't commented on getting spoofed in Doraleous and Associates.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
did anyone else notice the awful lot of masturbation jokes? I think Yahtzee is finally paying the price for his attitude towards relationships. ^^

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
DamianWorld said:
J-Dude said:
Yahtzee, you're a great reviewer, and God, I love ya', but I really hope your constant disappointment with anything made by Nintendo is more about your intent to come off as a people-hater than to genuinely be dissuading people from looking into it.

I agree as much as you will that motion control is just a long-term experiment, much like 3D movies. The only reason it's got such a free ride is because it's different. It's a gimmick if there ever was one. But even if I personally don't like using it and will prefer plugging in the Gamecube controller whenever I (rarely) play a Wii game, I understand the necessity of it all.

Look, the Wii is definitely designed around the casual gamer, and for many but the most devoted of Nintendo fans, a lot of it won't seem made for them. A lot of it will seem really easy, almost insultingly so, but I think that's the truth of it all. A LOT of the Wii ISN'T for those of us seeking greater and greater challenges, not to say the first-party Mario titles ever disappoint even now. Nintendo realized there was a vacuum in the market for games and consoles priced and intended for gamers who were never gamers before. They realized that just as they had raised our generation of now-hardcores' back in the NES/SNES/64 days, so too did the newest generation need the same thing. Except nobody else in the gaming industry was prepared to do that.

Back in the golden age, we had Atari, Sega and Nintendo, all GAMING companies. Since then, the two new big guys have stepped in and made a name for themselves, and as a whole Playstation and XBox are distributing gaming to the masses adequately. But the problem is, Sony and Microsoft aren't GAMING companies, they're massive multinational corporate empires, and they're less concerned with the ultimate fate of the gaming industry than they are about appealing to what people seem to want here and now.

Back in the 80's, comic books went to a point when the geekier aspect made for kids was almost chucked entirely out the window when the "Grim and Gritty" fad took over, with comics like Watchemen and Spawn forming bandwagons that everyone else jumped on, since all the older hardcore comic book fans thought it was so badass. But then, early 90's, those fans grew up and stopped buying comics out of necessity, and there were no young comic book reading kids to spur on a new generation. No Mom wanted to buy their kid "Spawn", are you kidding? And so the market imploded, and to this day you can't get kids to buy comic books, not unless they actually happen to be Japanese manga.

This can happen to gaming, and it looks all too likely that it will. Nintendo has played their cards smart, they know they need to attract and makes games for new gamers. The WiiMote and all it's motion-sensor garbage was probably a fluke, but Nintendo is going to use it, because everyone wants it. They've got themselves a mascot, a timeless symbol of gaming named Mario for the new gamers to rally behind, whereas Playstation has "BluRay Logo Man", and XBox has Master Chief, a faceless lump of emotionless armor. Casual gaming is getting parents and grandparents little kids to join the cause. And if it keeps up, gaming may stop being such an insider thing and enter the mass media, securing itself as part of our culture, the same way that comics, film and television did in their day, when THEY were the new kids on the block.

And it's working, the Wii may make a lot of shovel-ware needlessly, but it's conquering sales, and Nintendo is unthinkably on top as if the world had rewound back to the good old days. Nintendo is a gaming company, and they're willing to step back and be the elementary teachers of the new generation instead of running with their graduates, willing to immortalize gaming and do what's necessary to strengthen its weak points and its place in the world. Playstation and XBox are doing their thing just fine, but what casual game exists for the Playstation? Ratchet and Clank? That's about it. But without all those new gamers, the market will implode. And the second it does, Sony and XBox can and WILL opt out. No more Playstation, no more XBox, and they'd take a ton of 3rd party devs with them, since Nintendo will still be going, but will see no reason to keep the 3rd parties on life support. Goodbye Konami, goodbye Capcom.

Yahtzee, I understand. I know you WANT to root for Nintendo as much as anyone, but you see so little for you that you can't see how you can do that. You loved No More Heroes, so I know you're not indiscriminate, but rather than insist that however little you like it, the Wii is designed around casual and beginner gamers, you merely call the console worthless as a whole, and since so many people listen to your opinions Yahtzee, that's done far more harm than good, it's helped widen an unhealthy rift between the casual gamers and the hardcores. I'm sure that's not your intention, but the fact remains, we as gamers, hardcore or casual, need to stand as a whole for the love of our medium, to beat down the unfair negative stigmas gaming has garnered, especially to fight off the bullshit violence debate. The casual gamers are non-gamers giving gaming a go. How much more solid ground will we have if our Moms and Grandmoms become gamers in the slightest sense, no longer seeing the console as this untrustworthy bad-habit machine. We need this to get bigger, we need them on our side.

Nintendo understood this. The Wii doesn't have everything for everyone, but it just about has everything for someone, and those someone's are the casual gamers. They are necessary, and I applaud Nintendo for being the only ones to really see it, even if it means less content an experienced gamer like myself is likely to enjoy.
No-one cares
This is the kind of response you get when someone is ultimately defeated, doesn't like it, and lacks the brain power to come up with something smart.

Very nice speech. It actually has thought put into it, unlike the random Wii-haters in this thread.

OT: Despite problems, RS2 sounds much more playable than the first. Gonna rent it someday...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
I have to admit this game looks rather good. Definitely worth a rental to check it out.

I must say this is Yahtzee's first Wii review in several months which made me curious as to why he has not reviewed No More Heroes 2. Regardless of that, this Red Steel 2 review was a nice surprise.
he joked about "too good to rip on" before but im almost certain he cant complain enough to justify it :D

*laughs quietly to myself*

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
i had a lot of fun with this game, but i agree with yahtzee in that swordfighting is the only kind of hardcore gameplay that could be enhanced by the motionplus.

best review in a long time

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

The Australian release dates do point to the possibility of No More Heroes 2 not being reviewed yet just like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
hcig said:
drakenabarion said:
Yey. Back to a good standard! :D

I love my Wii, but I love hearing Yahtzee tear it to shreds.

Now what the Wii needs is someone to burn all those casual games and start again. Even if there were good games on Wii, at the moment its too embarrassing rummaging through "My favourite pet kitten", "Barbies Magical Adventure" and other such made up titles which wouldn't shock my if the did really exist.

Wii was supposed to be a new and futuristic gaming system, not just another way to play chess.

p.s. Does anyone know if "Sadness" will ever be released? Along with Zelda, it was one of the reasons I bought the Wii on release date but seems to have vanished/been cancelled.
1.sadness was vaporware, sorry, but shattered memories is similar in concept, and it way friggin awesome (also very graphically appealing)

2.casual games dont need to burn, there are people that enjoy those games, the problem is the STIGMA needs to burn, so developers will put in proper time and money (like with RS2, silent hill, and monster hunter tri) to make a good game, sadly, RS2 isnt doing very well (though it has alot working against it) but silent hill sold well, and in japan, monster hunter tri sold the BEST of all the console MH games (still hard to compete with the psp market thought, as it is a portable version)

3.also, i like chess, but we need advance wars online instead :D
Okay you are right, its not the fault of casual games. But the problem when I go into a game store is that I can almost only find casual games on the Wii. Wii ported flash type games don't appeal to me, but I guess its obvious that they are making a lot of money for Nintendo, and Pop Cap games :)

But I hope Red Steel 2 is a step in the right direction. From what I can tell, it is a much more refined gaming experience. And a game doesn't need high definition or 2.9 billion polygons per seconds to be good. But time will tell if anyone else tried to do something new with that platform.

(Oh I like Chess too, and also Go (Japanese board game based on the idea of capturing territory for those who are not familiar) :D )

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
In an effort to make this game hard, I never bought ANY armor or health upgrades and almost NEVER used the Tiger. Result: A hard game... Seriously. Though that's especially true on the hard difficulty setting. I know it sucks, but if you want to keep this game hard, you have to not buy things and choose not to use a special move... Still fun as hell though. Also, don't worry about getting different attacks, those are too cool not to get. Some of them are essential to not dieing every three minutes.

All in all, Yatzee didn't seem to hate this game too much. He said what reviewers say, just with more hyperbole (as usual). That makes me happy as... I liked the game quite a lot.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
I love how every time he reviews a Wii title there's a bevvy of masturbation jokes. XD

Lovely review. Kind of makes me wish I had the game. Hacky hacky slashy slashy is rather cathartic.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
sneeky033 said:
i had a lot of fun with this game, but i agree with yahtzee in that swordfighting is the only kind of hardcore gameplay that could be enhanced by the motionplus.

best review in a long time
whats with this line of thinking?

first off, ANY sports game benefits, and thats an easy example to think of, second, adventure games can benefit from the level of interactivity.

now, what games exist that dont have gameplay based around sports, interaction with environment, or swords? shooters of course

and think about how WM+ can benefit shooters, the whole point behind the iron sight aiming trend was to allow a more fine aiming ability which was unavailable to people playing with game pads, but with the wii, its remedied by the bounding box.

now think about this, if youve got wii motion plus, while playing an fps, you now have control over the entire gun, so if you want to fire from the hip? simply fire from your actual hip, want to fine aim? bring the gun to your shoulder, and you can look right down the sights

with the WM+ you can make melee attacks more aggressive, if you simply snap the remote forward (like we do in most wii games) you would do little to no damage, and would probably just piss someone off, but if you got down and brutally beat the enemy with your wiimote/gun, it would lead to a much more visceral and involving experience .

plus, call of duty knife fighting would be awesome.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
Thank God, Yahtzee actually did an accurate and extremely funny review of a relevant game. It seems like every time he picks a game that is actually worth reviewing it's half-assed, inaccurate, or not that funny. This definitely wasn't the case.

I think that motion technology will have to be elaborated a great deal, in ways that we haven't even comprehended yet in order to even keep up with traditional mediums. Just because something is capable of being done in a "different" way, doesn't mean that difference is more fun or efficient.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
hcig said:
SkullCap said:
hcig said:
SkullCap said:

*Looks up silent hill release date...*

jesus christ, why do they do that crap to those poor australians? i feel sorry for non north american gamers, they get the shaft big time
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories=April 22, 2010

I haven't the slightest idea. You'd think Australia would get games faster because Australia is much closer to Japan. Oh well...

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
What? You reviewed Red Steel 2 before No More Heroes 2? What the hell, Yahtzee? You actually liked the first No More Heroes, and to the best of my knowledge, No More Heroes 2 has been out longer than Red Steel 2, so what gives?