Zero Punctuation: Sonic Unleashed

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I don't think Sonic team is necessarily populated by retards, but I think it's safe to say they're not the industry golden goose. The remind me of Bethesda in a way that there are some people in there that know what they are doing, and some whom should've been given the boot a long time ago.

For example, the level design team explained why the game isn't all "classic" stages with what basically amounts to "that sounds like we'd have to do work".

Seriously, they said it'd be too much of a bother to make more of those stages because they have to be really long so you have space to run on.

Of what I've seen of Unleashed it looks more like a tech demo than a game, and of not that impressive technology :p

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Why-am-I-not-surprised?

I pretty much agree with everything. The best Sonic games are those "good old" 2D. Everything in 2D/3D (like "Sonic 3D" *wink*) or just 3D sucks. Only zealotic masochistic fanboys, as Yahtzee said, living in caves feeding on fishes, like the new games. But I can't wait for Warhammer or World of Warcraft review. Assuming you will make them.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Awesome! I think this is the angriest review Yahtzee has ever given. Hell, he was civil even with the "Too Human" and "MOH Airborne" reviews. This was a breath of fresh air in a cold and dreary finals week.

And I will now check out Yathzee's new show.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I happene to be a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, yet I agree with everything he just said.

BTW, how long until Yahtzee reviews Mother 3?

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Finally! Someone who gives the newest Sonic game what it deserves. Absolutely hilarious and excellent points made.

Also I totally agree about Sonic Team - they are a bunch of asinine morons. I wish I had never bought SATSR, worst decision I ever made; arbitrary obstacle placement, terrible storyline, embarrassing cutscenes and overall terrible design.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, this might be the funniest ZP I have experienced narrowly edging out the Orange Box.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Strange thing is, after watching this review, I really want to play this game. Wierd, huh?

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
This review was funnier than some of the recent ones.
but it gets predictible when we all know its a bad game. its more interesting to hear his opinions of popular games, like when he did halo 3.

I posted last week he should make videos on his own site, coincidence or did he actually take MY advice.

Bart Wux

Dec 4, 2008
Just a tip, since he's been using german words quite often lately: I don't know if that's the joke, but you cannot just translate word by word. "other than that" does not translate to "anders als das" and "Welcome to" does not translate to "Willkommen nach". Oh and my asolute favourit: "Essen die Scheiße" could not be further from "Eat that shit"!

Review itself was still good, once again truly mean.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I thought it was very funny to watch and I agree that sonic should have died off a long time ago when the dreamcast did

Xaintrix

Sep 19, 2008
The teary eyed Old Yeller scene is what got me totally laughing. Great job. Horrible game. When I saw the "Man-Hog" get debuted in trailers, it really left me going wtf.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Way to teach it to those little uppity bastards. Not nearly as many posts before they could of possibly seen it this week (only one and even he was scared to out right call it good before he saw it).

This weeks review was above average with humour related to the actual game instead of drawling on about something unrelated. Very good on picking out it's problems albeit you failed to find anything good about the game which I blame solely on the fact you got it for the Wii.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
FINALLY!!! Someone who speaks out against the fuck-capades of terrible Sonic games after he crashed and burned on the Dreamcast! (Except Sonic Advance obviously)

But I kinda hoped you'd tear this game to hell and back way more than this, though I suppose this will suffice... Until the moneymilking bastards decide to make yet another sequel for you to hunt down.

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
Say what you will about me, or about the game, but to be honest, it's not so bad. I'm guessing Yahtzee reviewed the Wii version - which as I understand it, is missing a considerable amount of content. It fills these "gaps" in content with more "Werehog", to the point where I've heard the Werehog-to-Sonic ratio stands at about 4:1.

I got the Xbox 360 version for myself, to review it for our site, and I honestly enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to be daft and call the game perfect or anywhere close to it, but really, if you really give it a chance (as opposed to writing it off as "shit" before you even put the disc in), it's pretty enjoyable.

Unfortunately, not many people have patience for an imperfect 3D Sonic game these days, it seems. Even if that "imperfect 3D Sonic game" is probably the best one we've gotten since Sega was still in the business of producing game hardware.

kadian1364

Dec 17, 2008
I signed up just to comment on this video.

That was one of the most loathing, malice-laced, insult-slinging tirades I've seen on Zero Punctuation in quite a while. It was like Sonic came out of his TV, shouted some expletives about Yahtzee's mum, and kicked him in the balls. And then Yahtzee responded in kind with boldfaced, seething anger. And it was great.

Sure, that kind of thing is not going to work every week, but no one can tear into a flawed game, rip it apart piece by piece, and chew up and spit out its insides quite like Yahtzee.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Proof that Yahtzee is a demi-god of the Internets: he launches a new TV series with his mates and makes it something brilliant and still has time to produce an equally brilliant new Zero Punctuation feature, making short work of a once-beloved mammalian mascot and making a veiled comment about the pretentious and lackluster return of what is laughingly trying to pass itself off as 'Guns N Roses'.

If you missed it, watch this week's ZP again, only when Sonic is on-stage playing for people's parents, picture him with long stringy blond hair wearing a bandanna louder than the bassist and a face full of Botox.