Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Hopperdopper

Aug 17, 2009
Are we talking about the same game here?

He didn't even mention the graveyard servers IN PEAK HOURS, FPS issues, brainless rude ToRons, 300 mil dollar project that coughed up this mess of a game and promising an experience in the words of, "unlike other mmorpgs, you DON'T grind or fight a big monster with lots of people in ToR, because that isn't very heroic".

-Then Yahtzee says something about how all MMOs are like this-

That's not the point! They promised something different and delivered this waste of an IP.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Qitz said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Star Wars: The Old Republic

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watch Video
After reviewing WoW I'm surprised he bothered with SWTOR but then it is a bit more single player focuses so I guess it can be easier to check out.

Also, you still get Dark Side points even if the winning invisi-roll was Light Side, you just don't get to see the cut scene.

Real question was, did Yahtzee play the virtuous smuggler or the "I'll bang anything that moves" kind?
Yeah, who would have thought that he would review two games of the same genre after giving favourable criticism to the first of the two. The strangest thing is that he has now stated that he enjoyed both games to some degree.

OT: Brilliant video. I loved the end joke.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh, okay then, guess despite my love for Bioware I'll wait for it to inevitably go free-to-play before I give it a shot and inevitably drop it after a few days.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.
Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.
http://i.imgur.com/j2CQY.jpg

Saw this and turned me away from this game, but I still feel its BS.
You can contact your bank and tell them to stop sending the money. That's been the general advice I've seen kicked around.

Bioware: Putting customer service first.

(I played this at my buddies for an hour: it's okay, but pretty much just like WOW, for good or bad. The main difference is less exploration-but you get voice acting and Bioware "choices".)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I now have a new definition for the MMORPG! Thank God for Jim Yahtzee!

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
RaikuFA said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.
Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.
http://i.imgur.com/j2CQY.jpg

Saw this and turned me away from this game, but I still feel its BS.
Haha - that's pretty funny. Kind of silly letting one persons crappy experience ruin your own, but to each their own. Nice review

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Swtor is a great game. All it needs is a nice outdoor hub that people can freely duel in. Make it a bit more social *though alot of people are absorbed into the excellent single player questing*. Tidy up the responsiveness a bit and hammer out some bugs.

Im playing both wow and tor, and tor feels like the future of the mmo genre in alot of ways. Im having serious considerations for leaving permanently leaving wow for tor.

Mists of pandaria will try to bring me back but idk...

C F

Jan 10, 2012
The Gentleman said:
I imagine Yahtzee would like the Sith Warrior campaign more seeing as you get to torture people within the first hour.
I think the Imperial Agent would have been the best fit for him. I know it's a bit too late to be advising character classes; he already played and reviewed it. I'm just putting that out there. He always struck me as the conniving behind-the-scenes stealth enthusiast.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
This was the first ZP to make me cackle out loud for quite some time.

Loved the "cows go moo" line and the end joke. I bet that was a pun he'd been waiting to use for quite some time.

As for the game itself, I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm saving it for a long dry spell.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).
I wonder if his opinion would changed if he had a longer time to play it?
It's not exactly a new joke. I think last time I heard it, they did it better because it was poetry set to music.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Surprised and happy he chose to do this one.
He liked it *way* more than I.
Amazing he did not completely poop on it.

Hot Karl aside, I loved the Brugge and Belgium reference!

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Just a quick note: If you choose light side and the convo "winner" chooses dark side (and vice versa) you do actually get points for your choice, not the resulting choice. Which can make the group stuff HILARIOUS.

I actually found the convo system to be MORE fun when you're in a group.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm surprised you went ahead and tackled SWToR actually and what a funny and witty video was made from the whole thing.

You've done it again Yahtzee,"tip my hat" to you.

PS: Loved the pun @ the end.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not surprised Yahtzee would assume you'd get light or dark points according to what happens, since the actual system is a bit of a cop out.

"Yeah, I know I stood by and did nothing while my psycho team mates blew those innocent men out of an airlock, but I was thinking about saving them so I'm still a good guy."

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Oh, you played a Smuggler...I'm so sorry. I found it to be one of the worst stories in the game.

Imperial Agent (the Empire equivalent of Smuggler) being the best, of course. While the Smuggler story felt phoned in and padded, the Imperial Agent story progressed in such a logical and compelling way that I didn't feel like I was just being dragged to the next planet along with everyone else.

Plus, it actually feels like a fun and unique addition to the Star Wars universe. You get to see the Empire in a different light than you usually do, the morality is more interesting, and it doesn't revolve around the Jedi and Sith (who have both gotten very boring). Plus you get to be Space James Bond, so that's cool too. (It also has the best cast of companion characters by far, not counting the first one you get. She's horrible. But her unrelenting bitchiness does get kind of funny.)

Of course what happens after you reach 50 is a different story. I'm pretty much just sitting around waiting for expansions now. But I will play them; I just love the characters that much.