Zero Punctuation: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Eh I laughed a few times but I felt the "America sucks ahahahaha retarded tossers" joke was not well done. I can laugh at a good joke at my country or political ideology but if it was well done. Like the cowboy hat in the space ship from last episode was funny. Even in I forget what review when at the end everyone is slaves and the republican is like "Why do you hate freedom?" I cracked up and I'm conservative. I just wish he would take some shots at Liberals every once in awhile if he feels so inclined as to make political jokes and no making fun of Hilary Clinton once does not count. This just seemed more like just plan hate for America more so than anything else. Of course this is just how I merely interpreted his words so don't go all flame war on me will you? Still good review and the hungry hungry hippos thing was pretty funny.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I found it so easy it wasn't funny, he was right there.

McGee

Mar 31, 2009
I have pretty much the same views as Yahtzee on this one. After playing games like Thief and Hitman that are extremely fun and open-ended stealth games, Conviction is absolute garbage. I went into it expecting a stealth game, and it was an appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator action game. The most disappointing thing has to be the supremely awful AI. Co-op was fun with a friend, but a short co-op game with just as retarded guards isn't worth $60. It kind of sucks because I absolutely loved the first 3 splinter cells, didn't like double agent very much, and thought this one would be the great comeback. I was wrong.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
RyoScar said:
Spliter Cell isn't a good 'steath game' it's more of just a shooter with steath elements.
I seriously don't know what game your playing but Conviction is only a "shooter with stealth elements" if you suck at finding an alternate sneak point or never use gadgets.

OT: The plot was pretty easy to understand, he wasn't in hiding when the game started, he had a hint to his daughters killer. Tom Reed thought he was getting close to his take over America plot(which btw wasn't taking over the U.S., it was putting the vp in power who had the same ideals as the big corperation who ran major cities and would cooperate with said corperation.) so he tried to take him out early, the only reason Sam wasn't killed right away was because of Grim.

Also the AI is only really retarded when your playing on rookie, which is same for all other games on the easy difficulty.

tburke0

Nov 18, 2009
Kross said:
tburke0 said:
All I'm asking is, if there's a rule that all posts before 12:05 are pulled, why not lock the thread? And yes, I waited until I could post in the first 5 minutes on a Wednesday to make my point... hurr durr...
Well, one part of the reason is that letting people get banned for things easy to catch means we have less people who ignore rules getting banned for harder to find offenses.

And the rule isn't that they can't post within 5 minutes, the rule is "no first posting". However, mods are human, and sometimes may ban before reading in the case of ZP threads. I think we've mostly stopped that these days though.

When you post something like "I enjoyed/hated this review" before it was physically possible to enjoy the review, then the only reason you are posting is to be a first post, or for something else equally inane.

If you post something legitimate and on topic (Random example of a rare post that actually contributes some discussion to a zp thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.176837.5096925]) then it doesn't matter when you post it. The end result is it is a very rare post outside of a problem report with the video that can be considered to be anything other then a "first post" in this context.

Also, if we did a 5 minute lock, we would still have the same problem with idiots waiting for the unlock to spam the thread in pursuit of a first post.
Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Santa Clauz

Sep 23, 2009
wow, I never really bothered before, but skimming the comments, it just seems to me 4.5/6 pages of people sucking Yahtzee off.

In any case, as has been said, Splinter cell AI is only retarded on rookie, and the "playing for you" is actually necessary on realistic. Find me a person who is not an obsessive compulsive gamer who can beat realistic without insta-kill melee and executions, and he is a god of video games.

That said, the plot was complete crap

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Loved the last analogy. As fantastic as always.
Imma definitely getting my hands on Mogworld.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I always thought a waterproof camel would come in handy somewhere.

After all the positives I heard about this game, I was quite surprised to hear such a scathing review. Then again, enjoyment is in the eyes of the beholder. I haven't had a chance to play this one yet, though I enjoyed the first Splinter Cell quite a lot, someone told me this one was very different, and it sort of put me off, like it was completely losing focus on the whole "stealth" thing (which drew me to the series in the first place).

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Good review, I agreed with pretty much all of it. I've always liked Splinter Cell games, but the last two have let the series down. Conviction was okay but it was very short and didn't really have the charm of the first 3. The shadows bug me the most; in the first 3 Splinter Cells the Shadows were very prominent... you had a meter to tell you how visible you were, but in the last two they did away with it. Why? The little slider was perfect... how all we have is Black and White... you're either visible or you're not, nothing in between, it's very poor. Also, in Conviction, as with Double Agent (which I thought was absolute dog shit) the shadows are really light, I have no freaking idea how Sam can hide in them... he really must be the master of stealth to hide in these piss puddles of darkness.
Ubisoft have changed SC too much from the old formula I reckon... it's just a bland 3rd person shooter now. Innovation is fine, but don't dumb the fucking game down.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Five foot eight?!

With all the amazing graphics nowadays details on flesh so specific you can see people's old acne scars. Why do so many games still not get height? Speaking as a giant this hurts my feelings. There's so many games where there are only two heights 'man' and 'woman'. Height can be very important to characterization.

oh yeah... and I burrowed the first title from a friend way back when and added splinter cell to my list of 'games I don't understand why they're popular and I don't like it' maybe it's because I had played the much Superior hitman games so much before that.
Or maybe it's because I think Tom Clancy is one of the worst writers in American history. There are weirdos trying to get people to give 'feedback' to their half-assed two chapter novels on message boards across the internet that I can tolerate more.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Another over hyped title that's been stupidly simplified for the modern gamer. Well shit, and hear I was actually thinking of buying it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
WolfmanNougat said:
Wait, you've gone through the whitehouse many times in video games and nobody's kicked up a fuss (as far as I'm aware, at least), yet as soon as a humble church gets involved in a virtual firefight, the Christians roll out the "Videogames are teh sacrelige" banners?
I guess Obama really is the only level-headed person left in America, then.

Also, I'd say the reason America is always being taken over in fiction is because they're so in love with themselves that they think everyone wants a piece because they are equally in love. Of course, this game being made in Canada kinda derails that idea a bit.
First of all it wasn't 'Christians' that got upset about that. It was the bishop of the catholic church overseeing that cathedral. Which is to say a handful of powerful Catholics, not all of Christendom. Please don't be bigoted and lump us all together.

For good or for ill, at this time the USA is still a world superpower. That's the simple reason that people in entertainment MEDIA want to take it over as opposed to say... Burma, Peru, or South Africa. Though these may all be fine nations indeed they are not political or military superpowers and without sounding callous if you told someone that a megalomaniac had gotten the keys to Luxembourg's bomb cabinet I think you'd hear from most of the world populous a resounding 'so?' The only other nation accepted as many as a superpower is China and can you imagine the 'unfortunate implications' that would take place from someone attempting to take it over.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I'm not sure what difficulty he was playing but B will not take-down ppl in every instance. If they see you they will shove you back then proceed to hit you with an AK47 to the chest which is pretty much a 1hit kill.

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
I agree about not controlling him, and disagree about everything else.
Remember how Sam's old co-worker is now a mole and is second in command to the evil leader? Are you trying to say she wouldn't just go "That Sam Fisher guy knows about everything." or something to that extent to get him involved? And did you ignore how it was the Vice President (who was in the pocket of the same organization that Tom Reed was) that was going to become President, not Reed? And I'm pretty sure Americans would like to take over their country sometimes, especially since the only foreigners were in the first level (with the possible exception of some of the mercs).